Tuesday News: Amazon software update to Fires bring Collections; Valve’s Steam...

If SteamOS can integrate into the television market and bring streaming video beyond video games, the platform free system could really catch on. It would need to strike licensing agreements, of course. I sometimes think that Amazon’s biggest competitor will be someone like Steam, not in the book business, but in the entertainment delivery business. InformationWeek

Finally, but most importantly, Kindle Fire update brings readers collections.

1. Amanda
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 07:16:50

Does anyone remember the weird changling books that people talked about this year? Now after reading about the the sea slugs I worry that we will see BDSM Sea Slug changling books being published in the future.

2. Isobel Carr
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 08:54:24

@Amanda: Sea slugs: taking non con to a whole new dimension …

3. lorene
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 12:12:13

I believe the kindle update is only for the newer HEXs, not last year’s HDs. I can find no updates for the HD version.

4. lorenet
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 12:32:24

Looks like I spoke too soon. There is an update for the 7″ HD Fire, but not one for the 8.9″. Maybe it will arrive later.

5. SAO
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 12:39:29

Well, if some guy writes offensive sea slug changling rapists, fire back with a were-mantis who dines on her baby daddy.

6. Lindsay
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 14:15:17

Steam is such a brilliant service with such an impressive business model, I sure wouldn’t mind seeing Amazon take some notes from them — knowing you can get a $60 game 3 months later at $30, and 6 months later for $5 if you just for daily sales is awesome if you’re not wanting to play the latest game right now. The buzz in the office has already started for when the December Steam Sale will happen, it’s ridiculous — my husband has over 900 games in his Steam library and he’s played maybe 1/4 of them (but bought plenty of them at $1). Talk about TBR piles!

No sea slugs for me, please. I have a pair of giant land snails and their harpoon-style mating is really not for me.

7. Annamal
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 17:36:35

I’ve been thinking for years that Steam/Valve will wind up running the world eventually (although they still won’t have produced half life 3).

They took something that could have been looked at as an impediment to obtaining games and turned it into both a community and a license to print money.

I could see them doing the same kinds of things to Amazon as they currently do to their competitors (things like not seeking exclusivity, like removing barriers to entry and like encouraging the lowest level indie contributors).

8. cleo
    Nov 19, 2013 @ 20:58:12

I had way too much fun reading about sea slug sex (say that ten times fast). They’re hermaphrodites – so each partner gets to traumatically inseminate the other. Way more interesting than that cuttlefish gang bang book.