Thursday News: Women fighting on the front lines; Samsung’s exciting new...

Samsung’s new phone, which should be announced in April, will include display panels that “use hexagonal and diamond-shaped pixel layouts, as opposed to your standard squares, to pack even more pixels into the display.”

In Bonnie Tsui’s book “She Went to the Field” she recounts the historical portraits of women who bound their breasts, posed as man, and served with the male troops. “Even though women weren’t legally allowed to fight in the Civil War, it is estimated that somewhere around 400 women disguised themselves as men and went to war, sometimes without anyone ever discovering their true identities.”

And this is a lovely bit of fantasy, isn’t it? To have that one person who sees you at your worst moments, who knows all your flaws and all your regrets, and still–still!–feels privileged to love you? (how cool would it be if this feeling were truly mutual, huh?) And we continue to see the heroes, after winning fair maiden, willing to accommodate her quirks and go to great lengths to make her happy–because making her truly happy makes them happy. Part of this fantasy is the high regard in which all the heroes hold women–not just their heroines, sisters, mothers, friends, but all women. For example, in Virgin River, Jack breaks off a friends with benefits relationship shortly after meeting Mel, not because he thinks he has a chance with Mel but because it’s not fair to Charmaine for Jack to have sex with her while wanting someone else.

1. Kiki
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 07:03:32

Always lovely to hear poetry well read – thanks for the link. Hiddleston has a good voice, but no one will ever sound better than Ron Perlman. I still listen to the tape of him reading poetry that he did in connection with the 80s Beauty & the Beast!

2. Shiloh Walker
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 07:30:21

So…um, with that voice? I don’t care what TH is reading to us. As long as he reads us something.

3. carmen webster buxton
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 07:31:52

There are Georgette Heyer audiobooks? I never thought of it! Although it would be hard not to laugh at the instances where one guy drives up in a carriage pulled by two horses and another guy says to him, “Fine pair of tits you’ve got there.” But then, I laughed when I read it to myself so it’s not that different.

4. Patricia Eimer
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 07:42:50

I think it’s a pretty well established fact that Tom Hiddleston and Richard Armitage could read the phone book and most women (me included) would throw money at them.

5. Sunita
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 08:28:04

@carmen webster buxton: I really enjoy RA’s narration of Heyer, but just a warning: all the books by him are abridged. I didn’t mind the excisions in The Convenient Marriage too much, although I did notice them. But Venetia drove me up a wall. If you know the books very well, you’ll notice what is left out, and in my case they were some of my favorite bits.

6. Isobel Carr
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 09:40:32

Bacon of the Month club is my go to gift for the men in my life:

7. Carrie G
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:13:24

@carmen webster buxton:

OH yes! Heyer on audio is such a treat! But as much as I love Armitage, I can’t hack the abridged versions. Most of the narrators for the Heyer books are excellent, but I especially recommend Cornelius Garrett and Eve Matheson. Audible has several wonderful Heyer books. I only wish more would be rereleased in the U.S. Our library has an almost worn-out copy of The Talisman Ring and it’s one of the most charming and humorous books I’ve ever listened to.

8. Carrie G
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:16:17

@Shiloh Walker: So true. I’ve been over on youtube watching videos of him giving the St. Crispin’s Day speech from Henry V from memory. And talking about Jurassic Park. And well just about anything where I can hear his voice.

9. P. Kirby
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:38:18

@Carrie G:

The Youtube video of him (as Henry V) wooing Catherine of Valois gives me the big happy.

10. Little Red
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:52:32

Yes, the Heyer audiobooks, as read by Richard Armitage, are abridged but since my love for him knows no bounds, I still love them.

And now I’m going to go to Youtube to find this Tom Hiddleston video of him wooing Catherine of Valois.

11. CK
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 11:14:36

@Patricia Eimer: So, so true! :)

Hiddleston narrated The Red Necklace by Sally Gardner. I’m on disc three and loving it. I think it has something to do with the French Revolution but tbh, I’m not really paying that much attention to the story :)

12. Blake Sheridan
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 13:54:12

Anyone interested in women fighting during the Civil War might enjoy “An Uncommon Soldier” by Lauren Cook Burgess, which published the Civil War letters written by one of those women who assumed a male identity and joined the Union army. I found it pretty fascinating.

Also, Tom Hiddleston’s reading? Oh my. Oh. My. Thank you for posting that.

13. carmen webster buxton
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 15:20:07

@Sunita @Carrie G:

Thanks for the warning! Abridging a Heyer sounds like sacrilege. I would definitely notice, except for the mysteries and (probably) Cousin Kate.

14. Ann Somerville
    Jan 24, 2013 @ 18:30:26

“In Bonnie Tsui’s book “She Went to the Field” she recounts the historical portraits of women who bound their breasts, posed as man, and served with the male troops. ”

Terry Pratchett’s ‘Monstrous Regiment’ is based on that premise too.