Tuesday News: B&N to launch in the UK in October; Penguin...

nook is coming to the uk

“The story of Microsoft’s lost decade could serve as a business-school case study on the pitfalls of success. For what began as a lean competition machine led by young visionaries of unparalleled talent has mutated into something bloated and bureaucracy-laden, with an internal culture that unintentionally rewards managers who strangle innovative ideas that might threaten the established order of things.”

If it’s science fiction, fantasy, contemporary, historical, erotic, inspirational romance, urban fantasy, paranormal – or any mixture of the above, Harlequin Escape’s got it. We offer all levels of sensuality from the sweetest kisses to the hottest encounters. We offer different lengths, from short stories through novellas to full length novels. Our novels are standalone, loosely connected, or part of an ongoing series.  More at HarlequinEscape.

Edited to add:  I received a few answers from Harlequin Australia.

• Any debut titles that we should be watching for?  Not as yet – we’re on the hunt for brilliant new voices right now!
  • Do you have a release schedule?  Not as yet – we hope to launch our debut titles by the end of the year
  • Any pricing details?  All of our titles will be priced competitively and informed by word count
  • Availability?  All titles will be DRM free and available globally  from all major eRetailers
  • Will the settings be primarily Australia and (I assume) New Zealand?  Setting will not be limited to Australia and NZ, however we are dedicated to bringing Australian and New Zealand voices to readers globally.
  • For the authors on my site, any word on the royalty? We’ll keep you posted!

What is Destiny Romance looking for? Destiny Romance is passionately interested in all kinds of romantic fiction, from sweet and tender through to saucy and sensual. We’re looking for all subgenres, including but not limited to: contemporary, historical, suspense, paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi and erotica. If you’ve come up with a new style of romance, then we’re interested in that too. We are accepting shorter length stories from 25,000 words right up to full-length novels of 100,000-plus. We will not consider manuscripts of less than 25,000 words, non-fiction work, children’s books or poetry. A strong voice, originality and intense emotions will help your manuscript stand out in the crowd. At this stage, we are particularly on the hunt for historical (Regency) romance, contemporary romance featuring high-powered men and women, medical romance, and erotic romance.

Apparently Soho Press is launching a YA line. You can see the debut trailer at The BookSmugglers. The press email I received yesterday promised something very neat if I posted the “exclusive” code. So here it is. Anything exciting happening? Dollar bills falling out of the screen?

1. library addict
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 05:26:42

So, dare we hope this is a sign Harlequin will go DRM free on their category lines soon as well?

2. LG
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 06:19:58

@library addict: Exactly what I was thinking.

3. Christine M.
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 07:55:21

I can’t trust the bf to remember to take Lactaid pills when he eats dairy when he gets incredibly sick and in pain if he doesn’t taken them and I would have to trust him to remember to take *his* pill every day/week/month so that *I* don’t end up pregnant? Yeah, right. >.>

4. Maili
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 08:34:42

“Disruptions: The Next Wave for the Wristwatch”

I’m giggling because I actually had a similar wristwatch when I was a kid. It was designed to help me with coordination (it had an internal compass and a street navigator, a bit like TomTom, but in text), schedule reminders, localised train/bus timetables, alarm alerts and school timetable. All in accordance with a base station that fed specific information to all wearers. A chunky thing, too. Not that heavy, but it felt like there was a house sitting on my wrist. Ugly as well. It was black with grey trims and a blue strap. The scheme was abandoned roughly a year later after it found too expensive to maintain. Nice idea while it lasted, though.

5. Brian
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 08:44:23

@library addict:

We can hope (fingers crossed), but people hoped for the same thing when Carina launched and this sounds like something similar to Carina to me. Harlequin should have more info on the DRM vs non-DRM issue than any other publisher, and something has kept them from dropping it so far, I wonder what.

Aug 21, 2012 @ 08:48:42

I confess admitting confusion about all these branches of digital first publishers for traditional publishers. Like how does Penguin Australia differ from Intermix? Or how does Harlequin Australia differ from Carina? Why would an Australian author want to publish with Harlequin Australia versus Carina?

7. DS
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 10:26:09

I wanted to kick myself when I didn’t see the Pebble Kickstarter until it was finished. I may end up buying one. I’m not a watch fan though, I have some expensive ones and never wear them.

8. Wahoo Suze
    Aug 21, 2012 @ 22:40:56

That soho teen thing has a countdown clock on it with 139 days (and 19 hours, etc). I’m really, really not going to be paying attention to it for that long. Maybe they think you ought to post it someplace prominent on the website so that we all see it every time we come here? And wait with bated breath for SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY to happen?

Yah, no.

9. Estara
    Aug 22, 2012 @ 04:33:13

@Christine M.: Exactly my thought ^^.

10. Angela James
    Aug 23, 2012 @ 11:35:26

A little insight into Harlequin Escape:

Harlequin Escape will be acquiring a broad range of editorial with a focus on local market author acquisition. In other words, Australia will be acquiring editorial that appeals to the Australian market. Australian authors who already write for Harlequin imprints including Carina Press will continue to do so.

It will be up to authors to decide where they want to submit, they will have a choice. If the author thinks his/ her story has global appeal they should submit to Carina. If they thinks the story is more appealing to the Australian market they should send to Harlequin Escape.

One thing I will note is that we do ask, as always with Harlequin’s various imprints, that an author not submit simultaneously across our imprints. If an author submits to Carina, they shouldn’t also send to Harlequin Escape at the same time. We always tell authors that if one imprint says no, that doesn’t mean it won’t work for another imprint, like Carina, so you can send to another if you hear no from the first.

Hopefully that clears up some of the questions. I’m sorry I’m not in a position to address some of the others, but I did want to respond to that one.

Angela James