Tuesday news: 1/3 of sales at Hachette are digital; Kindle Fire...

To make the scene realistic, Mr. Lyne engaged in one of his private asides to Mr. Rourke. He recalled it this way: ”We were shooting the suicide scene, and this woman was supposed to be totally devastated at this point. But Kim looked dewy and lovely. I stopped and called Mickey aside. I told him that the scene wasn’t working, that Kim had to be broken down.” He said that Mr. Rourke returned to the set and helped extract the effect the director wanted. He said Mr. Rourke grabbed Miss Basinger’s arm and held it tightly, refusing to let go. Miss Basinger began to cry and then shouted and struck Mr. Rourke. He then slapped her in the face. She began to weep hysterically. Mr. Lyne then said, ”Now let’s start the scene.”” NYTimes.com

1. Elle
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 04:10:49

Well that bit about Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger reminded me of this (which I read just this morning):

The things people do for art’s sake!!! And how enlightening to read about how sex scenes are actually done, behind the scenes…

Pity that 50 Shades is what it is. An excellent movie (and novel, for that matter) can be made that revolves around themes of passion and love, even the non-conventional kind (re Blue is the Warmest Color).

2. KT Grant
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 05:24:19

Charlie is amazing in Sons of Anarchy. I have to wonder how much he got paid for the role. The movie is going to be so much fun to snark on, like Sharknado.

3. Anne
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 07:15:31

@Elle – that Blue is the Warmest Color link – yikes! Same with the Rourke/Bassinger story. I don’t know if I want any part of entertainment that comes at such a personal cost to the actors.

As for the 50 Shades casting… I just wonder how they can make this movie. I haven’t read the series, but it’s all the rage at my book club. (I’m sure the casting will be a huge topic of discussion this week!) But it’s really explicit, right? And the entire story arc is a sexual one, right? So I keep wondering if this will be an NC-17 film? But I guess those don’t make money…

And one more 50 shades thought. Christian doesn’t take off his clothes? Oh, this was made for Hollywood then, wasn’t it? Sheesh.

4. Avery Flynn
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 10:27:39

I have an iPad and the Flynn kids have a Kindle Fire, which I love especially for the parental controls. However, I as I just learned this weekend, you have to totally block internet access for the kidlets not to be able to use the chat function that is embedded in all the books. Seems my 10 year old was chatting with God knows who using the chat function on the dictionary of all things. So …. there was a long conversation about internet safety at the Flynn house yesterday. Word to the wise. Also, if I am the last person in the world to realize this was possible even with parental controls set, then I hang my head in shame.

5. Darlynne
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 10:39:34

A very long time ago, I read 9-1/2 WEEKS when the book first came out, allegedly a narrative of real events. It was disturbing and powerful and mind-bending, at least to this then-30-something. I don’t know how it compares to FSoG, but the story pushed everyone to the edge.

ETA: Which makes me wonder if there’s been renewed interest now in 9-1/2 because of FSoG.

6. CK
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 11:00:39

I love the Kindle Fire for the kidlets because of the parental controls. Kids grumble, but I dig it :) The subscription service is terrific for younger kids. Wished it work as well for the pre-teen set.

7. Elyssa Patrick
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 13:04:21

I read somewhere once that Kim Basinger suffers from anxiety–I think she may be agoraphobic? Gee, I wonder why. She’s been emotionally abused and physically, too. That article–and how the director excuses his behavior–made me sick.

8. Diana
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 16:57:40

LOVE Charlie Hunnam. He’s great in Sons of Anarchy. Not sure why he agreed to the 50 Shades mess, though? He seems to actually have a pretty good career going so far.

9. lauren
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 17:07:52

@Elle:
    The very first thing I thought of when I saw the casting for this movie was 9 1/2 Weeks. Lousy movie, terrible acting even then. I have never read 50 Shades and don’t plan on it, nor do I plan on seeing the movie!

10. Susan
    Sep 03, 2013 @ 22:05:43

9 1/2 weeks reminds me of Bertolucci with Last Tango in Paris. Or Lars von Trier. There are a lot creepy people in the film industry who think it’s fine for others to suffer for their vision of art.