Tuesday Midday Links: News and Deals

I’m combining the posts for the news and the deals in one. The deals are at the end.

First up is the news that Dan Lubart has been hired by HarperCollins as SVP of Sales Analytics according to Publishers Marketplace. I find this fascinating because Lubart’s firm, Iobyte, has been analyzing price data and list placement. I can’t help but wonder if it is because of Lubart’s influence that the prices of the Avon 2012 frontlist romance books are being reduced to $4.99 and $6.99. You can read some of Dan’s posts at Digital Book World.

*****

A couple of lawsuit updates. First, the class action suits against publishers alleging that publishers and Apple conspired to set prices at a certain level have been consolidated in New York. I think the Second Circuit has been more friendly to publishers than the Ninth Circuit and thus this is probably a boon to the publishers.

Via Publishers Weekly.

James Grimmelman reports that Authors Guild has filed its motion for class certification and the motion doesn’t address any concerns that Judge Chen raised in his rejection of the class action settlement. I don’t really understand it. The Judge has already pointed out that the class is overbroad and basically signalled that he is not going to approve a class based on its current make up and the AG doesn’t even address it?? Either there is no good argument to be made or the client (Author’s Guild) is being difficult and demanding that the motion be put forward in its current state. Am befuddled by this.

Grimmelman doesn’t have the motion up on his site yet, but I expect it to be there in a few days.

******

Courtney Milan’s Unlocked was # 72 on Amazon’s 2011 Bestselling Kindle books of 2011. The only romance author to have a higher ranking was Nora Roberts. Steve Jobs’ biography was the number one in print and #5 digital.  Milan’s latest book “Unraveled” is recently released. I’m in the process of reading it and hope to have a review of it up next week some time.

In fact, Steve Jobs’ biography may save print this year. According to the NYTimes, retail brick and mortar sales are up in large part due to popular non fiction titles like the Steve Jobs’ biography.

Barnes & Noble, the nation’s largest bookstore chain, said that comparable store sales this Thanksgiving weekend increased 10.9 percent from that period last year. The American Booksellers Association, a trade group for independents, said last week that members saw a sales jump of 16 percent in the week including Thanksgiving, compared with the same period a year ago.

*****

It’s these periodic boom sales of print books that likely leads executives like Maja Thomas to say that digital growth will be capped at 50%.

There is a natural limit to the growth of digital. I think it might be 50%. The book as an object is a perfect object. It has a lot of utility. People love it. There is something about a book. We’re going to see again a doubling of our growth over the next few years, to 40% or more. But once we reach a plateau, we’re going to have two businesses: a digital business and a physical business.

Read more at DigitalBookWorld.com: Hachette Digital’s Maja Thomas on Digital Revenue, Bookish and the Leaked Manifesto | Digital Book World http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2011/hachette-digitals-maja-thomas-on-digital-revenue-bookish-and-the-leaked-manifesto/#ixzz1gQweTif5

In some markets, the physical book will likely dominate such as picture books and children’s books but for long form fiction? I think the market will be more like 70-90%. The problem with publishers clinging to the idea that digital will only be 50%, it prevents strategic thinking and planning for when the market exceeds that marker.

******

Not only does Macmillan and Hachette not sell digital to the library market. Not only does Penguin preemptively turn off lending for its digital books without prior notice and then turn it back on only to say that new releases either won’t be digitally lent or will be windowed. Not only does HarperCollins demand repurchase after 26 lends. But now comes word that Overdrive has restricted catalogs for some libraries and not for others.

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from Ryan Claringbole, the Digital Branch Librarian at the Chesapeake Public Library in Virginia. He asked if I’d ever heard about OverDrive restricting certain libraries’ access to specific publishers’ materials, or, in other words, different libraries seeing different catalogs of eBooks available in the OverDrive Marketplace.

Overdrive blames this on the publisher.

Connection to Library Service Area: As Steve Potash communicated in writing to every one of our library partners earlier this year, select publishers set restrictions on their catalogs where the library allows access to the library’s digital collection by card holders that have no connection to the library’s service area. We are constantly working with library IT teams to test and validate patrons’ card status, before they can download copyrighted materials. In very few cases, where an institution does not restrict download access to only patrons with connections to their service area (such as residents, students, property or business owners) there may be limits on access to select publishers’ catalogs.

This is likely why the NY Public Libraries stopped allowing non resident New Yorkers to pay $100 fee for access to its catalogs, although it never publicly stated this.

Infodocket raises some great questions about this practice and Overdrive’s response.

*****

Finally, the deals. The malls are thick on the ground with people.  If you don’t have to go out, don’t. It’s a jungle out there.  Here are some great ebook deals.  BN just launched gifting of ebooks.  Amazon has the same feature.  Both allow you to set a time and date that you want a gift sent.

I think the Suzanne Enoch books are republished by the author. (The  covers are kind of amateurish)

1. Mireya
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 12:23:37

I think that the situation with publishers and digital lending is only going to lead to more and more people being inclined to learn how to remove DRM and for those that “share” to continue the practice of making ebooks available for “free” in certain sites. I also see the number of those “sharing” increasing, due to this attitude. The publishers are not contributing to stop/control anything, they are actually escalating the problem. Just my .2 cents.

2. Lil
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 12:32:36

I’m not at all sure I agree with you when you put ebooks at 70-90% of the market for long fiction. I am, of course, basing my opinion entirely on my own preferences, but given a choice, I’ll take a real book any time. I simply do not enjoy the physical experience of reading on an ereader. I don’t like the way it feels in my hands, I don’t like the way the words look on the page, and I don’t like the difficulty of flipping back and forth. I only acquire ebooks if they are free, much less expensive than the real ones, or much easier to obtain—as in out-of-print books.

But I may be completely atypical. I have a friend who absolutely loves her ereader, simply because she can enlarge the print.

3. LG
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 12:35:00

Also, to add to the list of deals, don’t forget that All Romance is doing a free book a day deal, today through Dec. 24. I haven’t read most of the authors on the list before, but I’m looking forward to the Josh Lanyon book that will be coming up (I’m assuming, based on the banner on ARe’s site).

4. Annalise
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:00:20

@Lil: We may both be atypical, but you’re certainly not alone. I will always choose paper over digital, for reasons having nothing to do with passing the book to a friend or reselling it. Aside from the simple physical preference for holding and reading and shelving (and sometimes throwing) a paper book, there is a part of my brain that insists digital words are temporary, disposable, forgettable, and therefore of little value (much like the vast majority of the internet, which at least has the advantage of being free). It doesn’t matter if the content is exactly the same as that in a physical book; the format dictates ‘skim and forget.’

5. Darlynne
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:10:12

@Lil: I used to feel the same way, that print books would have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. Last year, my husband bought me a refurbished Nook and I’ve never looked back. Now I notice how much strain is put on my hands when I read library books, which is the fault of arthritis, not the books, but one of the biggest differences for me between digital and print. Since I travel frequently, not having to reserve room in my suitcase means I can pack the embarrassment of riches that is my Nook in my purse.

Which is why I hope digital books kick publishing’s collective ass all over the market. Maybe–maybe–then they’ll wake up. And, Jane, perhaps the merits of the class action lawsuit will be so overwhelming that even a previously publishing-friendly Second Circuit judge won’t be able to casually dismiss the claims. Oh, look, the Easter bunny just hopped by. What a world, what a world.

6. helen
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:21:26

Enoch’s books are priced just right for me to pick up her back list and I am not picky about the covers! I wish more publishers and authors would price their back lists similarly. I am not going to pay the same for a back list as I do for a current book. I am just not!

7. CK
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:28:28

I agree that the 50% market cap is short-sighted. There will always be some consumers that will prefer paper. Just like there are some of us that prefer 20 year old Scotch to beer (and we pay extra for that preference). I don’t see paper vs digital being any different. My 10yo couldn’t decide between the Nook (what I have) and the Kindle (what g-parents have – which they love, btw), so he put both in his X-mas list, ‘Just in case’. LOL. Now my 4yo is in love with my Nook. Digital is what they will grow up with. It’s what will be their norm.

8. Renda
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 13:59:25

I would be very sad to have to give up my Overdrive subscription to Free Library.
    I live in an urban county that only gives us access to audio Overdrive, and that is very limited.
    The acquisition budget was cut for this fiscal year (July to June) from $2 plus million to $140,000. They are putting their money into computers for people to use. I know there is a lot of poverty in this county and I know the library is the only source of free Internet for a lot of folks, but at some point money needs to be put into books or they need to state they are just going into the Internet provision business, get rid of the shelves and put in even more tables for computers. As it is, we have large areas of shelves not used.

9. Gin
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:17:30

I’m usually a lurker here, but I just have to say — Martha Wells is brilliant, and I strongly recommend her books to anyone who enjoys fantasy with a little bit of romance in it. Her worldbuilding is extraordinary.

10. TaraL
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:17:30

“There is a natural limit to the growth of digital. I think it might be 50%. The book as an object is a perfect object. It has a lot of utility. People love it. There is something about a book.”

How stupid is it to say something like this and then try to charge the same amount for an ebook as for a paper book?

11. Brian
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:29:47

@Lil:
    You’re not alone, there are lots of folks that prefer paper to digital (although just because it’s not in paper doesn’t make it not real IMO), although I agree with Jane that digital will top out at more than 50% of the market eventually.

I’m probably your exact opposite. After going all digital in 2007 I find it hard to get comfortable reading a paper book anymore (which is tough since I still have over a thousand on shelves). To some extent I think it’s what you get used to and also what format benefits fit your situation best. For me the portability and ability so store as many as I want without needing to build an addition on my tiny house are what first prompted me to go digital and I haven’t regretted it so far. For others they feel more secure in the long term viability of their paper books and just prefer having physical pages to turn, both have their pros and cons. One place I still prefer paper are my history/reference type books. eBooks don’t work as well for those IMO and will need some true innovation before they ever would.

I have a few friends who are likely to never go digital and a couple who don’t even have an interest in trying ebooks out (they also feel ebooks aren’t real books). Personally I think both will be around side-by-side for many years, but we may see paper having a much smaller mass market roll and more of a premium roll (hardcovers, trades).

IMO there is no reason a publisher can’t use POD to fill print orders (although it is more costly) if they don’t think there’s a market for an actual print run so we can all be, relatively, happy.

12. DS
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:31:08

@Gin: Agreed. Love Martha Wells. I bought both the ebook and the audible download. Both are delightful. I just pre-ordered the second in the series. Wheel of the infinite is available for $2.99. I may have mentioned that before. I’ve been going around pushing this stand alone novel because I like it so much. Fantasy with a bit of romance– I really like the older woman, younger swordsman romance.

13. Brian
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:31:50

@LG:
    They have a few upcoming that look interesting…

Todays free book is Delicate Freakn’ Flower by Eve Langlais (reg. $3.99)

14. Brian
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:43:05

I think the Suzanne Enoch books are republished by the author. (The covers are kind of amateurish)

The publisher is listed as NYLA which is Nancy Yost Literary Agency

They’ve also put out some backlist stuff for Loretta Chase and others.

15. Lisa J
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 14:58:17

@Brian: Yes, I agree with everything you said. I haven’t bought a paper book for me in several years. I buy them for my young family members because they need to learn the joy of reading and there’s nothing like a large color picture book, but that’s it. I gave my Mom an e-reader for her birthday and after a few potholes in the road, she figured out how to use it and she just told me she prefers it to a paper book. Her hands ache less holding the reader and she also loves the ability to make the font larger.

My sister has a reader, but she prefers paper. She said she doesn’t enjoy an e-book as much as a paper copy. (But, she also has trouble loading books to her reader and waits for me to do it for her, so the frustration of waiting for a book may play into it.)

16. Darlynne
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 15:15:39

@DS: Thanks for the recommendation, just put it on my Nook, along with Cloud Roads, Catriona and Sin Undone. Thanks for the links, Jane.

17. Mireya
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 15:48:33

I just bought two more ebooks from Amazo (from the above list) … at a discounted price… and the Kindle app works so nicely in my Lenovo… there goes the budget…

18. Statch
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:22:27

I’m a convert to ebooks, initially because of eye and space (bookshelf) problems but now because I love the convenience. I used to be convinced, however, that the ebook market was mainly for fiction books, and I also really wasn’t interested in enhanced books, but I just bought a 10″ tablet, and I think it’s changed my mind. Once the prices and weight come down even further on these, I think we may see big growth in all the various ebook markets, particularly if they come up with better ways to navigate within ebooks.

I’m even enjoying e-cookbooks on this bigger color screen, and the pages turn fast enough that I can almost flip through the book the way I would with a print book. It’s still not quite there, but I think I can see it coming.

I’d be curious whether parents of small children see that market going more and more to ebooks. I’d think that with low-cost ereaders, the convenience of having all the books in one place would be huge, especially for parents who travel with children.

19. Lada
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:24:08

I think Maja Thomas (& others like her) are stuck focusing on their own generation and preferences. I just gave my almost 3 yr old niece a Leappad and she won’t put it down. She is happily learning her alphabet and numbers on the touch screen and at bedtime, she only wants to have books read from that or my iPad despite a full bookshelf. She will read paper books but I’m sure her preference will be e- because it’s the world in which she’s growing up.

And for the life of me, I can’t understand why publishers are so threatened by library ebook lending. Why is it so different from libraries lending paper versions of the same book? My friends that use and don’t use libraries haven’t changed their behavior just because they now have an ereader.

Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:24:48

@Statch: My kid loves the paper books. She watches movies, listens to music and looks at the occasional multimedia book on the iPad, but ownership of physical things is very important to her. We have reams of paper books in the house because of her.

Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:30:20

@Lada: re publishers and digital lending. I’ve been hearing mixed chatter. On the one hand I hear that pubs are concerned that digital lending doesn’t lead to increased book sales like paper books. Another is that digital lending enforces the idea that digital content should be free. Still another is that digital library lends are a significant source of piracy. I would be stunned if the latter is truly what pub execs think.

22. Lada
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:46:45

@Jane: I have to agree with you, Jane. It has always seemed counterintuitive that digital lending would lead to greater piracy and I’d be shocked if execs really felt that way.

Also, publishers have been lagging in terms of tracking ebook sales and related trends. Since the Kindle market is the largest and most established ereader market and libraries have only just begun to lend Kindle books (with very limited options), it seems very early to be drawing those conclusions.

23. TFQ
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 16:57:38

I’m one of those people who thought I would never give up my beloved paper books, but have pretty much gone all e-book this year. It’s been fabulous for me… except when I was working in East Africa and the power in my house was out for hours at a time. Are there solar-powered e-book reader batteries? Until such are easily available, there will continue to be a market for paper in places where the power grid is still unreliable. For the US, though — I think the idea of the e-book market tapping out at 50% is wishful thinking.

24. Kathleen O'Reilly
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 17:32:28

I think a big reason that digital will overrun print is due to diminishing shelf space to books. As more readers own e-readers and buy digital, there will be less readers purchasing paper books. As less paper books are bought, shelf space will decrease even more. I think some of the impulse purchase (best sellers, Harlequin, thrillers) will remain on the shelf, but I’m betting that most non-impulse paper book purchases will have to be shipped from online or special order, thus frustrating book buyers who will eventually buy a digital reader.

25. Kelly S. Bishop
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 20:33:39

Dara Joy self pubbed two more of her old stories on 12/6 on Amazon. High Energy and Tonight or Never. Both for $3.85 each. Her sf stories never grabbed me that much but I adore High Energy. Tyber is the sexiest physicist ever.

26. Helen
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 21:33:00

@TFQ:
    The nook I purchased a couple of years ago has replaceable batteries. I have two extras that I charge and take with me. I’ve gone a way for a couple of months and had plenty to read!

27. Brian
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 21:55:16

@TFQ: Haven’t seen a solar reader yet (like a solar calculator maybe), but you can get a solar battery charger that you can plug a USB cable into and charge your reader, cell phone, etc.

28. LisaCharlotte
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 22:16:40

I’ve always been a rereader and that is much harder with ebooks. Sometimes I only want to read certain sections or passages and even with bookmarks the experience is not the same. I will always probably have my keepers in paper.

29. Zara
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 22:26:26

OMG!!! How did I miss the release date of Unraveled?

30. hapax
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 22:38:32

Apparently the Martha Wells title is only free for the Kindle. Boo!

31. Jean
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 23:04:31

@hapax: It’s also available free for the Nook.

32. Sao
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 23:18:09

The sharing issue is why I think paper books will last a long time. I can give up sharing with friends and used book sales, but I can’t see my kids sharing an ereader or my daughter being willing to use her younger brother’s while he is reading on hers. (if we moved to E)

Who wants to buy 4 e-copies of,say, Harry Potter when one print copy is enough?

If I’m reading a book on my husband’s reader, can I take it on a business trip, leaving him with my reader and e-library?

I have bought some ebooks, but only those which aren’t to the taste of the ret of my family

33. LG
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 23:25:30

@Jean: Where are you seeing that it’s for free on the Nook? As far as I can tell, it’s $8.19. That’s the price I see whether I check it through my Nook or on the B&N website.

34. Sarah J
    Dec 13, 2011 @ 23:45:39

I’m with Lil and the others. I do not like e-readers at all.

For some reason paper copies feel more fun and more cozy to me. I also just find having the physical book more convenient, partially because of the re-reading thing.

I hope the market for paper copies doesn’t shrink too much! I would be so sad if paper romances stopped becoming available. I would read way less often if I was stuck with only digital copies.

35. ShellBell
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 00:09:31

Really pleased to be able to purchase Suzanne Enoch’s ‘The Black Duke’s Prize’ and ‘Angel’s Devil’. Fortunately I was able to purchase them through AllRomanceEbooks as the Kobo links on any deals never seem to work for me and I won’t use Amazon. Have been waiting for ages for these two books to be released as eBooks so I’m happy no matter what the covers look like.

36. Janet W
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 07:38:34

You shared: “Courtney Milan’s Unlocked was # 72 on Amazon’s 2011 Bestselling Kindle books of 2011. The only romance author to have a higher ranking was Nora Roberts.”

Of course that’s great news for Milan — count me in as someone who bought it too. But isn’t it somewhat apples and oranges to make the Nora Roberts analogy? Unlocked was a .99 novella (notice I don’t add the tagline self-pubbed because it’s not relevant: it was a very professional presentation) and I don’t know what Roberts’ books sold for but I’m guessing not .99. You would know better than me how to compare author sales but I’m interested how price points will impact the sales and ranking of Milan’s new book Unraveled.

37. Junne
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 08:44:17

@Janet W: Ms Milan is a very gifted author, and I think that even if her novella was more expensive she would have sold well. Plus she seems to be a DA’s regular so I understand Jane thought her good sales were worth to mention in this article.

38. Brian
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 09:05:57

@Sao:

Who wants to buy 4 e-copies of,say, Harry Potter when one print copy is enough?

Of course if you have your family readers on one account you don’t have to worry about swapping readers or buying multiple copies as the books can be put on multiple devices in pretty much every circumstance (in most cases at least 5 or 6 devices at a time minimum).

@Sarah J:

Let’s hope that both formats will be readily available for the forseeable future. Also as pubs move more towards POD for some titles lets hope the technology becomes less expensive (although even if it does I don’t necessarily trust pubs to pass that on to consumers).

39. Courtney Milan
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 09:06:49

@Janet W: I don’t really think I’m in a Nora-Roberts-like category, either, for what it’s worth. ;)

40. LG
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 09:17:48

@Brian: “This is the first I’ve read of folks thinking paper more re-read friendly. I re-read a lot of books, but I read the entire book. Do a lot of re-readers only re-read certain parts? (I can see where paper might work better here) ”

I have many, many books I own that I haven’t reread in their entirety in years, but I keep them because I enjoy rereading my favorite parts – actually, I think I tend to reread parts more than I reread whole books, because there are too many new books to read and not enough time. With some books, I don’t even need to mark my favorite parts, because I know approximately how far into the book those parts are, and I can just flip there automatically. I remember realizing that my favorite parts in J.D. Robb’s In Death books tended to fall in the same general page number range.

Although I have adopted e-books way more readily than I expected to and seem to finish more e-books than paper books now (I certainly buy more e-books than paper books – no need to think about how much shelf space I have left), the one area where e-books are really lacking for me is rereading my favorite parts. I tend to put lots of bookmarks in my e-books, not necessarily for favorite parts but for pages I know I’ll want to look at again when it comes time to write up a review, so I can’t trust my bookmarks to tell me where the bits that I’d like to reread are. I eventually figured out that I could sort of flip through e-books with the Nook’s “go to page” feature and find my favorite parts that way, but it’s more annoying than flipping through a physical book.

41. Darlynne
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 09:40:29

@LG: I get the same result, it’s not free at B&N.

42. Brian
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:21:52

@LG:
    Thanks for the info, I guess I’ve just never spoken to anyone who does this before. As I said, when I re-read, it’s always been the entire book.

Makes sense to me. It’s the same reason they don’t really work for me in terms of the reference/history stuff I own. As I tend to look through certain parts of those types of books as opposed to reading them in a linear fashion.

43. Brian
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:25:34

RE: The Cloud Roads by Martha Wells, the email I have from the publisher only mentions it as being free @ Amazon and no other bookseller, and a quick check of every other seller I can think of shows this to be true.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:26:24

@Darlynne I can’t even find any book by Martha Wells at B&N.

Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:30:16

@Janet W I think that a self published book, even priced at $.99 or particularly priced at $.99, sold better than all other romances than three of Nora Roberts’ books in Kindle format is a very important data point. I didn’t see books by Nalini Singh or Jr Ward ranked higher in Kindle. This is a meaningful data point and I’m collecting it.

I’ve commented before about how previous .99 c self published authors have not gone on to have great success at higher data points as well.

46. Brian
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 10:31:27

@Jane: B&N’s search engine appears to be down right now as searching for any author brings up no results.

47. Lada
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 11:37:55

@Brian: I am a rereader and I read ebooks almost exclusively. I understand how bookmarks may not be the best way to mark favorite passages but I use the notetaking & highlighting options available on the nook. This can take some patience but it’s worth being able to jump right to where I want to go.

I’m not familiar with Kindle Fire or Color nook/tablet but if they are anything like their apps (or almost any reading app) on my Android phone or iPad, color coordinating notes &/or highlighting favorite passages for rereading is a breeze.

48. De
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 13:56:01

@TFQ:
    There are things like – http://www.amazon.com/Powertraveller-Extreme-9000mAh-Charger-Playbook/dp/B004XNLLMG/arstech-20

I link to that just because that’s the one I saw last week on Ars Technica’s holiday gift guide with this this info, “The solar panels are both light and rugged, and you can strap them to your bag/tent/post-apocalyptic dune buggy without fear; they’ll charge the Powermonkey’s 9000 mAh battery in about 15 hours (you can also charge the battery via AC power). There’s a USB output for charging your phone, and a 5V DC output for charging iPads or other tablets. A full Powermonkey should be able to recharge an iPad twice or your phone six times before needing to harvest more rays.”

49. Nicole
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 20:14:07

I’ve had an ebook reader for awhile now and I much prefer to read fiction on it. It’s just easier to tote around one item than a bunch of books.

Also, as I have a nook color, it’s a lifesaver with a small child at places like a restaurant or the doctor’s office. We can read Sandra Boynton board books on it or play Angry Birds or with some of the flashcard apps. I use the library alot, but mostly for nonfiction (such as craft books), trade paperbacks that I won’t pay full price in ebook form. But even the ebook versions of the craft books are getting remarkable good. I’ve checked out a few from my library’s ebook site and enjoyed them.
    I also like reading magazines on the nook and when I get an iPad, I’m sure I’ll like it even more. I love that some companies (notably Time, Inc) allow free digital editions of their magazines if you subscribe to the print.

50. TFQ
    Dec 14, 2011 @ 20:31:39

@De: Thanks! Also thanks to Brian and Helen for suggestions for preventing e-reader withdrawal (it wasn’t pretty.) I’ll definitely be better prepared for the next assignment.

51. Stumbling Over Chaos :: The linkity post in which I realize I missed my sixth blogiversary
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 02:02:21

[...] Publishing and book news from Dear Author and Smart Bitches. [...]

52. Stumbling Over Chaos :: The linkity post in which I realize I missed my sixth blogiversary
    Dec 16, 2011 @ 02:02:21

[...] Publishing and book news from Dear Author and Smart Bitches. [...]

53. B
    Dec 17, 2011 @ 04:02:50

[...] E-Book-Deals von Romantic Times | Dear Author [...]

54. Monday Links & Deals: BN Subsidizes Nook; OLPC Tablet Coming to Market | Dear Author
    Jan 09, 2012 @ 15:10:24

[...] resistance must be on what executives like Hachette executive, Maja Thomas, pins their 50% market limit for [...]