Tuesday News: Computational literacy, Diana Norman’s daughter finishes mother’s book, cool...

But let’s back up a step: What if learning to code weren’t actually the most important thing? It turns out that rather than increasing the number of kids who can crank out thousands of lines of JavaScript, we first need to boost the number who understand what code can do. As the cities that have hosted Code for America teams will tell you, the greatest contribution the young programmers bring isn’t the software they write. It’s the way they think. It’s a principle called “computational thinking,” and knowing all of the Java syntax in the world won’t help if you can’t think of good ways to apply it. –Mother Jones

Because instead of grieving for her as desperately as I would have done otherwise, I was able to continue a dialogue with her — coming to terms with her physical loss by climbing inside her head; thinking her thoughts and writing with her voice, which, to me anyway, still sounded so strong.

I even adopted her writing regime, and would sit from 9am until 5pm at my computer at home in London, tapping away; and then, in the evenings, re-reading her books to make sure I had her style.

When news of what I was doing spread, I was contacted by many of her friends and fellow writers, offering their support — which I found enormously comforting. After eight months, the manuscript had to be delivered. Mum never missed a deadline, so I couldn’t be late. –The Daily Mail

A few weeks ago we had the opportunity to attend BookExpo America (BEA), the largest annual publishing event in North America. The event, held this year in New York City, was attended by over 750 authors and 1,000 exhibitors from the publishing industry. In addition to author events and exhibitions, the BEA Bloggers Conference took place. We found out about some great new blogs while attending BEA and decided to share some of our favorites. –Book Vibe Blog

1. Jayne
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 04:54:58

I am so excited about the Diana/Samantha Norman book. Now – being greedy – if she can just take up the “Adelia Aguilar” series …

2. Zara Keane
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 05:44:24

I’m looking forward to reading the last Diana Norman/Ariana Franklin book, even if it’ll be a bittersweet experience. She’s one of my favourite authors.

3. Darlene Marshall
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 07:19:46

That’s a sweet story about Diana Norman’s daughter, and a comfort to readers as well. I don’t know if non-readers appreciate the sense of loss and sadness we feel when one of our favorite writers passes away, especially when they’re taken too soon. Thanks for sharing, and I look forward to the new novel.

4. Kaetrin
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 07:39:36

Is it just me who thinks it odd that an article about Diana Norman’s daughter, Samantha Norman, finishing a book her mother began, the Daily Mail’s article is entitled “From Barry Norman’s daughter…”???

5. LeeF
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 08:31:33

I realized after clicking on the Samantha Norman article that I had read Mistress of the Art of Death quite awhile ago. This inspires me to see if my library has any other Diane Norman’s books.

6. Kim W
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 08:39:21

The coding article is interesting. I work as a sys admin/computer programmer and I spent a few hours last night trying to interest my high school age son in coding by teaching him some basic Java. I think I did a pretty poor job of it since his eyes were glazing over the entire time. It’s weird that I find everything about computer programming fascinating and all the interest he could come up with was how much would the job pay some day.

7. Ros
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 09:21:34

@Kaetrin: A little bit, except that it’s a UK newspaper and Barry Norman is very much more famous here than his wife, even under her pen name. I would not have known who Diana Norman was, and I’ve barely heard of Arianna Franklin – and I am a romance reader. But Barry Norman is a household name.

8. Ros
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 09:25:47

@Ros: Oh, she wasn’t a romance novelist. That might explain why I didn’t know her pen name.

9. Lada
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:37:27

Is anyone else still having issues with DA? Yesterday I had trouble even getting to the site until later in the day. I was hoping that was due to updates but I’m not seeing any improvement. I still have to refresh every page I go to (sometimes multiple times) in order to load latest articles, reviews, comments, etc.

I’m willing to do this because, well, DA, but newcomers may be missing out. Just curious…

10. Lada
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 10:39:13

I just got spammed…could someone please pull my comment? Thx.

11. Susan
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 13:34:20

@Lada: Yes, I’ve been having problems off and on for about a week. I think Jane said they’re working on some system/server problems. And I also got marked as spam yesterday, so it’s not just you. :-)

12. MaryK
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 13:37:06

@Lada: Yeah. My DA bookmark doesn’t take me to the current DA homepage. I have to click on the site header to get the current page or click on a subheading (“news”) to see the newest post under it.

13. Joanna
    Jun 17, 2014 @ 14:01:30

Also still having problems with the DA page and having trouble getting the new pages up. Hope they get it fixed soon – also because of DA newcomers!

Jun 17, 2014 @ 14:11:12

Thanks folks. I sent this thread to the developer. Hopefully these issues can be resolved.