Tuesday News: B&N CEO resigns; Francis Ray passes on; HarperCollins implements...

“Michael Huseby, who was the company’s CFO, replaces Lynch as CEO of Nook Media and president of Barnes & Noble. Mitchell Klipper remains CEO of Barnes & Noble’s retail division. Huseby and Klipper will report to Barnes & Noble’s executive chairman and largest stockholder, Leonard Riggio.”

This further separation continues to highlight how Barnes & Noble’s Nook Media has no real direction. Riggio is probably desperate to unload it. Perhaps Microsoft will buy it for a song. Maybe Random Penguin should buy it and lease its technology back to Barnes & Noble. paidContent

“Using a stylus pen and Autography’s author application on iPad devices, Avon Impulse authors will digitally personalize e-books for fans, signing their name to ePub files and including a customized message.”

These books are free and will be made available at a special signing. No kindle versions, though. Inbox

Francis RayIt is with great sadness that St. Martin’s Press announces that longtime and bestselling author Francis Ray passed away on July 2nd.

A native Texan who resided in Dallas, Ray published 54 novels, many of which appeared on the New York Times, USA Today and Essence bestsellers lists. Her latest, ALL THAT I NEED, part of the Grayson Friends series, was published July 2nd, with the next book in the series, ALL THAT I DESIRE, scheduled for publication in the fall.

Ray was first published by St. Martin’s in two anthologies, ROSIE’S CURL AND WEAVE (1999) and DELLA’S HOUSE OF STYLE (2000). Her first mainstream novel, THE TURNING POINT (2001), was a finalist for the highly esteemed Holt Medallion Award, and she subsequently established the Turning Point Legal Fund to assist victims of domestic violence.

Her many awards and achievements include the Romantic Times Career Achievement Award, The Golden Pen, The Emma Award, and The Atlantic Choice. Her 1999 novel, INCOGNITO, became the first-ever made-for-TV movie for Black Entertainment Television (BET).  Her first book to appear on the New York Times bestsellers list was NOBODY BUT YOU (2009)

“I’ve had the extreme pleasure of working with Francis Ray for the past thirteen years,” said Monique Patterson, Executive Editor at St. Martin’s Press. “Francis was passionate, loving, feisty, funny, serious about her craft and about the people in her life. She touched them with her presence and with the stories she shared with all of us—and those stories were emotional and powerful. I think it’s safe to say that Francis paved the way for a lot of writers, especially in romance. She will be deeply, deeply missed by all of us.”

Matthew Shear, St. Martin’s Executive Vice President and Publisher, said “Francis Ray was not only a wonderful writer but she was a particularly caring person who went out of her way to make sure everyone around her was doing well. You could tell from her novels that human interaction and relationships were one of the most important things to her. She will be missed.”

Viewings

•  Friday July 12, 2013, 4:00-7:00 PM
  • Saturday, July 13, 2013, 9:30-11:00 AM

Concord Church
6808 Pastor Bailey Dr
Dallas, TX 75237
(214) 331-8522

Funeral

Saturday July 13, 2013,  11 AM

Concord Church
6808 Pastor Bailey Dr
Dallas, TX 75237
(214) 331-8522

Cards and notes for the family may be sent to:
Francis Ray
P. O. Box 764651
Dallas, TX 75376

1. Danielle D
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 06:43:54

RIP Francis.

2. Patricia Eimer
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 07:30:37

R.I.P. Francis Ray, a legion of romance readers will miss you

3. SAO
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 07:54:35

I don’t know why anyone would buy a Nook. It’s got a proprietary format and it’s dying, so there’s the question of 5 years down the road, will any Nook books still be readable? The only thing B&N can do is get rid of DRM, but if they do, does it make any sense to stay in the technology business with their own e-Reading device?

4. hapax
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 08:28:43

@SAO:

FWIW, I bought a Nook because I vastly prefer e-ink devices, and because Kindle is even MORE proprietary. I tried Sony readers first, but they are clunky and died quickly and their customer service is the worst I’ve ever dealt with.

5. LG
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 09:05:14

@SAO: Well, you can buy a Nook and then not buy any Nook Books – that’s what I’ve been doing for the past couple years, and I’ve still managed to amass plenty of books to read. Nooks can read DRM-free EPUB just fine. There’s also the option of buying Nook Books and then stripping the DRM, the way some do with Kindle books.

6. Liz H.
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 10:15:25

@SAO: Nook’s don’t have a proprietary format; they read epubs, both DRM and non-DRM, B&N purchased and non-B&N purchased. They are far more open than Kindles.
    Although connected, Nook devices and B&N ebooks/(what you are calling Nook books) are not interchangeable. Even if B&N stops producing devices, I think it’s highly unlikely that they will stop selling ebooks.

7. Little Red
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 13:14:27

Ditto to what everybody has already said about the Nook.

8. MaryK
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 13:17:44

It’d be a good idea for them to publicize what app will be used for the digital book signing beforehand or there’s liable to be a bunch of disappointed readers looking for wifi to download the appropriate app.

9. Janine
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 19:52:57

Condolences to Francis Ray’s loved ones.

10. Sunita
    Jul 09, 2013 @ 21:54:14

I bought a Nook Glow Light when it came out, and despite the annoyances of navigating the B&N ebook site, I loved using it. Then I left it on an airplane. Given B&N’s situation I decide I should just buy the Paperwhite as a replacement, since my husband has a Kindle and the bulk of my ebook buying is from Amazon. But nice as the Paperwhite is, I really miss the Nook. I preferred the magazine formats on the Nook, I liked the collections system better, the fonts, and it had page forward/back buttons. The PW is fine, but I still miss the Nook.

And as everyone has said, it’s very easy to read non-B&N books on it.

11. Nonny
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 03:14:37

My partner and I cannot use e-ink devices (the refresh flash is migraine inducing); a few years ago, we were gifted a Nook Color by some very dear friends upon hearing that both my partner and I were having difficulties reading paper books with our respective cases of rheumatoid arthritis (what are the chances, right? *sigh*).

B&N sells .epub files, as other people have mentioned, and of which the DRM is stupidly easy to crack. You can find plugins for it for Calibre. Since we, at this point, have multiple devices that we read on, plus not trusting that B&N will be around in a handful of years given all the news that has come out over the last few months, remove the DRM and back up our files… we can read them on virtually anything.

I actually do like my Nook a lot. The size and layout are nice, and I like the way that it handles. I’m not particularly looking forward to having to pick out a new device, which I will have to at some point since from what I’ve read, they are planning on stopping support updates for the tablet and color devices.

12. MaryK
    Jul 10, 2013 @ 14:26:26

@Nonny:

(the refresh flash is migraine inducing)

I hadn’t thought of that. I’ve always considered ereading problems in terms of the backlight and eye strain.