Thursday News: Upgrade to iOS7; Testicle studies suggest smaller is better;...

Yesterday, all day, I thought it was Thursday. When I realized it was Wednesday, at first I was disgruntled but then I was stoked because I actually gained a day. Today is a bonus day. Maybe not for you, but for me.

1. Ros
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 05:41:46

I cannot see what free speech has to do with the Armstrong case at all. Free speech is no defence against deception and fraud, surely?

2. JenM
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 08:29:03

My hubs is an iDevice developer and from what he has said, I would discourage anyone from installing iOS 7 early. He says that it is such a radical redesign of the operating system that a lot of apps are going to break and will need to be updated. He tends to be like chicken little about this kind of stuff (The sky is falling!) but still, I wouldn’t rush out to update.

3. Lorenda Christensen
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 09:20:24

My husband is also an iDevice developer, so I got to take a tour on the new system, and I’m with Jane – brightness adjustment from the front page? I’m in. Plus, I liked the new growing folder feature. I want it, and I want it now.

4. hapax
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 10:39:09

We have a lot of useful spouses on this comment thread :-)

Mine is an evolutionary biologist, and has been laughing about this testicle size study for days. He says that the sample size is so small and the correlation is so tenuous that the paper should never have been published — the only reason that all the news organizations have picked it up is because the journos are stuck in a fourth-grade mentality and literally want to write “bollocks”. (Either that, or they want to feel better about their own endowments.)

5. Kim
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 12:31:17

In Stutzman v. Armstrong, the judged followed a two-step process in considering a motion to dismiss under California’s anti-SLAPP statute. In order for the defendents to prevail in the motion to dismiss, they first had to show that Armstrong’s “lies” arose from a protected activity (free speech). Once the judge determined that Armstrong’s lawyers made such a showing, then the burden shifted to the plaintiffs in the case. The plaintiffs then had to show they had a probability of prevailing at trial. Although on the burden of proof scale, the probability only had to tip to over 50%, they still couldn’t meet this burden. Thus, the judge granted the motion to dissmiss.

According to the opinion, “[o]nly a cause of action that satisfies both prongs of the anti-SLAPP statute—i.e., that arises from protected speech or petitioning and lacks even minimal merit—is a SLAPP, subject to being stricken under the statute.”

Here’s the entire opinion:

6. Dabney
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 12:42:54

@JenM: My son is with you. He develops apps and has heard tons of horror stories of apps not working with OS7. Apple is now requiring that all submitted new apps as well as updates work smoothly with OS7.

7. Kim
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 14:45:56

Jane just informed me that the aforementioned case is a ruling on the motion to compel, not the decision to dismiss the case. Sorry about that.

8. Andrea D
    Sep 12, 2013 @ 15:14:06

I think this is a link to the Armstrong order.