Thursday Midday Links: Penguin engages in library lending pilot program

I find this inspirational.

How has this not been created before? I’ll need to create a form for the DA site. In all fairness, we get very few public butthurt comments anymore.

1. Julie James
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:11:48

Aw, that video really perked up my morning. Thanks for sharing!

2. becca
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:28:19

an excellent letter to the DoJ about the lawsuit, from a consumer’s standpoint:

if the link doesn’t work, it’s here:

he really tears apart the B&N letter, and raises many other excellent points.

3. LG
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:32:52

RE: the Penguin library e-book news – This, from the article, still irks me, though: “The renewable one-year expiration date on e-books, meanwhile, is designed to mimic the natural shelf life of print books.” Just like HarperCollins, Penguin has a completely unreasonable idea of what the shelf life of a print book happens to be. A year? Seriously?

4. Darlynne
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 10:59:57

@LG: I know. I’m reading our library’s copy of Body by Harry Crews, which was first checked out in November of 1991. The shelf-life for this book–slanted spine, wear to extremities, food stains, yellowing pages and all–is well into its 21st year.

How does this industry get to be so incredibly stupid and short-sighted and remain in business? Talk about A Bad Day for Sorry, these folks deserve some of Stella’s whupass.

5. Estara Swanberg
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:36:14

As fitting as that Butthurt form is, it must be quite old – the only named platform is LiveJournal, that should be replaced with Facebook these days.

6. Annemarie
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:54:00

@LG: For a hot new book the waiting list is ridiculous. For one book, I’m #30 on the waiting list.

30 patrons ahead of me x 21 days per patron = 630 days before I can borrow the book.

7. Lynnd
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:06:26

@Darlynne: I’ve read books from my library that are much older than that (and are still in pretty good shape considering the multiple mendings). I have no idea how these companies have survived as long as they have, but I suspect if they don’t change their ways soon, many of them won’t be around in five years.

8. Tellulah Darling
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:18:53

I just wanted to say thanks. While I enjoy all the reviews on this site, I really appreciate the industry info you give us as well. :)

9. PatF
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:28:41

One year shelf life? Really? As a library board trustee, I know just how silly that is. Small town libraries would never survive if they had to replace book stock that often. The general attitude of most publishers regarding library e-book lending programs is ridiculous.

10. Elyssa
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:40:41

That video is amazing.

11. Ros
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:56:40

That video? That’s what I want to see in multicultural romance. With fewer Americans and more Papua New Guineans.

12. library addict
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 13:34:13

Loved the video.

Penguin is nuts if they think paperbacks only last one year, even with heavy library usage. Or is that their goal? Are they thinking the rest of us should also have to buy new copies after one year? Morons! Which I hate to say because so many of my favorite authors write for them. Plus as I don’t live in New York, that means no Penguin library books for me.

13. Brie
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 13:39:43

I have a link to go with that video: http://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/pictures-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity There are lots of people willing to save animals from drowning.

14. Susan
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 16:09:40

@Brie: Between your link and the one Jane posted, I did the happy cry at work today.

15. Lada
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 16:19:07

Penguin’s lending policy gives me butthurt.

Thanks for the antidote in that amazing video, Jane.

16. azteclady
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 16:34:44

Thank you, Jane and Brie–I really, really needed that. Thank you.

17. Darlynne
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 17:27:16

@Susan: Same here. It took me a while to stop blubbering.

18. Author On Vacation
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 18:22:58

Penguin remains on my “no buy” list with the exception of one autobuy author I refuse to do without.

19. Wahoo Suze
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 19:25:16

Video = Happy Day :) Thank you for that.

Re: library. Have any of these purported businesses ever done any actual research? Market research, a study on how library lending leads to sales (or fails to, I guess), a study on how long an average book lasts on a library shelf…

It’s like their business decisions are made by throwing darts at an abstract mural on their office wall, and using a 1950′s Cereal Box Decoder Ring to interpret the results. How hard can it be to hire an intern to make some phone calls and collate the information?

20. Gennita Low
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 19:29:36

Is Matt still doing those amazing “Where is” videos? I remember watching his first one years ago. Youtube was in its infancy then!

21. Gennita Low
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 19:33:41

Just watched it. Matt has gotten better at dancing! Hee. His first one was still the best, though. He just did his thing and everyone stood around and looked on in amusement.

22. Kaetrin
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 21:01:02

Loved the video. thank you :)

23. Rebecca
    Jun 21, 2012 @ 22:55:31

I live in League City, Texas!!!!!

24. Nadia Lee
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 05:28:26

One year shelf life for print books? That’s not the case in general, and I don’t understand where they’re getting this data.

And since most of us agree that print books last longer than 1 year… is this “one year shelf life” the new production quality goal of big publishers these days?

25. LG
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 07:06:35

@Nadia Lee: They don’t have a high opinion of the quality of their print books, do they? Plus, as library addict mentioned, there’s that worrisome thought that publishers might start expecting individuals to buy new copies of their e-books every year. I’m sure it’s only the thought of the customer outrage they’d invite that keeps them from building some kind of timed locking feature into their DRM.

26. Julia
    Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:37:09

That video made my day when I saw it. Especially the part in Kyoto since I was just there. I didn’t dance there but I did run through the torii…

27. Allie
    Jun 23, 2012 @ 23:07:00

If we have world peace, it will be because of Matt. What a fabulous person.