Thursday news: Outlander books coming to Starz; Indigo Books to...

Outlander

Reader Tamar shared this tidbit with me from a the Chief of the Brimfield Police Dept:

Brimfield Police Department
Chief’s Rant…..on “asking for it.”

Boy, did Serena Williams step in it. Williams is a pro tennis player. She recently did an interview and somehow the Steubenville rape incident came up. If you aren’t familiar with it, do a web search. I posted about it before and won’t go through it all again.

Williams offered some opinions on the case, including this little snippet of wisdom….”Obviously, I don’t know, maybe she wasn’t a virgin, but she shouldn’t have put herself in that position….”

I am beyond frustrated over that line of thinking. Wow. Williams immediately backpedaled the statement; however, it’s hard to un-ring that bell. There is nothing a victim can do; no situation a female can “put herself in” which should result in rape. None. A woman can be engaged in prostitution and still reserve the right to say no.

We are a social bunch of citizens. People go out. They go to parties. They dance, they drink….that is not an invitation for unwanted and/or forceful assault….it’s drinking and dancing. It is not an open door for violence. Rape is not about the act…it is about control and dominance. In the modern age we live in I cannot fathom a female, particularly one with the visibility of a professional athlete, having the attitude and expressing the belief that another female can “put herself” in situation to be raped.

That is giving credence to the rapist….who is a vile criminal.

I don’t care how a person acts, dresses, talks, walks or dances…. Sex is always consensual. There is NEVER and excuse or a situation that results in blame being assigned to the victim.

Those who believe excuses and situations exist need to get their heads out of their posteriors.

Chief Oliver…..out.

1. Kaetrin
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 04:32:48

Well said Chief Oliver.

2. Nikki
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 06:00:37

Very well put Chief Oliver. I have not been impressed with Serena Williams in a long time and her statements were even less impressive.

The annoying thing about the inmate medical complex article is that it did not mention the fungus they were concerned about. My suspicion is it is coccidioidomycosis, however everyone knows that fungus, it is taught in medical schools as “San Joaquin Valley fever”. Periodically there are outbreaks mostly because the fungus is active after rain. And the truth is the vast majority of people have it briefly and are asymptomatic unless someone does a biopsy. I would be more concerned about the tuberculosis rates in prisons. We had cocci cases all the time when I was a resident in Phoenix. It is well known to be endemic to the southwest, so… why is this suddenly an issue that the media cares about? However, inmate healthcare is still something they should address regardless, having people kept together like that just breeds all kinds of nasty and virulent bugs.

3. Patricia Eimer
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 07:24:38

Chief Oliver can I buy you a beer? Because you are all kinds of awesome

4. Lori Sjoberg
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 08:31:33

I’m loving Chief Oliver.

As for Outlander, I’m thrilled that it’s being adapted but scared to death that they’ll mess it up.

5. Isobel Carr
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 08:57:23

@Nikki: Yes, they’re talking about Valley Fever (which actually occurs in MANY places outside the San Joaquin Valley in California; anywhere dry and dusty can harbor it). A good friend of mine caught it in Arizona. He lived, but the treatment regimen was awful and it took a major toll on him.

6. Darlynne
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 10:22:17

@Nikki: It can be, based on the News Hour report I watched, as deadly as West Nile virus, but because the occurrences are in the West, no one notices or sets aside funding for research. Doctors and scientists apparently are very concerned.

A look at Chief Oliver’s other comments, too, on the Brimfield PD’s Facebook page reaffirms my faith in humanity.

7. Carrie G
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 10:37:00

I want to live in Chief Oliver’s town! I enjoyed looking at the facebook page.

8. Lindsay
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 11:36:43

Since I’m from Toronto and have the lovely Constable Sanguinetti whose remarks spurred the whole Slutwalk movement, I wonder if we can convince Chief Oliver to move here for a little while and drill a little bit of misogyny out of our local police force?

Truly though, it’s so heartening when people from positions of power speak out for people who don’t have any.

As to the prison and Valley Fever, I don’t quite understand, but… don’t prisons make scads and scads of money? I’m not arguing the folks inside don’t need care, oh no they do indeed, I’m asking why the state pays for prisons that get into the derelict and disgusting states listed in the article, set billions aside of taxpayer money for their upkeep and update, but they stay that way and the profits go directly to private pockets, and this is somehow not even blinked at in the article. How do you lose 6 million dollars and the people you’re “caring” for don’t even have sinks and toilets?

9. sula
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:18:04

Count me in as another Outlander fan(atic) who is simultaneously excited and terrified. I have been crushing on Jamie and Claire for some fifteen plus years, having started the series back when I was sixteen and developing my love of romance novels. I doubt any film version could possibly do it justice but I’m willing to be open-minded and see what new version is put forward.

10. Darlynne
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 12:53:21

Also on the ink-to-TV front, Tor.com posted that Ben Aaronovitch’s Peter Grant books are coming to the small screen in the UK. I swear, I would move to England or Scotland or Wales just for access to the television channels.

11. Nikki
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 16:29:33

@Isobel Carr: also @ Darlynne

A severe case of cocci is horrible. And definitely when I was in training, if there was someone with a severe pneumonia not responding to other treatments we started looking into travel history and contacts. The treatment is worse than the actual disease sometimes such as amphotericin when the others meds did not work. ugh. But it also depends on where your manifestation is. I know that in several autopsies we found that people who lived in the area often had signs of disease but were completely asymptomatic. Which feeds your inner neurotic when you think about it.

I have resigned myself to having severe fungal disease if I ever have to be immunosuppressed for any reason. I have lived for extended periods of time in all the hotbeds of endemic fungal diseases.

12. Isobel Carr
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 17:34:41

@Lindsay:

don’t prisons make scads and scads of money

Perhaps private ones do. But state facilities COST scads and scads of money (close to $50K a year per inmate based on the info I saw).

13. Susan
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 17:56:18

I’m an Outlander fan (mostly the earlier books). While I’m excited about the screen adaptation, part of me is also prepared for an Earthsea-like debacle. It’s conceivable they’ll get it right, but there’s so much more potential for it to go horribly wrong.

And–yay, Chief!

14. Lindsay
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 20:46:18

@Isobel Carr: Oh, thank you, that was hugely informative — where I live they’re all government-run but one, but I wasn’t sure how they’re handled in the US as it seems to be a mix, and it’s not made clear what money is earmarked for what (although it doesn’t seem to be getting where it needs to :( (.

15. Janine
    Jun 27, 2013 @ 21:11:07

@Lori Sjoberg & @Susan: I’m coming from the exact opposite perspective on Outlander. I’m not a fan of the Gabaldon books (I read 700 pages of the first one and then quit) but I may tune in anyway because I was a big fan of writer/producer Ronald D. Moore’s work on his Battlestar Galactica remake which at the time it aired was hailed by many as one of the best series on television. I especially like the way Moore writes strong female characters.