Tuesday News: 2014 RT Convention hotel rooms nearing sold out status;...

For readers, we should see very little change in the near term and it’s difficult to guess exactly how it will affect us later. Both houses have been reluctant to engage in the high volume discounting that HarperCollins and Hachette employs. One thing that could be improved and consolidated is the production teams. Maybe ever RH digital book will finally have a color cover! We may also see a pooling of resources to improve the technological access to books. GalleyCat

Kindle Fire

1. Samantha
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 08:41:33

Question–do we have to pay the full price if we reserve the room for RT now, or is it just a deposit or authorization charge? Anyone know? I’d like to reserve now, but I’m not sure if there’s room in the budget for the whole price at the moment.

Jul 02, 2013 @ 08:45:58

@Samantha: I think they don’t charge you until the end of your stay but you may want to email RT.

3. Liz H.
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 09:07:07

“even though of all public school children today are Latino.”

Should read ‘even though A QUARTER of all…’.

4. Cindy
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 09:08:13

I’d be happy with using coupons on Kobo for the Penguin books.

5. Samantha
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 09:37:22

Thanks, Jane. It appears Sunday night is sold out as well. The only rooms I can find are for Wednesday through Saturday.

6. Isobel Carr
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 13:14:33

@Samantha: It’s a standard hotel reservation. You pay nothing up until checkout.

7. Samantha
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 15:43:27

@Isobel Carr: Thanks–that’s what I was hoping.

The hotel is completely booked now, by the way.

8. Jane Stewart
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 20:39:29

Jane,
    You are so wonderful! Thank you for letting us know about the hotel being booked. I am shocked that it’s booked soooo early. Dear Author sure does provide a wonderful service for us. I was able to get a reservation but only by paying a higher amount.

Jul 02, 2013 @ 20:40:39

@Jane – I’ve heard that the hotel across the street, The Sheraton, may be used for overflow. RT hopefully will negotiate a rate there for us.

10. Jane Stewart
    Jul 02, 2013 @ 20:44:39

Oh!!! Another good idea!! (the Sheraton) You are sooo in the loop. I love it. Thank you Jane.

11. KT Grant
    Jul 03, 2013 @ 05:27:16

The hotel won’t charge you at all until after you stay. I called and asked when I booked my room. You also have up to 72 hours before you arrive to cancel your reservation.