Thursday News: Unlimited subscription access offered to kids from Amazon; Verizon...

Victorian photograph with helmet

1. Brie
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 07:09:53

I am a fan of novellas. I think it takes a lot of skill to write a good one, but $3.99 is expensive, especially considering that $3.99 is also the price of the new 80,000-words Superromances. But maybe these novellas will include priceless sex tips, like these: http://www.nerve.com/advice/ridiculous-tips/the-best-of-ridiculous-tips-for-a-miserable-sex-life-emcosmopolitan-em-edition

2. DS
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 08:12:15

@Brie:

Thank you, I nearly choked on my water reading about the hand job instructions! Priceless.

As for Verizon, how about this patent that Microsoft has applied for:

The patent application, filed under the heading “Content Distribution Regulation by Viewing User,” proposes to use cameras and sensors like those in the Xbox 360 Kinect controller to monitor, count and in some cases identify the people in a room watching television, movies and other content. The filing refers to the technology as a “consumer detector.”

In one scenario, the system would then charge for the television show or movie based on the number of viewers in the room. Or, if the number of viewers exceeds the limits laid out by a particular content license, the system would halt playback unless additional viewing rights were purchased.

I got this from Techdirt.com, but they were quoting Geekwire.

3. Merrian
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 08:13:17

Love that picture. The ladies dress looks 1870s and I do believe the style of train is called a fishtail train. So perhaps we have our deep sea diver with his mermaid bride?

4. CG
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 08:14:52

Lovely cover for Blood Song. I’m curious, did the author say if First Page was a factor in her being published? As far as worldwide availability, I’m not seeing it at BN.

So Verizon actually wants to monitor me in my home? Hell. No. Why would they think this is a good idea rather than incredibly creepy. Fail.

5. Jayne
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 08:51:55

@Brie: “If, at any point during this oddly elaborate ritual, he looks confused, toss him a heated stare and say, “I crave you” — you know, to clear things up.”

Oh, please. Will some author include this in her next sex scene?

6. Ros
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 10:10:18

Dear Amazon, please can I have 1000 books a month for $4.99? I promise to be good.

7. Wahoo Suze
    Dec 06, 2012 @ 19:56:22

Who knew that Max Headroom was prophesying the future? Any day now, they’ll install spy technology on our cable boxes, and “off” buttons will be illegal.

There was a scandal in recent memory (last year maybe?) in which a school was spying on students in their bedrooms via school-issued laptops. It’s really, really disturbing. We’re all being converted into marketing data points, and are agreeing to give up so many rights in exchange for convenience and entertainment.