Tuesday Midday Links Roundup: Microsoft unveils a beautiful new tablet with...

Microsoft

Microsoft Surface

Microsoft held a press event wherein they announced their new tablet called Microsoft Surface. It’s a beautiful, lust worthy device. The only problem? No price or ship date. Nonetheless, here are some specs. The basic design includes an integrated kickstand, two covers with integrated keyboards, and a touchscreen that recognizes and differentiates between finger input and pen input. There are two basic models:

Windows RT

• Thickness: 13.5 mm
  • Screen: 10.6” ClearType Full HD Display 42 W-h
  • microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2×2 MIMO antennae
  • Touch Cover, Type Cover, Pen with Palm Block
  • VaporMg Case & Stand
  • 64 GB, 128 GB

There was no mention of Barnes & Noble although I suspect that there will be a nook app that comes preloaded on the device but I also don’t have any question that Kindle and Kobo and Sony will be close behind. It’s Windows OS after all.

News

More info on the Waterstone’s / Amazon deal. This looks to be a mess. Can our UK readers chime in on this?

Clearly Sargeant’s moves for Macmillan in the price fixing case was with the approval of his superiors.

Sounds like she reversed engineered Robert Lang’s origami creations. He wants credit. She refuses to give it. Perhaps he wants money too but the article doesn’t say. This is fascinating. Is the origami pattern of Robert Lang’s copyrightable and if so, is Sarah Morris’ work transformative enough? These two fair use questions are fascinating.

Deals

Amazon is having June The Big Deal sale which is 400 books between $3.99 and $.99

Kobo coupons:

• Kobodollaroff ($1 off)
  • c4auto40 (40% off)
  • c4auto45 (45% off)
  • RggiCA5091 (50% off)
  • Wicked Intentions by Elizabeth Hoyt * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Frog Princess by E. D. Baker * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Death of a Perfect Wife by M. C. Beaton * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Death of a Hussy by M. C. Beaton * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Death of a Cad by M. C. Beaton * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Sweet Valley Confidential: Ten Years Later by Francine Pascal * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Do Not Disturb by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • First Comes Love by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Then Comes Marriage by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Not Another New Year’s by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Wish You Were Here by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Thrill of it All by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Must Love Mistletoe by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • This Perfect Kiss by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Care and Feeding of Unmarried Men by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • An Offer He Can’t Refuse by Christie Ridgway * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Hope in a Jar by Beth Harbison * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Sweetest Thing by Jill Shalvis * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Babysitter’s Club Collection (Books 1-4) by Ann M Martin * $9.99 * A | BN | K | S

1. Ros
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:18:26

No idea on the Waterstones mess, sorry.

But I want one of those MS tablets like I never wanted an iPad. They look amazing.

2. Lazaraspaste
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:26:17

I used to own all 900 books in the Babysitter’s Club series when I was in elementary and junior high. Then I gave them all away when we moved and I went to High School. More fool me.

3. Sunita
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:37:54

Oooh, Hamish MacBeth. Those are the MC Beaton books; she wrote Regency trads as Marion Chesney. Her MC Beaton mysteries are cozies.

4. Serena
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:43:58

I love the keyboard in the Windows tablet. The ones you can buy for the iPad are terrible. Surely someone is going to make a similar one compatible for the iPad soon, right? I would buy it in an heartbeat.

5. MrsJoseph
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 12:58:08

I can start to understand a lot of artists’ issues. Can no one create without using another person’s work first?? Especially the case of the Rasta pictures – that one is just sad.

6. Ros
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 13:08:05

@Sunita: I just recently discovered M.C. Beaton’s Travelling Matchmaker series set in the Regency. Lovely books: Penelope Goes to Portsmouth, Emily Goes to Exeter and so on.

7. Dabney
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 13:49:59

Love The Book of a Thousand Days. It’s my second favorite after The Goose Girl.

8. Lou
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 13:53:56

I had no idea there were difference prices between Waterstones’ shops. It sounds like a mess with the two different tier shopping options.

I was amused, though, by the Death Star reference to Amazon in the article. Light sabers at the ready!

9. MaryK
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 14:17:21

@Sunita: I like the Hamish MacBeth books but was never able to get into Marion Chesney. I need to try again.

Somebody recognized the origami guy’s crease patterns? Really? My mind is boggled by that. Initially, I thought the painter unfolded some of his figures but apparently she used his computer generated patterns. Are they freely available, I wonder. I’m not sure I have a lot of sympathy for the origami guy.

10. lisabookworm
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 14:41:57

Tablet devices never interested me because (for me personally) they’re a waste of money. I already have a laptop, ipod touch and ereader. A tablet would just be redundant. However, Microsoft’s tablet has me seriously considering going tablet when I need to replace my laptop.

11. Evangeline Holland
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 15:24:28

@Lazaraspaste: I did too. My misfortune is that my family’s housing situation changed drastically and I wasn’t able to take my books with me. I’ve been thinking about sweeping through a few library book sales and used book stores to rebuild it, because e-book versions just aren’t the same!

12. Estara Swanberg
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 16:57:48

Ohhh, Book of a Thousand Days on sale! I can only recommend that ^^

13. Sandra
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 17:48:22

The Julia Knight book Carina Press is advertising in the sidebar was $0.99 at B&N yesterday. It’s a sequel to Ten Ruby Trick, which I loved. And the price was right.

14. Susan
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 18:08:44

@Dabney: The Book of a Thousand Days is a truly wonderful story, but the Kindle version is probably the #1 worst ebook for typos that I’ve *ever* read–and I’ve read more than my share of crappy, messed-up books so that’s saying a lot. I bought/read my copy in 2010 and I just saw a review posted yesterday that indicates they still haven’t fixed (any/all?) the problems yet. Criminal. This goes hand in hand with DA’s other post on tolerance, but even at the 99 cents price it may be hard for people to tolerate that level of shoddiness. The book is worth reading, so consider buying it in paper.

(Sorry for the rant, but you can tell this really bothered me. And I paid way more than 99 cents.)

15. Ann Somerville
    Jun 19, 2012 @ 18:51:01

“No price or ship date.”

Ah, yet another vaporware tablet. Excuse me if I am skeptical that this one will ever appear.

I’m surprised DA didn’t link to Jeff Bezos’s rather extraordinary pimping of YA author of Jessica Park on the front page of Amazon yesterday. Extraordinary because the author is (a) self-pubbed (b) her book is apparently crap and (c) she’s an enabler of the notorious Badly Behaving Author, Jamie McGuire, as can be seen on some of the low rated reviews of McGuire’s Beautiful Disaster. It’s irked a number of the people who do their best to police BBAs on Amazon forums:

16. Ridley
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 18:10:43

@Ann Somerville: That woman is a menace. She harasses reviewers like she wants a medal for it.

17. Ann Somerville
    Jun 20, 2012 @ 19:19:41

@Ridley:

And now Amazon has given its offical stamp of approval to authors who harass reviewers. Great.

18. Kaetrin
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 04:17:53

On a slightly different note to the Waterstones discussion but still in the UK, I received an email yesterday from The Book Depository saying that they were, as of 30 June (I believe) ceasing to sell ebooks. The email said that after that date I wouldn’t be able to re-download any ebooks I’d bought from there. I know that TBD was bought out by Amzn (or at least I think they were trying to but perhaps there was govt. intervention from a competition perspective, I’m unsure). Anyway, if Amzn did buy TBD I wonder whether that has anything to do with the decision to cease selling ebooks? Does anyone have any insights?

19. Ipad case
    Jul 23, 2012 @ 00:28:41

Greetings! I know this is kinda off topic however , I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring
    a blog article or vice-versa? My blog goes over a lot
    of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you might be interested feel free to send me an email.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by the
    way!