Thursday News: Kindle iOS App Brings COLLECTIONS aka folders; Lance Armstrong’s...

Kindle iOS COllections

I might have released an audible squeal upon learning that the updated Kindle App for iOS7 has folders. You can easily create as many folders you like and then inside the folder, you add and delete at will.  Plus, your collections are synced with your account so the collections on your Kindle paperwhite appear on your Kindle iPad on your Kindle iPhone. I suspect that the Kindle Fire and the desktop apps are yet to come.  I’ve got some work to do.

“Under Bolger, speech can be characterized as commercial when it’s admittedly advertising, references a specific product, and is spoken with an economic motive. Commercial speech inextricably intertwined with otherwise fully protected speech becomes fully protected.”

None of the statements Armstrong made about his non use of rugs proposed a commercial transaction nor did the publicity efforts surrounding the book. And that even if they were, the commercial and noncommercial speech were inextricably entwined. Rebecca Tushnet’s 43(B)log

1. Patricia Eimer
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 06:48:40

Oooooh the kindle folders. I might cry. This is so beautiful.

2. Lada
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 08:08:48

Haven’t read all of it but there are some interesting figures in the publishers report. I’m curious if there are ereaders (Kindle and the like) easily available in countries like France. I thought they were until I read that Hachette’s digital revenue in France (where they are based) is only 1.8% compared to 23% in the US and UK. Or is it more a lack of content?

Also, looks like Dragon is floundering on you today Jane. My favorite slip from above might be about Armstrong’s non use of rugs . Heh.

3. cleo
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 08:15:37

If / when the folders sync across all devices, that may be the thing that gets me to switch to Kindle. Not ready to ditch my Nook / convert my bazillion epub files yet, but you know, I like to organize my books. It makes me happy. One of the reasons I bought a Nook in the first place was because they had folders and Kindle didn’t yet.

4. library addict
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 08:52:37

That’s what I love about Calibre and my Sony. The Sony automatically sets up folders/collections with whatever series names and tags I have in Calibre. I never would have gone digital if I wouldn’t have had a device that had organizational capabilities. Happy for all the Kindle users who have been waiting for this.

5. Cheryl McInnis
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 09:00:46

Any idea if the Kindle App for Android devices is going to adopt this feature with the next update? I’m having some major jealousy issues right now ;)

6. Isobel Carr
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 09:35:53

@Lada: Yes, there’s Bookeen’s CyBook (which is a French company). I have one and I loved it until FictionWise lost all NY content and I had to start stripping DRM from Kindle books to use it. And they sell Kindles there now too. One of the big issues with Hachette is availability. They bought world English rights to my books, but they didn’t release them as eBooks anywhere but North America.

7. Lorenda Christensen
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 11:03:34

@Patricia Eimer:
    Yes. Tears are rolling down my face. Kindle Folders, I have been waiting for you my entire life!

8. Janine
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 12:52:32

@library addict: The Kindle e-reading devices have had folders/collections for a long time. I believe it’s only Kindle for iOS that is just getting them now.

9. library addict
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 14:36:10

@Janine: I thought I’d remembered seeing the option on my Kindle4PC, but since I don’t use the app for reading I’ve never investigated further.

10. Helen Marie
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 18:11:14

I AM SO EXCITED TO HAVE FOLDERS (Yes, this needs all caps). I had no idea! I can’t wait to organize. Thanks for the heads up.

11. Holly
    Sep 19, 2013 @ 22:31:22

I updated the new Kindle app 4.0 for my iPad – which I haven’t updated the IOS yet – it replicated all my Kindle folder/collection that I have on my Paperwhite – no work from me. What is interesting – is that it populated the folders from my old Kindle 2 that died too – apparently they have a record of that too. Kind of scary but very convenient.

12. Maydee
    Sep 20, 2013 @ 05:13:37

Elsevier owns LexisNexis not Westlaw. Westlaw is owned by Thomson Reuters.