Thursday News: News is bad for you, David Mamet to self...

Panicky stories spur the release of cascades of glucocorticoid (cortisol). This deregulates your immune system and inhibits the release of growth hormones. In other words, your body finds itself in a state of chronic stress. High glucocorticoid levels cause impaired digestion, lack of growth (cell, hair, bone), nervousness and susceptibility to infections. The other potential side-effects include fear, aggression, tunnel-vision and desensitisation.

CNN headline

I thought it was particularly ironic given how horrible CNN appears to be botching the news. Look at the headlines that were on its website yesterday regarding the Boston Marathon bombing. The Guardian

Both Mr. Harris and Mr. Mamet said that the big publishers focused mostly on blockbuster books and fell short on other titles — by publishing too few copies, for instance, or limiting advertising to only a short period after a book was released. NYTimes

1. Sunny
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 05:34:30

Aw, I liked some of the things made. I have a router cover sitting on my desk made out of an old goodwill hardcover hollowed out, because I’d rather see a book all day than blinky lights. Most thrift stores have hundreds of old hardcovers (Goodwill near me has 40 copies of Twilight alone…), it’s better than consigning them to eventually be recycled.

2. Jan
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:35:09

I agree with Sunny that I liked some of the things made out of the books! I love books, but there are many books in thrift stores and I don’t see a problem with repurposing and reusing them.

3. cecilia
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:43:38

As long as the books are not rare editions, I don’t get what the big deal is with repurposing them. The only thing that really bothered me was that the “To thine own self be true” was stencilled on top of a page from Love’s Labour’s Lost.

Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:44:56

@cecilia: There are so many copies of Shakespeare around though. Plus it is in the public domain. You could print those pages out and age them yourself.

5. Ros
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:51:26

@Jane: I think her point was more that it’s the wrong play!

Apr 18, 2013 @ 07:54:30

@Ros: Oh, of course. LOL.

7. Susan
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 16:47:14

Not horrified, either. Kinda like the table.

Agree that reading the news can make me sad. But you know what makes me more sad? Reading the comments people leave. That’ll make a person lose faith in humanity in a hurry.

8. B. Sullivan
    Apr 18, 2013 @ 19:43:38

Yeah those book crafts did not strike me as horrific. Of course it’s one thing to re-use a paperback, and another to chop up a hardback that’s not really damaged. I always wish book crafts had something more posted by the makers – for instance some books have water damage/mold or pages missing, etc. and so the maker was salvaging something already ruined and about to be tossed. Which seems like a good thing. But I see a lot of crafts done with old covers and endpapers that look completely pristine. That does make me sigh. And also wonder if they knew how to check to see if their edition was worth salvaging. All the craft stuff I’ve done was with xerox’d pages from the original and then tinted to look old. Most of the crafts on that page could easily be done with xerox’d pages and you’d not be able to tell the difference.