Thursday News & Deals: Wallets Prepare, Johanna Lindsey’s Backlist is $3.99...

Suz sent me this article and highlighted the following quote. Robin and I talk a lot about paradigms and how if you aren’t part of the paradigm or you don’t make an attempt to understand it, then you can’t understand people within the paradigm. My first illumination was understanding that readers were not customers of the big publishers, instead it was retailers like Barnes & Noble, Borders, and even Amazon. This has never been so clear than by John Sergeant using Tor.com, a reader community, to address authors, agents, and illustrators, about Macmillan’s position on the DOJ lawsuit. The following comment by the editor of the New Republic will clarify the paradigm of those inside traditional publishing even more. It doesn’t matter if you agree with the following statement. Instead, think of how illuminating this comment is.

The fate of an entire industry seems to hang on the fate of every book, and the feeling is perfectly understandable,” said Leon Wieseltier, the literary editor of The New Republic. “People who know how to publish books are in danger of being put out of business by people who don’t but think they do.” New York Times

As an aside, and I don’t have the link handy at this moment, Apple is demanding a trial and the three horsemen (S&S, Hachette, HarperCollins) are close to settling a 50 state ebook reader refund which may eliminate their civil class action liability. That’s pretty smart.

Beware the dark ones. They are not nice looking or friendly.Gawker

Deals

Johanna Lindsey holds a deep and honored place in my reading memory. I’m going to be broke after today.

• Paradise Wild by Johanna Lindsey * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Fires of Winter by Johanna Lindsey * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Once a Princess by Johanna Lindsey * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Hearts Aflame by Johanna Lindsey * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Storm that is Sterling by Lisa Renee Jones * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S

1. Mireya
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:22:37

I can’t say I am surprised about the jury trial demand by Apple. What are a few thousand dollars compared to the $600 billion they are valued at *snort*

2. Avery Flynn
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:22:46

Jane, I’m going to be broke right along with you. Johanna Lindsey was my first and still my favorite romance writer. The poor ladies at the library knew exactly what I was going to ask whenever I approached the desk to find out if they had any more of her backlist in. Happy day!!!

3. Ridley
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:24:53

I suppose after enduring chemo and recovering from a double mastectomy a tattoo like that would be a mere tickle.

And Gentle Rogue for $3.99? I’m tempted. Such a silly, silly book, but so entertaining.

4. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:26:16

All your Malory are belong to us.

5. erinf1
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:27:14

Yowwzars… While I would love to work my way through Ms. Lindsey’s backlist, and they are basically 1/2 off which is awesome, I can’t justify spending that much money. Any one got a suggestion for the top 5? The “absolutely-must-read-if-you-call-yourself-a-romance-reader” list?

6. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:29:08

@erinf1: A Gentle Rogue for sure.

7. Angela
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:33:32

@erinf1: I was going to ask the same thing. I’ve never read Lindsey…

Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:37:29

My favorites are Savage Thunder and Secret Fire. Both are tremendously politically incorrect. Secret Fire has rape by aphrodisiac.

9. Lada
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:43:07

@erinf1: I second @Gwen Hayes: A Gentle Rogue which is the third in the Mallory family series. The first one is Love Only Once and is good also but my favorite is the forth, The Magic of You. Be ready for some delicious old school romance!

Amazing tattoo. Learn the best things at DA…like what “fap” means!

10. Lada
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:47:35

@Jane: But Lindsey did it so well. I know a lot of people hated Prisoner of My Desire but it was one of my faves because of the forced seduction.

11. DS
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:51:30

I’m not much of a tattoo fan– seen too many bad, saggy and fading ones, but that was awesome.

12. Author on Vacation
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:52:53

Okay, I passed on “Gentle Rogue” years ago, but if Ridley says it’s silly I have to try it out just to experience the silliness for myself.

I’m now the happy owner of four backlist Lindseys.

13. Jia
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:53:37

I know I shouldn’t but I am sorely tempted by all those Johanna Lindsey books! Maybe I can justify it by only buying my favorites…

14. Author on Vacation
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:54:26

@Jane: I remember “Secret Fire.” I may have been too young when I read it because I thought Mitya was a total psycho. Actually, maybe it’s his servants who are psycho?

15. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 10:58:30

Oh…which JL was the one where he didn’t know how to pleasure her? I loved that–we don’t see that very often. Also, I miss the Fabio covers. The new ones are boring.

16. Lisa J
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:02:16

My favorite Lindsey’s are Angel, A Heart So Wild, Say You Love Me, Tender is the Storm, A Man to Call My Own, and You Belong to Me.

Loved the tattoo. I work with a breast cancer survivor and showed her the picture, she also got a tattoo once she was given the all clear, but it is much smaller and on her ankle (a pink ribbon).

17. Ducky
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:03:07

Stares at all those Johanna Lindsey titles. I have never read her. Where should I start?

18. Wahoo Suze
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:22:27

I love Johanna Lindsey. She was one of the first “expensive” romance novels I ever bought for myself. Wikipedia lists all her books in the various optimal reading orders.

When she hits it right, her books are just pure fun. Unless you have a need to read series in order, just start anywhere.

19. Las
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:24:23

I just bought 6 Lindsey’s. I may or may not go back for more. You’re screwing with my budget, Jane.

It’s funny–I’m sure that if I were to read her backlist for the first time today I’d hate all of it. But I can reread them now and fall in love all over again.

20. Roslyn Holcomb
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:31:43

My fave Lindsay is Angel. How can you go wrong with a notorious gunfighter and a pet panther. Alas I already own it in both e and tree. Great sale though. I need to tell my friend Lisa who is a Lindsay stan.

21. Hannah E.
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:34:41

The only Johanna Lindsey novel I’ve read was A Loving Scoundrel. The hero struck me as such a smug, misogynist bastard that I’ve never picked up another of her books. Are her other heroes that bad?

22. Lisa J
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:37:49

@Roslyn Holcomb: “My fave Lindsay is Angel. How can you go wrong with a notorious gunfighter and a pet panther. Alas I already own it in both e and tree.”

AMEN!!

23. Christine
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:45:35

Another vote for Gentle Rogue!

Avoid Paradise Wild at all costs- I remember being horrified reading it back in the day- the “hero” physically abuses the heroine. It’s a horrible book.

24. Janine
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 11:50:55

Johanna Lindsey was the first romance author I ever read. I loved her books back in the day, but they don’t hold up for me anymore. Old favorites included Secret Fire (the one Jane mentioned), Gentle Rogue and Once a Princess. I can’t believe no one has mentioned Once a Princess. But really I loved most of what she wrote in the late eighties and early 1990s. That was when she was at the peak of her game IMO.

I recently found this fan blog dedicated to Lindsey: Johanna Lindsey

You can find her books tagged by character, setting, series reading order and year of publication there.

25. Isobel Carr
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:01:35

@Hannah E.: I’m guessing yes. I only ever read one (Fires of Winter) and it put off the genre for a decade. But I still remember it DISTINCTLY which certainly says something.

26. Kaylea Cross
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:25:52

Oh yes, Gentle Rogue! I cut my romance teeth on Johanna Lindsey’s books. Brings back memories :)

27. Nicole
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:36:42

Oh I LOVE Angel. The pet panther, the notorious gunfighter, how he really just can’t quite resist her…I really do love it. It’s actually probably one of my top fave romances. If only because of how many times I’ve reread it.

28. Gillyweed
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 12:46:29

I second Once A Princess! The hero has a wicked temper, which he’s learned to deal with by channeling his physical rage into lust. The heroine infuriates him, so you can guess where that leads.

Prisoner of My Desire is also one I remember fondly. It has non-consensual sex (the hero is the one who isn’t consenting… well, until he’s “betrayed by his virility”) followed by revenge sex.

29. Jia
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:25:14

Ha! I’m glad other people loved Angel and the pet panther! I wondered if it were just me and my cracked out tendencies. I also really loved Once a Princess too.

30. Tabs
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:35:05

@Gwen Hayes: Defy Not The Heart is the one where the husband goes to the local prostitute for some advice on how to pleasure his wife. Gosh, I love that book.

31. Melissa
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:45:26

@ Tabs,

Don’t forget the farting cat in Defy Not the Heart, love the scene where she accuses the cat of farting in her face on purpose.

32. cleo
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:49:24

There’s a “Johanna Lindsey – Which one First?” discussion at SBTB – http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/johanna-lindsey-which-one-first

And there’s a summary post, listing the top recommendations from the discussion – http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/blog/johanna-lindsey-which-one-first1

33. Las
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 13:51:36

I haven’t read Defy not the Heart–the blurb never interested me. But now I have to read it!

34. Roslyn Holcomb
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 14:55:54

I think Angel has held up surprisingly well. I read it at least once a year and still laugh out loud. As a writer, reading a Lindsay is like going to writer school. When she’s on her game nobody beats her at creating memorable characters. I try to emulate her, but fall far short.

About Angel, I think more than anything I liked the fact that Angel was a real killer, for money, he wasn’t doing it against his will or at the behest of starving orphans. I remember thinking that was hella cool at the time. And, of course, he has one of the funniest lines I’ve ever read from a hero, “That isn’t worth killing anybody over. If it was, I would’ve shot him myself.” That line still makes me giggle.

Oddly enough, I don’t remember Once a Princess and I thought I’d read all the vintage Lindsays. So I guess I’ll get that one.

35. Gwen Hayes
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 14:57:34

@Tabs: Yes thank you! That is the one.

36. Wahoo Suze
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 15:19:19

The other thing I liked about Angel was that he said something to the effect that he’d just about rather die than go back to live all by himself in the mountains (he grew up with a mountain man, and found the lifestyle hideously lonely). There was nothing I didn’t like about that book.

37. azteclady
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 15:25:43

@Roslyn Holcomb: Exactly!

38. Roslyn Holcomb
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 15:48:03

Wahoo Suze, yes! His backstory was absolutely heartbreaking. In a lot of ways he reminds me of another fave hero, Luke Turner of Lisa Gregory’s The Rainbow Season. Totally typicl for the time, and a bit atypical even now. I wanted to name my firstborn Angel, but was talked out of it, so settled for Luke my second fave hero. Of course, both are angels. :)

39. Roslyn Holcomb
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 15:49:01

Of course, I meant atypical. Still can’t type on this damned ipad.

40. Nalini Singh
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 17:33:28

I have to put in a vote for Warrior’s Woman. It was one of the first futuristic stories I ever read and I still love it. It features barbarians, a talking computer called Martha, and is completely awesome.

41. Danielle D
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 17:36:20

WOO HOO!!! I love Johanna Lindsey books — can’t wait till payday! Savage Thunder will never leave my reader!

42. Nicole
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 17:47:40

I really need to reread Angel soon. It’s been a bit since I felt the urge.

43. Loosheesh
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 18:05:42

My sister is in a super-tizzy over the JL sale … I was evil and called her at work to tell her and she was about ready to hyperventilate, lol. I loved her books back in the 90s but I’m not interested in going there again, though I’ll probably get Gentle Rogue, my first JL read.

44. Janine
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 19:03:02

@Roslyn Holcomb: I hope you enjoy Once a Princess! I loved it at the time. It also has a sequel, You Belong to Me.

45. Susan
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 20:09:32

Reader refund? How would that work?

I read a few Lindseys back in the day, but Savage Thunder was the only one I liked enough to remember anything about. For pretty much all of the JLs I read, I thought they ended very abruptly without adequately wrapping things up. As if she just said, “OK, I’m done,” and put the proverbial pen down. But maybe I just like my endings all tidied up and tied with a pretty bow.

Apr 19, 2012 @ 20:20:52

@Susan – I’ve heard (but it’s all been rumors) that readers might get a refund check for any book they paid above $9.99 but that is all speculation.

47. CK
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 21:33:30

I really would be concerned if he was talking about doctors or nuclear physicists or, ya know, whoever is in charge of the Death Star (because you know those Ewoks would have no clue when to push that planet killer button), but publishers who failed to innovate and are now paying for it? Eh, not so much.

48. sao
    Apr 19, 2012 @ 23:32:19

“The fate of an entire industry seems to hang on the fate of every book,” seems to imply that the venerable industry of publishing shouldn’t depend on the popularity of their products. It’s demeaning for such lofty literary types to have to stoop to such crass commercial concerns as publishing books readers want to read at a price they are willing to pay.

49. Lucy Francis
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 00:51:40

Prisoner of My Desire and Warrior’s Woman were my first Lindsey novels. I remember being so shocked the content of POMD…and feeling much more educated when I finished reading. Time to see how much digital backlist I can afford tonight.

50. Rosario
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 01:31:03

Once a Princess and Man of My Dreams were the ones I used to reread over and over. What I remember about them doesn’t make me want to reread them, though!

51. Edward
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 01:51:50

@sao:

+1. Your words are gold.

52. Janet
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 08:12:51

Being put out of business because
    1. People are writing books even though we told them they won’t be successful and we won’t publish them. Then they put those books into the same market as the books we decided should be successful and compete for our buyers.
    2. Retailers sell books other than the ones we give them to sell and they sell them at prices that are below what we think books should be priced at.
    3. People buy books other than the ones we thought should be produced. And price is one factor that the use to make the purchasing decision. Which isn’t fair, since our prices are high.

And catastrophe looms for those “who know what they are doing.”

53. erinf1
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 12:01:24

Thanks guys! LOL… but this kinda backfired on me as there have been a lot of good recommendations. I think I’ll be breaking out the credit card and hiding the statement from the DH.

54. Janine
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 20:07:46

@Rosario: Yeah, Man of My Dreams was another fun one. Hilarious!

55. Aemelia
    Apr 20, 2012 @ 22:06:49

Love, love, LOVE Johanna Lindsey! My top 5 are: DEFY NOT THE HEART, HEARTS AFLAME, BRAVE THE WILD WIND (my first JL), GENTLE ROGUE, and WARRIORS WOMAN.

I would NOT recommend: A PIRATES LOVE–it was just too rapey and they fought the entire book, and JOINING was just boring.