Thursday News: DA offline on Friday, Shakespeare the scientist, art and...

“The genius from Stratford-upon-Avon has worn many hats over the years, with imaginative scholars casting him as a closet Catholic, a mainstream Protestant, an ardent capitalist, a Marxist, a misogynist, a feminist, a homosexual, a legal clerk and a cannabis dealer – yet the words “Shakespeare” and “science” are rarely uttered in the same breath.” The Telegraph

“What is it that an art student is learning when she learns to use her own blindness or ignorance as a tool? That blindness can lead to insight is something I was never taught as a philosophy major, and I suspect I would not have learned it if I’d studied chemistry, history or French either. In medicine, the fledgling doctor needn’t learn how to be a patient. In none of these fields is it normally considered necessary for students to learn by systematically pulling the rug out from under their feet. That risk is peculiar to contemporary art.” The Nation

“Dubbed “sensory fiction”, the idea was developed by Felix Heibeck, Alexis Hope and Julie Legault at MIT’s media lab. The prototype story used was James Tiptree Jr’s Hugo award-winning novella The Girl Who Was Plugged in, in which the protagonist P Burke – who is deformed by pituitary dystrophy and herself experiences life through an avatar – feels “both deep love and ultimate despair, the freedom of Barcelona sunshine and the captivity of a dark damp cellar”, said the researchers.” The Guardian

“B&N has published close to 50 teen and tween exclusives. Extra material is intended to extend the storyline, add insight by providing more details about the backstory, and answer earlier readers’ questions. What’s changed recently is not so much the packaging – the books often resemble the original publications, but with a sticker indicating that they are an “exclusive” – but the way they are published. B&N has begun giving them a full-fledged marketing and publicity campaign in addition to in-store signage and placement.” Publishers Weekly

1. Joy
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 09:33:04

Re: the Shakespeare article–I had Peter Usher, the one who argues “that Hamlet can be read as an allegory of competing cosmological world views” as an astronomy professor. He used to play the bagpipe in class to illustrate Kepler’s Music of the Spheres.

2. library addict
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 09:57:15

I’ve bookmarked a few of today’s links to check out later since I’ll be away from the computer most of today.

Good luck with the testing tomorrow. Fingers crossed for no big glitches. As much as I dislike change I’m looking forward to seeing what the new design is like.

3. JJPP
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 10:58:04

I went to the P&P couples link just to see what you were talking about with the Spider Man gif…. Aaaaaaaaaaah! Freaky! It looks like she’s eating his face!

4. Jules
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 11:21:47

Urg, that gif of Spiderman and Mary Jane….I liked the kiss in the movie but it just looks wrong in gif form.

Good luck with the upgrade! Wishing for all things smooth. I will be working on an upgrade tomorrow as well, just not for a website. Best of luck to both of us :)

5. Liz Mc2
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 12:13:38

Oh Robin, I love that [sic]. Keep fighting the good fight!

“Permission to fail” was really interesting, but I wonder about a philosophy degree that never suggested that insight might come from blindness. I certainly learned as an English student (and tried to pass on to my students) that places where you don’t understand the text and what it’s up to are good sources of productive interpretation. I guess that’s not exactly the same, since you’re supposed to succeed at finding meaning rather than fail, but it’s a similar idea, I think.

6. Lindsay
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 12:20:36

All I can think of when I see that gif is “om nom nom nom”, not the best choice!

Good luck with the website tomorrow, I am excited to see the new changes and hope it doesn’t explode too much (and you don’t get too much CHANGE IT BACK mail). I laughed and laughed during that DBSA podcast where Jane talked about the upcoming overhaul and the quote about “getting the site you deserve, not the one you want”. Rule it from thrones of skulls!

7. Ros
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 12:26:40

Hm. Six couples whose love reminds of Lizzie and Darcy. Well, I suppose they do, insofar as they are all couples. And they all end up in love. But other than that, they seem like a bit of a stretch to me.

8. Robin/Janet
    Jan 30, 2014 @ 23:43:32

@Liz Mc2: Ha! I wondered if anyone would comment on that. ;D

I think you’re on to something re. the question of failure in, well, I’d extend it to more Humanities disciplines, in part because of the focus on critical thinking as a major goal of those disciplines. In that sense, I think he could have drawn on potential strengths in those disciplines to bolster his argument, but I think you’re also right that there is something unique about the fine arts education environment that allowed me to look past that lost opportunity.

@JJPP: I think Lindsay’s “nom nom nom” sound effect is the perfect (albeit somewhat nauseating) accompaniment. Way to may a sexy moment way unsexy.

9. SAO
    Jan 31, 2014 @ 00:15:55

When you make notices of time-based things, can you please put a time and time zone? It’s well into my Friday morning and you’re still up, which makes me suspect you’ll be off-line on Saturday for me.

It would be nice to have a clue, since your Friday and mine obviously differ.

10. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity for hibernating kitties
    Jan 31, 2014 @ 02:02:45

[…] and publishing news from Dear Author. (Dear Author is not going to be available on Friday, January […]