Thursday News: Medically approved workout for librarians; Harlequin revenues decline; HarperCollins...

Another suitor for B&N is said to be Microsoft who already owns 17.6%. If we are speculating, I wonder if Pearson has the money to buy Barnes & Noble. Or maybe the combined company of Random + Penguin. That would really shake things up.

Company spokeswoman Erin Crum told The Times-Tribune in November that the “industry is changing” and shifting to a more digital format.”

However, Harlequin’s forecast seems a lot more positive so maybe the company is getting a handle on the digital change.

1. Lia
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 05:21:46

I’m surprised that Harlequin partly blames the 50 Shades success for its decline in revenue. I would actually have expected the opposite, that they would have benefited from it.

2. Jules
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 07:48:35

That workout video was awesome! Like walking into the libraries of my youth or a time capsule or something. Thanks for sharing!

3. Carrie G
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 09:44:33

I would buy more ebooks directly from Harlequin but they only offer adobe epub. I hate that platform. I can do epub, but will no longer buy in adobe epub.

Edited to add: the soundtrack of the workout tap was super! Made we want to pull out all those old LPs I have in a closet…

4. Brian
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 11:32:19

With digital, Harlequin is competing with many more sources of content (many of them selling DRM free). Certainly that has to come into play when talking about digital growth or the lack there of.

5. cleo
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 12:50:48

It’s interesting to me that Harlequin uses DRM, but their imprint Carina Press doesn’t. I buy a lot of ebooks from Carina. A Lot. Not so much from Harlequin. Partly because of my taste and partly because of DRM.

6. Selma
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 20:03:19

Unfortunately I suspect that the B&N/Walmart rumors are coming on the heels of reports of B&N struggling. It is possible that Walmart might see B&N on the verge of death throes and buy it for a pittance. I’m not entirely sure if the situation is that dire yet, and I suspect that a large amount of B&N’s employees don’t know either – I’ve heard wildly differing reports about the ultimate fate of the company from people who worked at different stores.