Thursday News: Thickset is apparently an insult worthy of correction; Pearson...

Robert Durand thickset

1. Claire
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 04:08:57

A little bewildered they had to tell people not to take photos… Really? How is that appropriate?

2. Kaetrin
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 05:25:38

So, someone complained? Presumably the navy officer? I have visions of: “I’m not thickset, I’m muscular! I insist on a retraction!” Lolololol.

3. Loosheesh
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 05:55:36

@Claire: I was thinking the same thing but then I remembered something I read sometime ago about someone in the subway (can’t remember where) being pushed in front an oncoming train and the first reaction of some bystanders wasn’t horror (or some futile attempt to help) but to take a photo for posterity. Sometimes I think I’m living in an upside-down world :(

4. Ros
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 06:28:02

@Claire: I’d be amazed if there wasn’t someone trying to video it and upload it to youtube.

5. Sunny
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 09:24:12

5-10 minutes! I’d be okay with that and not 30hrs! I’d even take the extra strangers, although I’d want probably grump something about charging for tickets. That’s amazing.

I’d also have to name the kid Barney.

6. Jamie Beck
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 13:51:32

Some lady gave birth within 10 minutes of walking into the store? At that point in both my labors, my contractions were less than 1 minute apart and I was literally in screaming pain (natural childbirth/no drugs). How, or actually WHY, was this woman shopping for books at that particular point during her labor? Wow. Not sure whether I’m impressed or horrified.

As for the retraction, it makes me laugh on several levels. I’m surprised by the naval officer’s vanity. Frankly, I’d be more embarrassed to demand the retraction than to just deal with the original description.

7. Susan
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 15:12:36

@Jamie Beck: There was no indication that the naval officer was the one who requested the correction. And, based on his photos, I’d say that neither word accurately describes him. Which doesn’t surprise me in the least.

8. Erin Satie
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 21:34:09

Actually, turns out the dude is pretty svelte–neither ‘thickset’ nor exactly ‘muscular’:

9. SAo
    Oct 24, 2013 @ 23:43:47

@Jamie
    I had stop and go labor with my second child (the first was induced). My contractions would be stop for an hour or two and start up much stronger and closer, for an hour or two, then stop. If my mother hadn’t told me this was what happened to her, I might not have got to the hospital on time. As it was, on the way to the hospital, my husband said we could always turn around to avoid the embarrassment of a wasted trip. When we got to the hospital, the nurses weren’t sure I was in labor. My son was born 15 minutes later, before they called the doctor.

So, I can see someone delivering 10 minutes after getting to a store.

10. Jamie Beck
    Oct 25, 2013 @ 15:05:19

@SAo:

@SAo That’s really interesting to learn. I can imagine such an erratic labor could be confusing (even frustrating, if it went on for a long time), especially absent the forewarning you received from your mom. I’m a bit of a neurotic worrywart, so I doubt I would handle such uncertainty very well. But I do envy the 10-15 minute birthing period! ;-)