Thursday News: Klout sells to Lithium, Diesel eBooks closes, Books on...

Klout acquired for $200 million by Lithium Technologies – Remember when everyone was checking their Klout scores? Well, apparently Klout’s own score has just risen exponentially, with this $200 million acquisition by Lithium, in a mix of cash and private stock. Are people still paying attention to Klout? The whole thing seemed kind of random to me, but I admit I never studied the service in any detail.

Early on, Klout’s scoring process earned controversy. How valuable is an individual’s social pull? Could it be monetized? And how exactly were Klout scores achieved? To wit, at one point, President Obama ranked lower than tech influencer Robert Scoble, an issue that was remedied with a major redesign in 2012 that offered more accurate scores, as well as further transparency into how scores are measured. Since then, Klout has also expanded with Klout for Business, a portal intended offering deeper analytics to brands, as well as content creation aggregation, so users could share articles and posts with their audience. –Fortune/CNN

Diesel eBooks to Close – Although apparently Diesel claims it’s not gone for good, the short notice of their shutdown (and apparently you have until March 31st to back up your books) doesn’t exactly bode well, does it. Nor does the incredibly brief announcement on their website. –Publishers Weekly

Defunct Indie eBook Retailer BooksOnBoard Files Antitrust Lawsuit Against Apple, 5 Publishers – And speaking of Diesel, Books on Board has joined them in filing an antitrust suit against Apple and the Big 5 publishers, arguing, like Diesel, that they were harmed by the collusion. In BOB’s case, they are claiming that “agency” pricing effectively shut them down, and considering my own experience trying to buy books right when the pricing scheme was rolling over into “agency,” that argument doesn’t seem so far fetched.

They’re basically making the same argument as the one Diesel eBooks made when that ebookstore filed its suit a couple weeks ago. Both parties are pointing to the lawsuit which the Department of Justice filed against Apple and the publishers in April 2012. The 5 publishers settled before trial, but Apple lost in July 2013.

. . .

According to the complaint, BooksOnBoard says that before Agency took effect in April 2010, they were the largest independent ebook retailer in the United States, with revenue behind only Amazon and Barnes & Noble. (I think they are exaggerating for effect.)  –The Digital Reader

Galleries: NASA celebrates the Cosmos – And now, a virtual palate cleanser. Enjoy! –News.com.au

1. Jayne
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 04:04:50

The NASA pictures make me want to go read a SF or space opera book.

2. Amanda
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 07:53:11

Luckily I hadn’t bought that many books from Diesel, unfortunately most of those I couldn’t get to backup yesterday. I am a shopper that likes to hunt around for the best price but stuff like this makes me wary of buying non-Amazon ebooks.

NASA site is simply beautiful. Thank YOU for sharing that.

3. Thursday News: Klout sells to Lithium, Diesel eBooks closes, Books … | Ebook Readers Deals
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 08:57:45

[…] Continue Reading: Thursday News: Klout sells to Lithium, Diesel eBooks closes, Books … […]

4. Isobel Carr
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 09:06:46

And that makes three places I bought books because I didn’t want to support Amazon that have now closed and essentially sucked my books away with them. Makes me feel like a fool for not going with the biggest player from the get-go.

5. Barb in Maryland
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 10:18:43

Another ‘thank you’ here for the NASA Gallery. Just, Wow!

6. Fallen Professor
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 10:50:17

I remember Books on Board during that transition, and it was very frustrating because I actually lost access to many books I’d bought. I don’t live in the U.S., and apparently one of the changes involved placing geo restrictions on many titles. I was not happy, because I could no longer download books I’d bought in the past, and could not buy most of the books on my wish list.

7. Ros
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 11:05:25

@Fallen Professor: Yup, I had that with BoB and with Diesel, I think. Made me so angry that I never bought from either again.

8. FD
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 13:07:32

Count me in as another person who stopped buying from BoB out of sheer frustration during the agency period. In the UK we never had many etailers in the first place, so when BoB stopped being convenient I ended up almost solely with Amazon out of default.

9. MrsJoseph
    Mar 27, 2014 @ 15:08:27

I didn’t lose anything with BoB – Fictionwise killed me. I had a ton of books and a huge wishlist. I tried to d/l them all but I loss access to a lot of them and the d/l were weird.

More fool me. I started disinfecting all my ebooks at that time.

10. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Just another Linkity Friday (earworm, anyone?)
    Apr 04, 2014 @ 19:16:01