Tor’s Still Giving It Away for Free

Tor started a promotion to advertise it’s new blog or website (or both) a few months ago by giving away a free eBook every week. In an increased effort to draw traffic, Tor has decided to put up download links for every book in its promotion which are good until Sunday.

That’s alot of free ebooks. I’m going to download Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn for Ned. Ned’s finishing up the Lois McMaster Bujold Miles Vorkosigan series and will be looking for something to read. Not that I think Sanderson is a Bujold kind of writer (or maybe he is, as I’ve not yet read him), but he has been tapped to finish off Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series.

For romance readers, there is a download available of CT Adams and Cathy Clamp, Touch of Evil, and Patti O’Shea’s In the Midnight Hour.

The Tor site also has some gorgeous wallpapers that you can download and use as the backdrop for your computer.

1. Michelle
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 09:01:51

Who is a Lois McMaster Bujold author? Please do let me know. I’m very new to the SF/Fantasy world, and I love Bujold.

Jul 23, 2008 @ 09:02:53

Hmm. This sounds like we need an If You Like series about Bujold!

3. Mel
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 09:23:38

I actually got to Sanderson before Bujold. (A travesty! Although I DO have several of hers on the TBR pile). I definitely recommend his first book, Elantris. Especially for times when you don’t want to get bogged down in a series, as it’s a standalone.

4. Leah Hultenschmidt
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 10:16:39

I started reading SOUL last night and am very intrigued so far. FOUR AND TWENTY BLACKBIRDS, a Southern gothic, also sounded pretty interesting. I don’t read a lot of sci-fi, but I noticed a lot of the titles they were offering had starred reviews in PW. It’s hard not to at least give it a try when it’s all free.

5. Jessa Slade
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 10:24:33

I noticed Tor also has Peter Watts’ STARFISH available. Awesome story. Very dense hard science fiction with a kick-ass damaged heroine. His stories sometimes make my brain hurt, and I feel like I’m riding the edge of a big wave & I’ll get squished if I don’t keep up, but that can be a good thing.

He has a nice website too with a funny take on the commercial redevelopment of vampies (for a different book, BLINDSIGHT.) Keep an eye on the tag lines for the imaginary pharma co. Very amusing… in that possibly too-true way.

6. Devon
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 11:02:32

Thanks! Just downloaded the Patti O’Shea, and I want to check out some of the others

7. Charlene Teglia
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 14:05:01

One of Bujold’s influences is Georgette Heyer, but I’m not sure how much Ned would be into those. *g* He might like the Honor Harrington series, by David Weber.

8. SonomaLass
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 16:10:08

I was excited go get the titles that I missed in the free Tor downloads. I have them all now, and I think I have tossed the extra copies of the ones I accidentally downloaded twice.

Touch of Evil was very good, and Kage Baker’s In the Garden of Iden is an old favorite of mine that I was glad to have in e-form. (Lost that series in the divorce, past time to replace them.) I agree that Sanderson’s Elantris was an excellent stand-alone read — it was good enough that I was sorry it wasn’t a series, if that makes sense — so I think Mistborn will be the next of these that I read.

I expect to find several new authors to read amongst this group, as well as being reminded of some I haven’t read in a while. For authors with series and/or decent backlists, this is the best marketing tool I can think of to get new readers buying their books. I’ve already invested in three books as a direct result of the Tor freebies that I have read, so obviously this works on me.

9. Lynne
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 20:40:24

I love this Tor program and have been downloading all the books as they’ve become available. I’ve bought several of the books since the program started, and others I owned already. My Centro’s ebook library is off to a great start. :-)

10. Jody W.
    Jul 23, 2008 @ 22:18:49

Of the Tor books, I enjoyed the Asaro novels okay, Old Man’s War, and Through Wolf’s Eyes. I read several of them but I’m drawing a blank on the rest. Oh, the Lackey elf book was all right, too. Not my favorite Lackey but readable.