Tuesday Midday Links: Incest Saves Lives (if You Are a Spider)

Harlequin is hosting another $10,000 giveaway, this time to promote Debbie Macomber. The contest is called “second chances” and one lucky entrant will get $10,000 to make a change in his or her life. You can signup here.

****

Amazon’s total revenue rose 46% to $7.13 billion and net income increased 68% to $299 million. The increase in revenue was as a reslut of electronics and general merchandise versus media (ebooks and books) where the sales increase were a modest 26%. Amazon says that the Kindle is the single biggest selling item for the merchant and that the number of ebooks that the Kindle store has sold is in excess of 500,000. (Honestly? This number seems very small to me assuming that Amazon has sold over 3 million Kindles).

****

Digitimes has proclaimed that there are more nooks being sold than Kindles. According to supplier numbers, the nook accounted for 53% of the eink screens ordered. This could be because more people are buying the nook or because Amazon is moving toward a color eink screen or it could just be false.

****

Publishing is still driven by the hits. According to this New York Daily Magazine article, Sarah Palin’s 2 million in book sales is the single reason that HarperCollins showed a profit in 2009.

****

Scientists have discovered that male spiders who copulate with their sisters suspense intercourse after 6 seconds, thus allowing them time to escape being eaten at the end of the coupling. Male spiders copulating with unrelated female spiders spend 9 seconds mating, which is apparently 3 seconds too long.

****

You Tube debuted five years ago. It seems hard to believe it was only five years ago but I suppose in internet years, that is like a decade at least.

****

The Booksmugglers have a recap of LA Times Book Festival. It sounds very fun and interesting.

1. Ridley
    Apr 27, 2010 @ 12:41:01

I lawled.

2. Suze
    Apr 27, 2010 @ 13:46:22

The increase in revenue was as a reslut of

Best. Typo. EVER! That totally made my day. (yes, I have a rather unexciting life)

3. deb
    Apr 27, 2010 @ 16:03:57

Interesting about the Nook sales vs. Kindle sales. But Amazon indicates # of Kindles sold and the Nook #’s reflect # of ereaders ordered by I assume the stores. Not a very accurate headline in my opinion.

Amazon Kindle books sales; I assume, like everyone else that price makes all the difference in sales of digital books. You can buy books for the Kindle cheaper from Smashwords, and Samhain for instance and convert html to the Kindle format via their service of emailing to them and they email back the book. I’ve done that and it works well. This is something the Agency 5 simply don’t look at. Price matters.

I wonder if the profits reported from Palin’s book reflect the expenses incurred, such as the private jet, private tour bus, 5 star hotels, etc. Not to mention the advance to her and hopefully to the actual author. I’m glad to hear HarperCollins is still in the ball game.

As to the male spiders, well, good luck to you, spiders. If I remember correctly, the female praying mantis nips the head off the male during or right after mating too.

Even at the battle axe age of 55, I’d be lost without YouTube. Only way I can see the Late Late Show w/ Craig Ferguson. It seems that CBS, Ferguson and Co. are delighted someone uploads the show there.

I can report, I am a happy camper. Nora’s next bride book “Savor the Moment” is available through Sony eBookStore and Kobo. It’s $9.99 through Kobo. I assumed I’d have to fore go this one. Yay Kobo! I like to support the indies.

4. DS
    Apr 27, 2010 @ 20:05:40

Terry Gross on Fresh Air interviewed Ken Auletta (author of the New Yorker article “Publish or Perish
    Can the iPad topple the Kindle, and save the book business?” about ebooks, the Kindle, the publishers, etc. Here’s the link to the site where you can download the podcast for free:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126196977 I didn’t get to listen to all of it because the station I was listening to was running its quarterly pledge fest but what I did hear was intriguing.

Apr 27, 2010 @ 20:37:27

Reslut – if it isn’t a word it should be?

6. Stumbling Over Chaos :: An Epic Episode of Linkity
    Apr 29, 2010 @ 01:03:06

[...] post on cool bookcases,  Monday Stepback at ReadReactReview, Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog, Dear Author, or the Book Smugglers post on blogging drama (featuring hysterical [...]

7. Addison Jackson
    Jun 21, 2010 @ 10:49:27

nowadays, it is sometimes to get fresh air in big cities and even in suburbs.,’.