Tuesday Midday Links: Kobo Delves into Self Publishing, Great Stop Motion...

News

From Reader Lana:

Your midday link about Amazon being evil really got me thinking. See, I live in Canada, you know that place just North of the USA. Really close by in fact. Now, it seems a few authors that I have been reading for years are deciding to only sell their books with Amazon from their backlist. I have asked some of these authors about perhaps listing with KOBO, as that is what is mainly supported up here in Canada. Most authors are more than willing to try this, but within the past few weeks, one author has said, no she wants Amazon Kindle exclusives only. In fact, she just released a new book there as well. This has made me decide that I will no longer be supporting this author at all. Am I alone in this? Are there authors that others have stopped supporting because they are sticking to exclusivity?

Have other readers stopped supporting an author? After all, if she goes exclusive, is she really supporting you the reader?

the old man and the sea from Marcel Schindler on Vimeo.

Like the new look to the links Roundup?  I’m using this fantastic and free plugin called “Argo Links.”

Deals

Loretta Chase backlist titles on sale

• Isabella by Loretta Chase * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • English Witch by Loretta Chase * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Last Hellion by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Silk is for Seduction by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Last Night’s Scandal by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Not Quite a Lady by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Don’t Tempt Me by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Your Scandalous Ways by Loretta Chase * $4.99 * A | BN | K | S

1. TFQ
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 14:05:45

If an author was only available via Amazon and I really really wanted to read her work on my non-Kindle e-reader, I could buy it via Kindle for PC and convert it using Calibre. But there’s no living author that I can think of for whom I would go to that effort. I might have done it for Georgette Heyer; fortunately, Sourcebooks doesn’t make me do that…

2. Moriah Jovan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 14:22:13

Kobo has been notoriously difficult to get into and/or change metadata of the titles if one is not willing to go through Smashwords premium distribution, so I, for one, am glad to see Kobo going this direction.

3. MrsJoseph
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 14:53:52

I am one of those people who stops supporting authors that go Kindle exclusive. I don’t own a kindle and I refuse to reward their exclusive contracts with sales. I feel that books should be available in multiple stores.

4. Helen
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 14:54:33

I do not purchase any authors who are exclusive to Amazon. I am not going to buy a kindle and I don’t support Amazon so it is a no brainer for me. I am not going to go to the trouble to try and convert titles into a readable format, those authors just loose out on any money or word of mouth they may have gained from me.

5. Lisa J
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 15:01:00

Not offering books in anything but Kindle format would definitely stop me from buying from an author. There have been several authors I have stopped looking for books from because they don’t offer an ePub (or even PDF) version.

6. Isobel Carr
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 15:07:42

Are you talking about the limited time Kindle/Amazon exclusive deals (90 days), or are these authors K/A exclusive forever? I ask because B&N has a Nook First program and I don’t see any ranting about that.

7. Ridley
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 15:11:54

People who don’t strip off the DRM on their books boggle me.

8. Lisa J
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 15:50:30

@Ridley: I’m hopeless at stripping files. I bought a program for ePub and PDF files (which is very simple and easy to use), but I don’t want to pay for a program to strip other formats and using the free files seems to be beyond me. It’s probably so simple my 6 month old nephew could figure it out, but I’m stumped.

9. Renda
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:24:21

@Lisa J:

Same here, except I don’t have a six-month-old nephew. If it gives me a headache, causes more than three steps, it loses all enjoyment.

10. Lana
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:27:17

I am very glad to see that I am not just being a horrible person by no longer buying this author. She is planning on staying K/A forever from my understanding, which as you can tell really irks me. If it was 90 days, I could live with it, but I have a sneaky suspicion that she is not all that understanding of technology and since she has a Kindle believes that is the only thing she needs to support.

11. Joy B
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:49:13

Although I have iStuff, I don’t buy ebooks from Amazon. I buy epub only and my Sony Reader is for books. eInk forever!

Given that I have a huge TBR in e and print, delays to other platforms don’t annoy me …much.

12. Deecee
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:49:28

@ Ripley…ditto. I thought it would be easy…my 70 year old aunt can do it but it completely stumps me. I downloaded Calibre and python and all that and got hopelessly lost. Then I just gave up on ebooks.

13. Deecee
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:50:06

meant Ridley but I was thinking Sigourney Weaver and Alien…damn.

14. Susan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 16:58:14

If an author chose to publish exclusively in a format that was difficult for me to access, I probably wouldn’t buy the books since I wouldn’t want to go to the extra trouble. But, I also don’t think I’d publicly tar and feather him/her for making a business decision that they felt was in their best interest at that time. Who knows, they might change their mind later and then I’d go back to buying their books. In the meantime, I wouldn’t take it as a personal affront.

As others have noted, Amazon actually makes it easy to access their books without making people shell out money for a Kindle. Unlike other companies. But if “I hate Amazon” is your soapbox spiel, then it’s your option not to go that route.

15. Isobel Carr
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 17:25:01

@Lana: That’s a terrible move IMO. I understand the benefit some see in debuting a book on Kindle or Nook exclusively for a short period, but never offering it all the other readers is just bad business IMO.

16. Darlynne
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 17:54:52

One of my favorite crime fiction writers, John Brady, whose books I already own in paper, appears to only have his digital books on Amazon. I hate reading books on Kindle for PC, and yet supporting this author is more important to me, no matter how small my contribution is in the bigger scheme of total sales. As his backlist is released (astonishingly at $2.07 each, although I paid $9.99 for the newest title), I immediately scoop them up. It never occurred to me to be anything other than mildly frustrated that I can only get the ebooks from Amazon. I was more concerned, since he doesn’t have the world wide audience I’d wish for him, about doing my part to keep him afloat.

Now that TFQ in the first comment has said the magic words–Kindle, convert, Calibre–maybe I can read Brady’s digital books on my Nook. Or not. Either way, I’m with him for the long haul no matter the format. I might not say the same for every author I read, but this one is a no-brainer for me.

17. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 18:37:46

Kobo has been very hard to work with unless you go with a distributor like Smashwords, and even they have trouble getting the books updated and online there. Also, good luck with Sony and Apple, though Apple is at least trying. So far, Nook and Kindle are the easiest for authors, so it’s not surprising that so many authors choose to work with them exclusively. I doubt any author sits around trying to figure out ways to eliminate sales and alienate readers, but the valley between writing a book and publishing a book is fraught with terrors akin to a Fire Swamp. Not every author is going to excel at both. Kind of like how many marriages possess one partner who can balance the checkbook and another who may not be allowed near it. The skill set is not natural to some.

18. Christine M.
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 18:43:22

My main problem with Amazon is that they don’t have a Canadian Kindle store. We have to do transactions on the US Kindle/Amazon store and it’s a) a pain in the arse b) restricted in terms of the books and magazines we can buy (georestrictions suck) c) expensive because of the $2 transfer surcharge and d) a way of making sure we can never get our hands on any freebies, ever. So I decided Kindle and I are over at least until they have a Canadian Store.

19. Courtney Milan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:02:05

I really like Kobo, and am really excited about the possibility of getting on Kobo directly. REALLY excited. The people who have me up there now…apparently cannot include proper paragraph breaks in the book description.

I cannot imagine not trying to get my book everywhere under the sun that it can go.

20. Wahoo Suze
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:25:08

I’m a very lazy and forgetful shopper. If the book isn’t on ARe (which very kindly lets me know that I’m attempting to buy a book I already own), then I probably won’t buy it. I will go looking at BoB and Kobo, but usually don’t buy from them (BoB because I’ve had some issues with georestrictions and Kobo because they charge me for each individual book as a separate purchase, which drives me crazy for some reason).

Also stupid about stripping DRM. I was trying to tidy up my hard drive and accidentally deleted a bunch of files that Calibre apparently needs to recognize my books. I think I recovered most of it (although some of my books are coming up weird in Calibre) but I’m scared to do anything else except load new books.

21. Merrian
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:39:33

I live in Australia, there is no Australian Amazon store and so books on Kindle are more expensive here because of specific charges by Amazon for outside the USA purchases. Not forgetting the geo restrictions issue. For a long while after it was sold in the USA, the kindle wasn’t available here so many of us bought and used other models of e-readers building up our experience and libraries in epub/pdf. Why would I want to be tethered to my PC to read (using the app)? The point of e-reading is anytime, anywhere.

I have emailed two self pub authors in the past 12 months about book availability and the answer back was ‘they hadn’t thought about or looked into any options other than Amazon’. So they can’t even say that it is too hard, etc. because they haven’t tried. Don’t get me started on mainstream agency published ebooks not being available at all to international readers except via Amazon or not at all – I could rant for hours. One author I emailed about her series (why can I buy book 1 but not the rest?) didn’t know what geo restrictions were or that they were part of her contracts; either that or she thought I was stupid and was snowing me.

I think I saw Jane say on twitter that google analytics show that 35% of DA readers are from outside the USA. So that is 35% of lost opportunities for potential sales under the Amazon only/geo restricted sales model.

Supplying books only to Amazon (or for Nook, B&N doesn’t sell outside USA) is a USA-centric thinking/marketing model and says to me that authors are not thinking of international readers as important to them or thinking about us at all.

Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:41:49

@Merrian: I did say that on Twitter the other day, Merrian. Only 65% of the readership here is from the US. A large portion of readers who love romance are spread across the world. I think that there is a huge growth potential there and definitely an untapped market for self published authors who are in complete control of their geographic rights!

23. Moriah Jovan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 20:54:59

@Courtney Milan:

You and me both, sister.

24. Rebecca
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 21:08:02

I read only print, so don’t have the compatibility issues, but I still think I would be very unlikely to buy a print book that’s only sold at Amazon (which may happen in the future since they publish books now). I would wait for a used copy or something.

25. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 21:53:11

@Ridley: Allow me to boggle you :).

Frankly, it just boils down to one thing–too damn lazy.

26. Shiloh Walker
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 22:01:19

Kobo going into self publishing is interesting and all, but I’ll be honest, I’m leery about dealing with them directly, and here’s why…

They are a nightmare to deal with as an author, or have been on my end. There were several instances where there were problems…on their end, that they could/needed to fix and it took days, upon days, emails, upon emails just to get a response and sometimes there were no responses.

That was one issue.

There’s another issue that I’ve been dealing with for over a month now.

These are minor things. When it came to self-publishing with them? Eek. I don’t want to deal with those nightmares directly. I’d prefer to just keep going through Smashwords.

27. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 22:03:41

@Merrian: I find Amazon’s choice to roll out sites in Germany, France, Italy, etc. before sites before places like Canada and Australia terribly odd. Given that the vast majority of their catalog is in English, one would think the largest markets for that product would be in predominantly English-speaking countries. That’s not to say people in Germany, France, Italy, etc. don’t read or buy books written in English, but surely they do so at much lower rates than folks in Canada or Australia. Certainly, my sales numbers in those stores are pathetic compared to Amazon US/UK.

Like @Moriah Jovan and @Courtney Milan, I can’t imagine not trying to get my books in every possible retail outlet I can reach. I truly don’t understand the “Amazon is enough” or even “Amazon and B&N are enough” mentality. It isn’t THAT much more effort to get to the other outlets. Isn’t it worth it to reach as many readers as possible?

28. Holly
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 22:17:15

I would stop supporting if they switched strictly to Kindle, but I haven’t run into that yet. Didn’t buy a Kindle because I compared e-book availabilities in Canada between Kindle and Kobo and Kindle just didn’t have the rights or was delayed in making the book available to Canadians. One of my beefs with Kobo is the ebook deals (like the Loretta Chase ones above) don’t always carry over to other countries. Is it Kobo or the publishers decision? I can’t find Isabella or the English Witch when I search on Kobo and there’s nothing to indicate if it will be available on the Canadian site. Lord of Scoundrels is $4.99 CDN and the rest are regular price (between $6.99-$8.99).

29. Courtney Milan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 22:52:55

@Holly: The Loretta Chase books that you list–those are actually (now) self-published, because she got her rights back. So that means that she hasn’t gotten them on Kobo, either because she doesn’t want to or can’t. (Kobo is freaking hard to work with, so it might well be the latter.)

But it’s not her publisher.

30. Holly
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 23:17:06

@Courtney Milan: Thank you for the clarification, I thought I just couldn’t find them due to geographic restrictions. Hopefully Kobo improves the process so it’s easier to work with them. I actually wound up buying Unlocked from AllRomance because I was too impatient for Kobo to make it available; I can’t remember if I did the same for Unraveled or if I waited.

31. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 23:20:51

@Courtney Milan: Lord of Scoundrels is still an Avon title, as are several others on that list (Silk is for Seduction is a 2011 Avon release). The only one in that list that I’m positive is reverted backlist is Captives of the Night, though I’m sure several others are.

32. Courtney Milan
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 23:33:32

@Jackie Barbosa: I should have been more specific–the ones Holly talked about (Isabella and The English Witch) are reverted. And I only know that because I bought them. :)

33. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 23:36:55

@Courtney Milan: Ahhh, got it! It all makes sense to me now :).

As far as the difficulty in getting to Kobo goes, I’ve never had too much problem going through Smashwords. They seem to get me up faster than either Apple or Sony. (And Apple has no human support for iTunesConnect, so when my application for an account fell into a black hole, there was literally no one who could help me. /sigh)

34. MaryK
    Apr 03, 2012 @ 23:53:22

@Deecee: You don’t have to do the Python thing anymore. It’s just a self-contained zip file plugin, now.

35. SAO
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 00:13:42

I don’t get georestrictions, either. Look at the size of the non-US, non-UK market:

English is spoken in 112 countries by over half a billion people. To give just a small sample of the countries where it is an official language, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, on down to Zambia and Zimbabwe.

Note: this list, picked alphabetically, is missing just two continents: Antarctica (where the US research station is the continent’s biggest) and Europe, where we know there are not only tens of millions of native speakers, but even more fluent speakers of English as a second language.

Sure, when selling a book in involved shipping or negotiating a print run, ignoring the non-US, non-UK market made sense. But it costs no more to sell an e-book to Botswana than it does to sell it to Boston. Why not sell them in Botswana and Belize?

36. SAO
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 00:16:59

I don’t “support authors.” I buy books. If it’s not in the bookstore I go to, I won’t see it and I won’t buy it.

37. Meri
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 02:35:33

Georestrictions are the height of stupidity; it’s authors/publishers keeping their books away from readers who want to buy them electronically rather than in print. What’s the point? Because they might sell foreign rights in the future? I want the English-language book, not the possible translation (which will never materialize, because there’s no real market here).

Amazon-only self-pubbing is almost as annoying. Why would you give your readers fewer options? In my case, Amazon charges me $2 extra per book for “Whispernet delivery” (except for Courtney’s books, but I buy them on Smashwords anyway). I don’t even use Whispernet delivery, but they add the charge no matter how I get the book. I have zero interest in paying this markup, so I buy very little from Amazon. A couple of months ago there was a review of a self-pubbed book that at the time was Amazon-only. Several posters suggested to the author that she make it available without DRM elsewhere so that it would be easier for readers to buy it. She did add it in a couple of other places, but with DRM. I still haven’t bought her book. How many other sales did she lose because of this? Was it worth it?

I do want to support my favorite authors – if they do well, they’ll write more, so everyone wins. But I have my own interests to think of, and there’s a limit to how much trouble (and expense) I’ll go to. So make it easy for me to buy your book, or I will most likely buy someone else’s book.

38. Vuir
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 05:43:36

@Jackie Barbosa:
    They also sell books in German, French and Italian, (which they probably don’t list on the american or uk amazon sites), clothes, electrical goods, etc. Germany, France and Italy are big markets and ignoring them would be commercially stupid.

39. Christine M.
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 07:39:00

@Holly:

If that makes you feel better, we don’t have access to those deals either on Kindle if you add the $2 surcharge to the price of the ‘deal’.

40. Ridley
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 09:36:37

If you use Calibre, there are no extra steps involved to strip DRM, really.

You go to Apprentice Alf and follow the directions to download and install a plugin for Calibre.

Once you’ve done that, it scrubs off the DRM on books as you import them into Calibre. You do nothing extra beyond installing the plugin.

41. Diana Horner
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 09:55:35

KDP Select, or general love of Amazon :) is not always the only reason that authors only have eBooks available only in Kindle format. Conversion to Kindle format can usually be handled by the author themselves, or at low cost – and so they sometimes get the ebooks up there first before investing in the ePub for example, which other retailers use. KDPS has been a boost for some writers who may not otherwise have been able to get any visibility at all, but in my experience, authors usually aim to get as wide as distribution as possible, within their means.

42. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 09:59:21

@Ridley: I don’t use Calibre. I have various reader apps installed on my Droid phone and, depending on where I bought the book in question, it either magically appears in the appropriate app or I email it to myself and open it in Bluefire (obviously, it can’t have DRM in the first place for this to work). I don’t MIND DRM enough at this point to strip it because I can always access my books through the appropriate app.

43. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 10:02:32

@Vuir: True. I suppose I see Amazon as such a heavy-hitter in the book market (and English-language books in particular) that it just seems odd to me that they went to some of the smaller EU markets (Germany is obviously a huge market, but Spain, Italy, and France are relatively much smaller) before Canada and Australia. /shrug

44. Jackie Barbosa
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 10:08:53

@Diana Horner: Formatting an ebook for the other retailers is really no more difficult than formatting them for Kindle. In fact, I don’t format directly for Kindle–I use Sigil to create the epub file (which is the format that works pretty much everywhere else) and then convert to mobi for Amazon. Yes, KDP provides the ability to upload a Word file directly (but so do PubIt and Smashwords–in fact, on Smashwords, you can ONLY upload a Word file), but this almost always results in formatting hiccups that are nearly impossible to correct. This is because underneath, both epub and mobi files are really just html, and Word creates the lousiest html code known to the hand of man.

45. Lisa J
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 11:13:48

@Ridley: I’ll have to try this when I get home. Thanks for the link.

46. Estara
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 12:08:38

I still believe an author owes a reader nothing but a book. When a book is there and they think that a single format brings them more money, I then have to decide on whether the extra-hassle (if there is one) is justified by my previous experience with the author’s work. If so, then I buy Kindle (and rip the DRM and transform to .epub) or Hardcover, etc. Otherwise not ^^.

47. Susan
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 13:30:31

@SAO: and @Meri: Thanks to both of you for your comments on georestrictions. I was going to expose my ignorance and ask what the purpose/benefits might be. I’m still not convinced that there are any. Seems like “old” thinking. Allow people from anywhere to buy the English language books and do a separate deal for the foreign translations. How would this affect your bottom line, except postively? (I was thinking that there might be some weird international trade/commerce restrictions involved, or that there were tax implications, such as local taxes/VAT not being properly collected.)

I’m afraid I’m still a bit perplexed about the surcharge. Does it really cost that much extra for ebooks to be transmitted to Canada, Australia, or other countries? Or is this just an arbitrary add-on?

48. Meri
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 14:14:17

@Susan:
    I don’t pay VAT when I order from abroad – print or electronic. For print books that go through the post office, I had to keep my orders beneath a certain amount to avoid customs charges, but that was it.

The Whispernet charge is completely arbitrary. There are books that don’t have it tacked on, though most of the books that interest me do. As I wrote earlier, Amazon adds it regardless of how you receive the book (I don’t usually have access to wifi, so I mainly sideload anyway) and you just see a higher total cost, which they claim includes “free” whispernet delivery. Ha! Hardly. Sometimes the delivery charge is more than the cost of the book. The deal posts here are infuriating because I can see the prices Jane lists, and then I go on Amazon and it’s always more expensive. So I don’t buy the books. Sorry, authors.

49. Melissa Blue
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 14:38:25

@Jackie Barbosa:

@Diana Horner:

Pretty much what Jackie said. I use Calibre and it outputs several different formats all based on the HTML file. By doing that I can get consistent results on what my book looks like on the back end. All that’s involved is selecting the book, clicking convert and choosing the format. Voila! So it’s not that much of a headache, especially if you ask whoever formats your book to include the HTML file. But some authors are leery of HTML period.

50. Holly
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 16:23:43

@Christine M.: That surcharge is completely bizarre. I checked Kobo again today though and some Loretta Chase books are now listed for $4.99 here.

51. Susan
    Apr 04, 2012 @ 17:33:50

@Meri: Thanks for the clarification. It would be great for these practices to change for non-US buyers. Benefits all around, I’d think.

52. SAO
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 00:01:47

I live in Russia, but my Kindle is registered as a US resident. I don’t get extra charges for whispernet. So, obviously, it has nothing to do with where the Kindle is (internet miles from Amazon’s servers) and everything to do with where the Kindle is registered. You can change the country on some menu deep in the manage-my-Kindle menu in Amazon. However, Amazon hasn’t always been happy when I buy e-books with my credit card with a Russian billing address. So, far, it hasn’t rejected a transaction, though.

53. SAO
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 00:22:13

On Georestrictions, I think when books were only in print, it was more profitable to print in England than to ship printed books from America or vice versa. However, publishers probably demanded exclusive rights. Would you want to advertise, say, the latest Harry Potter if nothing was stopping the British publisher from undercutting your price?

So, the rights varied by contract for each author, depending on whether the agent thought they could profitably sell rights to another market. As long as the book is in print, the rights remain with the publisher, so a deal struck 10 years ago is still in force.

I imagine for print books, it was worth it to retain rights to, say, France, because if you gave them to a US or UK publisher, you didn’t gain much, but if you kept them and your book turned out to be the next Harry Potter, you could get a lot more money from a French translation and a French publisher than leaving those rights with an English or American publisher. I don’t think anyone cared about English language bookstores outside the English speaking world.

But with E-books, I think there are decent sales to be made from all 4 corners of the earth. I don’t see why people with 10 year old geo-restricted contracts don’t figure out how to make those sales.

54. Diana Horner
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 13:07:05

@Melissa Blue: This is very true, it’s easy when you know how! Since yesterday, we have had three different authors send us ePub files to be distributed to retailers, and they all failed to validate, and have numerous errors. Of course, this means they then have to go back to the drawing board, or pay us or someone else to fix the conversion, neither option is ideal, and time is wasted. We always advise people they can convert themselves, and recommend Liz Castro (ePub Straight to the Point book) frequently, but as you say, sometimes it is not something that authors want to get involved with.

55. Melissa Blue
    Apr 05, 2012 @ 20:24:33

@Diana Horner:

“Of course, this means they then have to go back to the drawing board, or pay us or someone else to fix the conversion, neither option is ideal, and time is wasted.”

I once spent half a day trying to find a user friendly program to tell me why my e-pub wasn’t working. The other half trying to find a user friendly, dumbed down by a thousand, definition of what the errors meant and how to fix them. I figured I had two options: Pay someone $100+ to figure it out and fix it or go down the street, buy some whiskey to help me grit my way through and figure it out myself. Fortunately, I managed to grit my way through without the whiskey. So I get it on both sides. Sometimes the easiest solution is to go back through the word doc and then do the HTML all over again. Or pay someone to do it.

“…and recommend Liz Castro (ePub Straight to the Point book)”

Just checked her website. May have to pick up a few books. I get the bottom basement understanding of HTML. I can understand what’s there, what it does and tweak what’s there. But, you lose me once I have to construct my own. Thanks for the name.

56. asraidevin
    Apr 06, 2012 @ 02:16:28

@Christine M.: I don`t read on the Kindle, I have the app, but I have downloaded several books in Canada. I haven`t run into a $2 surcharge, mind you I`ve only bought three books.

A quick google search reveals that it seems to be dropped in most places. Can anyone verify

57. Mireya
    Apr 06, 2012 @ 11:38:46

@Ridley: I couldn’t agree more, Ridley.