Thursday News: Dumb senate questions; Claire Felicie’s pictoral study; Amazon’s WhisperCast

Marines' Faces Before, During, and After Serving in Afghanistan

1. library addict
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 05:26:43

The Fifty Shades question I would expect in a Saturday Night Live sketch, but their REAL debate? Egads!

2. Patricia Eimer
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 08:08:40

Really? Forget about taxes or unemployment or social welfare programs we in America care about whether or not you get hot when a guy spanks a woman. After all, you’re just women, it’s not like your Senate votes are actually counted or anything. *ugh*

3. CourtneyLee
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 08:42:51

I’m all for lighthearted questions to give everyone a laugh, but that was pretty lame. I like one of the comments on the buzzfeed: “Cause that’s an important issue that will decide MY vote, said no woman ever.” I’m also glad that the candidate said no because you know someone would have said something incredibly stupid and irrelevant (moreso than the the question was) if she’d said yes.

4. Christine
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 09:28:16

Ugh! I just cringed watching that. And what made it worse was that it was the female moderator that asked the question, and after both candidates said no they hadn’t read it she had to laugh and say “oh me either” or words to that effect. REALLY? You think this is appropriate for a U.S. Senate debate? With everything going on in the U.S. and the world today that was the best use of time in the debate? If a man had asked that he would have been (correctly) crucified in the press.

5. Leah Hultenschmidt
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 11:38:01

Kills me. I can’t imagine two men getting the same question.

6. hapax
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 12:18:08

OTOH, “What was the last book you read and what did you get out of it?” might make for a really interesting debate question.

If nothing else, it might serve to demonstrate basic literacy and reading comprehension. :-)

7. Janine
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 12:59:10

@Leah Hultenschmidt: That was my first thought when I read about that.

8. cecilia
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 16:59:32

@hapax: Agreed, assuming you got an honest answer. Which my jaded side thinks is unlikely. They’d probably just name a book that played well with focus groups.

9. Susan
    Oct 18, 2012 @ 17:21:34

On par with the “boxers or briefs” question, although that wasn’t posed by a moderator during a debate.