Thursday Midday Links: LinkedIn passwords hacked, HBO direct to consumer not...

Deals

• The Last Chance Texaco by Brent Hartinger * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • You Are Next by Katia Lief * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane) by Elizabeth Hoyt * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • His Stolen Bride by Judith Stanton * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Umbrella Summer by Lisa Graff * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Bride Hunt by Margo Maguire * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball by Olivia Parker * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Kissing the Bride (Medieval) by Sara Bennett * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Walk Two Moons (Trophy Newbery) by Sharon Creech * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Secrets of a Scandalous Bride by Sophia Nash * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Life After Yes: A Novel by Aidan Donnelley Rowley * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Blackout (Warner Forever) by Annie Solomon * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Map of True Places by Brunonia Barry * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • My Favorite Bride (The Governess Brides) by Christina Dodd * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Breakdown Lane by Jacquelyn Mitchard * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Financial Lives of the Poets (P.S.) by Jess Walter * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Lady of Seduction (Daughters of Erin) by Laurel McKee * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Mail-Order Bride (His Unexpected Wife) by Maureen McKade * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Outlaw’s Bride by Maureen McKade * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Brains: A Zombie Memoir by Robin Becker * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Prince’s Bride by Victoria Alexander * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Substance of Style (P.S.) by Virginia Postrel * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • City of Veils: A Novel (Katya Hijazi) by Zoe Ferraris * $2.99 * AMZ | BN | K | S

1. becca
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 11:11:18

I’m surprised that more of the really big name authors (like Nora Roberts) haven’t gone indy. they’ve got the name recognition, they don’t need the agents and publishers any more.

2. Moriah Jovan
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 12:04:12

@becca: They have no need to. Ms Roberts is on record as stating she has no interest in doing so (I remember because she was responding directly to me or at least, to my suggestion of that very same thing, a couple of years ago).

3. Ren
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 12:39:23

@becca: Nora Roberts doesn’t get 6% royalties and less than $5000 advances, and whatever she does get, her publisher would throw more at her to keep her in the fold because she’s worth a thousand midlist authors to their bottom line. Her incentive to learn an entirely new business model at this stage of her career is pretty low.

4. Isobel Carr
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 12:41:15

Big authors who have “the machine” behind them and WIDE print distriubution could, like HBO in the story above, lose out going indy. Plus, if they’re making a good living, there might simmply be no motivation for change.

5. Darlene Marshall
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 14:34:03

I’ve been a loyal Sony Pocket (PRS 350) user for a few years now, but I always hated having to use their software for the Reader Store. I was sure they’d be out of the game and my next ereader would be a Nook or Kindle, but this may help them stay around for a while.

6. Evangeline Holland
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 15:56:12

I noticed Sony’s browser-based site last night when purchasing Carrie Lofty’s novella. All I can do is say finally! Now Sony, let’s work on your pricing and getting indie books added to the catalogue quicker.

7. Jinni
    Jun 07, 2012 @ 20:39:16

Am I so old, that I’m one of the few that remember HBO as a stand alone service. My friend’s parents had it in the late 1970s. All was better then.