Thursday Midday Links: eBooks 20% of the Market?

Barnes & Noble reports that the majority of its ebook sales are agency priced books (which feeds nicely into my Sunday article about how the biggest winner of agency pricing was BN).   BN announced its quarterly results two days ago.  Total sales are up 2% to $1.4billion, driven by large increases at bn.com as a result of nook color and nook touch and “a quadrupling of digital content sales over last year’s first quarter.”  In store sales decreased 3% for the year, particularly for books whereas in store sales of the Nook and toys and games are increasing.  It’s selfpublishing section PubIT! is also experiencing strong growth.  To wit: BN’s book orders from publishers will not be increasing in the near future.  Source: Market Watch

****

Amazon moves:

****
BISG came out with a new study about reading behavior. You can read some of the tweets by BISG here. Of interest:
  • 3 most popular channels for mass market paperbacks are supermarkets, Wal-Mart & independent bookstores
  •  Amazon readers’ preferred e-tailer increasing mkt share to 71.5% from 60.5% last yr
****
Random House’s digital revenue was 20% of overall sales for the first half of 2011 (source) and that figure is true for Hachette as well (source).
****
Sony debuted a new eink reader.  It’s cheaper ($149) and has wifi and direct access to participating public libraries.  I would have been excited if this was released in 2010 but in 2011, I think Sony has to come up with something more enticing than this.  It’s still the most expensive wifi device on the market with no web based store and the highest prices.
*****
You really need to watch this video. It only takes seconds. I watched it three times in a row.  Are you back? Good, now recommend a firefighter story for me.

1. helen
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 12:12:39

Damn that firefighter exam was awesome, the guy in front just flys around the ladder. Amazing.

2. Shelley
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 12:35:08

I had to smile, as a writer, at that phrase: “you can now bother authors”! :)

3. Christine M.
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 12:50:17

Couldn’t access the links but I just looked up the Sony Reader and I want one. NAO. (I’m don’t live in the US so I can’t be bothere with the Kindle or the nook and I don’t find the Kobo attractive). Plus, I just love its price (and I don’t even care all that much for the wifi–I’ll just get even more lazy). This will definitely be on my Christmas list as a replacement for my Reader 600!

4. carmen webster buxton
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 13:11:53

Most Nook books are agency priced? Well, since the Big 6 are the ones who use agency pricing, isn’t that kind of like saying “Sears sold more tools than Mack’s Hardware Store”? We call them the Big 6 because they are big!

5. library addict
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 13:37:53

I love my Sony 650, so the wifi isn’t enough of a change for me to get a new reader as that’s not a feature I care about.

PDF is the worst format out there. I mean, it’s okay for reading in the PC, but it converts the worst and doesn’t resize well on smaller screens. Why would Amazon want their own version? As a reader I want less DRM and a universal format not more.

6. Carin
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 13:55:08

@Christine M and @library addict (and any other Sony users). Do you have problems with loading speed on your readers? I have a Sony Pocket which I love EXCEPT for the fact that now that I have 90 books on it, it just moves terribly slow.

Inside a book is not a problem, but moving to the home page or to a collection – seriously that is 5-10 seconds, which is just long enough for me to think I didn’t REALLY push the button, so I push it again, and 5-10 seconds later it takes me past the menu I wanted to be in.

I was fine with that until I used Bluefire reader on an iPad. Now I’m frustrated with the Sony. Do you have this problem or is it a pocket thing? I don’t know anyone else who owns a Sony to ask.

7. Eve Langlais
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 14:10:34

@Carin, I had to ditch my Sony because it got too slow and started misbehaving. I tried deleting books and moving them to a sd card but it still sucked. I got a XOOM tablet and love it for reading. I buy from any store now in any format no problem :-)

8. Lisa J
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 14:11:51

I’m definitely interested in the new Sony. The wifi isn’t important to me, so that’s not really a big deal. I really wanted a 650, but the price held me back. $149 for a reader is okay by me.

My uncle bought an e-reader thinking the cost of e-books would be the same or lower than paper books. He was very disappointed when he found it wasn’t the case (although I discussed agency pricing with him, he said he thought it was only romance books affected). He told me he pays the higher price for e-books because he is already out for the cost of the reader and he doesn’t want to leave it sitting in the box. This could be one reason BN is selling more agency books.

9. Silver James
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 14:35:46

And people wondered why I never minded those 24-hour shifts at the firehouse. ;)

Jane, there should be more romances with firefighters but sadly, the only one in my collection is a Harlequin Blaze by Jill Shalvis: Flashpoint.

10. library addict
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 14:50:26

@Carin: I have 769 books on my Sony. Other than taking about a minute when I first load new books to come up, I have no problems with slow loading times.

It takes a few seconds usually for the unit to go to the home page or bring up the table of contents. If I’m taking a lot of notes that can go a tad slower to bring up the create new page. But it’s nothing that’s frustrating slow like the old days of dial up or anything. Maybe I just don’t notice because I’m used to it.

My cousin has a Kindle and it didn’t seem to go any faster when I looked at it.

11. Darlene Marshall
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 16:36:07

Whoa! Now I’m on fire! Thank for sharing. Regarding the Sony eReader, I’m going to hold on to my PRS 350 for now. Wireless is not yet a dealbreaker for me, but I do like the Sony product.

12. Carin
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:02:57

Thanks to everyone weighing in on the Sony slow loading issue. I wonder if it’s more of a Sony Pocket issue. I may go do some google-fu and see what I can find.

It doesn’t bother me not to have wifi with the Sony, but it takes over 5 minutes for mine to load up once I unplug it from the computer after loading books on it. That’s frustrating when I hooked it up to get the new book I bought and want to read NOW.

13. Christine M.
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:12:26

@Carin: Sorry I was commuting. But no, I don’t have these sorts of issues with my Sony.

2 ideas:
    A) Did you try doing a hard reset on the reader?
    B) Is the Sony Library software installed? (if so, please, please, pleaaaase, uninstall it, never touch it again and use Calibre instead.)

14. Estara
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:21:51

Jane, Kathryn Shay has a Firefighter romance (which was part of a free sale at Smashwords a while back so I have it downloaded) I haven’t read it yet, though. It’s the first in a Firefighter trilogy previously published by Berkley
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/25806 – After the Fire

Here’s the Kindle link

15. Becca
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:33:23

as for fire fighters, what about Nora Roberts’ Blue Smoke?

16. ShellBell
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:39:55

I’ve only read 2 firefighter stories – Hot Head (m/m) by Damon Suede and Brotherhood of Fire (menage) by Elizabeth Moore.

17. brooksee
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 17:56:06

As much as I like my current Sony reader, I’m tempted by the new reader. From what I’ve read about it, it can wirelessly download ebooks from the library and also wirelessly download non-DRM’d ebooks from other places.

18. barbie pomales
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 20:45:01

Firefigher books? Smoke screen Sandra Brown, Sparks by vicki lewis thompson Contemporary Romance – Romantic Suspense

Combustion by Denise A. Agnew (12/03) — Injured smoke jumper Autumn MacAllister returns to her Montana hometown and reconnects with firefighter Jack Dillon, a boy she tutored when they were in school. Both of their parents have since died in the same fire and there is an arsonist angle.

Hot Shots Trilogy by Bella Andre – RS
    1. Wild Heat (5/09)
    2. Hot as Sin (11/09)
    3. Never Too Hot (6/10)

Seducing Simon by Maya Banks (10/ 06) — CR

Newpointe 911 Inspirational Series by Terri Blackstock — RS
    1. Private Justice (4/98)
    2. Shadow of Doubt (10/98)
    3. Word of Honor (10/99)
    4. Trial by Fire (10/00)
    5. Line of Duty (10/03)

Smoke Screen by Sandra Brown (8/08) — RS

The Hot Line by Cathryn Cox (3/08) — Erotic CR — Chicago’s Firestation 419 has set up The Hot Line, a service to fulfill women’s fantasies when they call.

The Firefighters of Station Five by Jo Davis — RS
    1. Trial By Fire (8/08)
    2. Under Fire (5/09)
    3. Hidden Fire (12/09)
    4. Line of Fire (5/10)
    5. Ride the Fire (12/10)

Body Heat by Katherine Garbera (3/06) — CR

Sex With A Stranger by Katherine Garbera (9/07) — CR

The Protector by Dee Henderson (10/01) — RS

Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins (8/08) — CR — Hero, Trevor is a firefighter.

Leaving Normal by Stef Ann Holm (10/05) — CR

What Looks Like Crazy by Charlotte Hughes (1/08) — CR — Psychologist Kate Holly is divorcing Jay, her gorgeous firefighter husband.

In a Heartbeat Inspirational Series by Sally John — CR
    1. In a Heartbeat (1/04) — (tearjerker)
    2. Flashpoint (7/04)
    3. Moment of Truth (2/05)

Hot in Here by Susan Lyons (8/06) — Erotic CR — Freelance journalist Jenny Yuen meets firefighter Scott Jackman when she covers a Fireman’s Calendar Model Contest shoot where he’s reluctantly entered being the new guy at the firehouse. Location is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Flying Embers by James H. Pasternak (6/06) — CR

2. On the Line by Kathryn Shay (7/04) — CR
    3. Nothing More to Lose by Kathryn Shay (2/05) — CR

Fade the Heat by Colleen Thompson (12/05) — RS

Come Morning by Pat Warren (3/98) — CR

Just Breathe by Susan Wiggs (9/08) — CR

Series/Category

Informed Risk by Robyn Carr (SSE 517 – 4/89 – Reissued: 4/10)

Duty To Protect by Beth Cornelison (SIM 1522 – 7/08) — Firefighter Riley Sinclair saves crisis counselor Ginny West from a burning building and a stalker.

The Hot Zone Series by Debra Cowan — RS
    1. Melting Point (SIM 1370 – 6/05)
    2. Wild Fire (SIM 1406 – 2/06)
    3. The Private Bodyguard (SIM 1593 – 1/10)
    4. The Vigilante Lover (SIM 1598 – 2/10)
    5. The Forbidden Bride (SIM 1602 – 3/10)

The Family Man by Melinda Curtis (HSR 12 41 – 11/04) — hero is a wildland firefighter.

Getting Married Again by Melinda Curtis (HSR 1187 – 2/04) — hero is a Hot Shot, fights forest fires.

Expectant Father by Melinda Curtis (HSR 1301 – 9/05) — The father/hero is a Hot Shot firefighter, heroine is a Fire Behavior Analyst, she predicts which way the fire will move and how fast. She is 8 years older than the hero. She wanted a baby so while at the working convention in Las Vega she found a good looking firefighter and seduced him. Now 7 months later he sees her again; a very pregnant one night stand.

Gold in the Fire by Margaret Daley (LI 273 – 10/04 – Reissued 2-in-1: 3/10) [The Ladies of Sweetwater Lake - 1]
    Light in the Storm by Margaret Daley (LI 297 – 4/05 – Reissued 2-in-1: 3/10) [The Ladies of Sweetwater Lake - 3]

The Firefighter’s Secret Baby by Anna DeStefano (HSR 1630 – 4/10)

Five-Alarm Affair by Marie Ferrarella (SR 613 – 11/88) Reissued: Men in Uniform (3/10) — Wayne Montgomery looked every inch the knight in shining armor. And when the heroic fireman attacked the inferno in Aimee Greer’s kitchen, he found his damsel in distress.

Mr. November by Lori Foster (HT 856 – 11/01) [Men to the Rescue Series - 5] — Josh Marshall, firefighter, is being pursued to pose on a fund-raising calendar.

»» Trapped! by Lori Foster (5/03) — (A) Men of Courage (5/03) — Fireman Ethan Winters runs headlong into a burning building to find Rosie Carrington.

The Firefighter’s Fiancé by Kate Hardy (HM 272 – 9/06) — Kelsey Watson, heroine, is a firefighter.

The Texas Firefighters by Amy Knupp
    1. Playing With Fire (HSR 1646 – 7/10)
    2. A Little Consequence (HSR 1652 – 8/10)
    3. Fully Involved (HSR 1658 – 9/10)

Valentine’s Fortune by Allison Leigh (SSE 1951 – 2/09) — Firefighter Darr Fortune pulls a pregnant and on-the-run Bethany Burdett from a blazing restaurant.

Men of Station Six by Charlotte Maclay
    1. Bold and Brave-Hearted (HAR 886 – 8/01)
    2. With Valor and Devotion (HAR 890 – 9/01)
    3. Between Honor and Duty (HAR 894 – 10/01)
    4. With Courage and Commitment (HAR 915 – 3/02)

Rhys’s Redemption by Anne McAllister (HP 2126 – 8/00) — Rhy Wolfe is a firefighting specialist, haunted by the death of his pregnant wife. Now turns his back on his best friend and neighbor who is pregnant with their child.
    Too Near the Fire by Lindsay McKenna (SD 165 – 10/84)

Firefighter Daddy by Lee McKenzie (HAR 1316 – 7/10)

A Firefighter in the Family by Trish Milburn (HAR 1228 – 9/08)

Smoke Screen by Stephanie Newton (LIS 181 – 1/10)

Firebrand by Paula Detmer Riggs (SIM 481 – 3/93)

Fatal Burn by Roxanne Rustand (LIS 183 – 2/10)

American Heroes: The Firefighters Series by Jill Shalvis
    1. Flashpoint (HBZ 410 – 7/08)
    2. Flashback (HBZ 416 – 8/08)
    3. »» All She Wants for Christmas — (A) Heating Up the Holidays (HBZ 435 – 12/08 )

America’s Bravest Series by Kathryn Shay
    1. Feel the Heat (HSR 871 – 11/99)
    2. The Man Who Loved Christmas (HSR 877 – 12/99)
    3. Code of Honor (HSR 882 – 1/00)
    4. The Fire Within (HSR 1018 – 10/01)

The Firefighter’s Chosen Bride by Trish Wylie (HPS – 8/07)

Anthology Stories:

(A) The Firefighter (2/07) (Club Fantasy) — Erotica
    »» Hot Down Under by Susan Lyons (2/07) — (A) The Firefighter (2/07)
    »» All Fired Up by P.J. Mellor (2/07) — (A) The Firefighter (2/07)
    »» Fighting Fire by Alyssa Brooks (2/07) — (A) The Firefighter (2/07)

(A) Heating Up the Holidays (HBZ 435 – 12/08)
    »» All She Wants for Christmas by Jill Shalvis (HBZ 435 – 12/08) [American Heroes - 3] — (A) Heating Up the Holidays (HBZ 435 – 12/08)
    »» My Grown-up Christmas List by Jacquie D’Alessandro (HBZ 435 – 12/08) — (A) Heating Up the Holidays (HBZ 435 – 12/08)
    »» Up On the Housetop by Jamie Sobrato (HBZ 435 – 12/08) — (A) Heating Up the Holidays (HBZ 435 – 12/08)

Mainstream – Suspense – Thriller – Fiction

Wild Inferno by Sandi Ault (2/08) [Jamaica Wild Mystery Series - 2] — New Mexico Bureau of Land Management Agent Jamaica Wild investigates a murder discovered during a wildfire on the Southern Ute Reservation. Wildfire fighters are a big presence in the story.

Vertical Burn by Earl Emerson (5/02) — Firefighter John Finney investigates the arson of a skyscraper and finds himself at odds with others in his company.

Into the Inferno by Earl Emerson (3/03) — Fire Chief Jim Swopes racing to find the antidote to a poison chemical that has already killed his fellow firefighters who were on the highway crash scene.

Pyro by Earl Emerson (8/04) — A maverick fire department lieutenant finds himself fighting fires in Seattle set by the arsonist who killed his father 25 years earlier.

The Smoke Room by Earl Emerson (5/05) — Jason Gum, 24-year-old rookie firefighter, misses a fire call and that sets him on a downward spiral.

Firetrap by Earl Emerson (5/06) — 1st Person POV of African American firefighter Captain Trey Brown is tasked with investigating a fire that’s sparked citywide riots.

Primal Threat by Earl Emerson (2/08) — Five mountain bikers (bicyclists), three of whom are firefighters, on a weekend trip to traverse the Cascade Mountains in western Washington. Another group seeking vengeance and approaching wildfires builds the suspense.

Through the Fire by Shawn Grady (7/09) — Firefighter Aidan O’Neill has a sixth sense about fire and often takes dangerous risks.

Fireproof by Eric Wilson, Alex Kendrick, and Stephen Kendrick (9/08) — Christian Fiction — Novelization of the movie.

Too Near the Fire – Lindsey McKenna SD# 165

Firebrand by Paula Detmer Riggs
    e Firefighter’s Chosen Bride – Trish Wylie

In a Heartbeat Inspirational Series by Sally John
    1. In a Heartbeat by Sally John (1/04) — CR (tearjerker)
    2. Flashpoint by Sally John (7/04) — CR
    3. Moment of Truth (2/05) — CR

Newpointe 911 Inspirational Series by Terri Blackstock
    1. Private Justice by Terri Blackstock (4/98 ) — RS
    2. Shadow of Doubt by Terri Blackstock (10/98 ) — RS
    3. Word of Honor by Terri Blackstock (10/99) — RS
    4. Trial by Fire by Terri Blackstock (10/00) — RS
    5. Line of Duty by Terri Blackstock (10/03) — RS

American Heroes: The Firefighters Series by Jill Shalvis
    1. Flashpoint by Jill Shalvis (HBZ 410 – 7/08 )
    2. Flashback by Jill Shalvis (HBZ 416 – 8/08 )

Just One of the Guys by Kristan Higgins
    The Hot Line by Cathryn Cox (3/08 ) — Erotic CR — Chicago’s Firestation 419 has set up The Hot Line, a service to fulfill women’s fantasies when they call.

The Firefighter’s Fiancée by Kate Hardy (HM 272 – 9/06) — Kelsey Watson, heroine, is a firefighter.

he Firefighters of Station Five by Jo Davis
    1. Trial By Fire (8/08 )
    2. Under Fire (5/09)
    3. Hidden Fire (12/09)

Seducing Simon by Maya Banks

Rhys’s Redemption by Anne McAllister

Mainstream – Suspense – Thriller – Fiction

Primal Threat by Earl Emerson (2/08 ) — Five mountain bikers (bicyclists), three of whom are firefighters, on a weekend trip to traverse the Cascade Mountains in western Washington. Another group seeking vengeance and approaching wildfires builds the suspense.
    The Texas Firefighters by Amy Knupp
    1. Playing With Fire (HSR 1646 – 7/10)
    2. A Little Consequence (HSR 1652 – 8/10)
    3. Fully Involved (HSR 1658 – 9/10)

Men of Station Six by Charlotte Maclay
    1. Bold and Brave-Hearted (HAR 886 – 8/01)
    2. With Valor and Devotion (HAR 890 – 9/01)
    3. Between Honor and Duty (HAR 894 – 10/01)
    4. With Courage and Commitment (HAR 915 – 3/02)

Mainstream Suspense

Through the Fire by Shawn Grady (7/09)
    Firefighting burns in Aidan O’Neill’s blood. The son of a fireman, O’Neill has a sixth sense about fire and often takes dangerous risks. When one act of disobedience nearly gets a rookie killed, O’Neill is suspended. His weeks off are supposed to be a time to reflect but instead he escapes to Mexico, where another rash act of bravery actually kills him. But only for a few minutes.

Called back to Reno, he’s now haunted by visions of hell and paralyzed in the face of fire. And at the worst time, because an arsonist is targeting Reno. With a growing love interest with one of the investigators complicating everything, Aidan must discover where his trust rests as the fires creep ever closer.

19. Carin
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 21:00:15

@Christina M – I’d thought about a hard reset, but since I’m NOT using Calibre right now getting my books back on and into collections again would be a major pain.

I used Calibre in the past but I’m only beginner/immediate level computer savy and getting it set up was a challenge. Then I’d only use it every week or two and it made me want to pull my hair out trying to remember where to save files. Calibre and Sony also seemed to fight over who was in charge of my reader. So I finally just stopped using Calibre and worked with the Sony software.

My fall to-do list includes giving Calibre another try. Do you really think Calibre on the computer would make the reader run faster? Ugh. I hate having to work this hard to make my technology work. And I also think this is why the Kindle is so popular – ease of use.

20. Christine M.
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 21:53:20

@Carin: All I can tell you is that the Sony Library software was giving me a headache and once I set up Calibre and uninstalled the Library, my computer stopped lagging (I am not even kidding you).

If I’m not mistaken if you plud you Sony Ready and open Calibre, you could, say, copy your books from your reader to your computer (through Calibre) and then do a hard reset/wipe out your reader. My books are DRM free however, so I don’t know how this would apply to DRMed books.

Calibre is, IMO, very easy to use and customisable. I think I used the conversion and collections functions the most, as well as the option to look for the book data on the internet to have it all set and clean.

I’d say it’s worth a try, especially since Jane did quite a few great tutorials on DA about the Calibre functions. And if you can/do back up all your books, I would really suggest (I know, I’m pestering you) to return the Reader to its factory settings. /2 cents

21. Kaetrin
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 22:07:06

I have a Sony 650 and I don’t have any problems with slow loading. The old 700 took about 5 minutes to load after I’d disconnected from the PC but the newer 650 is like, less than a minute. The only problem I have with my Sony is that from time to time when I’m writing notes, it craps itself and freezes and then I have do stick a dohicky in the reset button and re-open the thing. It doesn’t lose any books but it does lose the notes I was in the middle of. No too big a deal and it doesn’t happen all that often – maybe once or twice a month – if it was every day I’d be tearing my hair out.

I’ve just learned how to strip DRM from kindle books and load them onto my Sony (via Calibre and then convert to epub) and we have an iPad now, so I’ve started buying a few kindle books where they are a good deal. I do like how the books download directly to the iPad but as I strip the DRM off everything that goes onto my Sony, I’m not sure that the wi-fi thing is a big deal for me – I think I’d lose track of what copy is where. It’s not really a big deal to me to load via my PC and if I’m desperate, I can read a book on my phone or on the iPad now. I much prefer the eInk screen though.

@ Carin – I’d recommend re-trying Calibre – it might not fix your loading issue (my 700 still was slow even with Calibre) but the interface is much easier.

22. Ridley
    Sep 01, 2011 @ 22:29:35

I want the new Sony reader SO BAD. The multitouch capabilities with the eink screen and the whispers of it being Android-based prompt a total squee from me. And if it lets me tag/organize books on the device through the device, I’m gonna need clean pants.

23. Roxie
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 00:56:31

@Carin: It’s not just you. My PRS 300 was terribly slow. Loading books took about 5-6 minutes, and occasionally the thing would just freeze, meaning I’d have to restart it, after which it took forever to get back to my book. I used Calibre for the most part, but every now and then I’d buy books from the Sony store and it was easier to just use their software. The refresh rate was terrible.

I got a Kindle for my birthday, and the comparison between the two is ridiculous. I won’t be going to back to Sony unless they really get their butts in gear.

24. Stumbling Over Chaos :: Linkity on a lark
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 02:02:55

[...] Author and publisher news from Dear Author. [...]

25. Carin
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 07:36:18

OK, so I will schedule a day when the kids are at school and I have nothing else to do to switch over to Calibre and see if that helps. And even if it doesn’t help, I’ll have a better organized book library using Calibre. Thank you all!

And, Roxie, YES. That’s exactly how it went for me in the beginning. I set up Calibre, but I’d still buy from the Sony store, because that part at least was convenient, and I’d use their software to do that and… it just turned out to be easier to use only Sony if I was going to buy from them.

Sep 02, 2011 @ 08:12:00

@barbie pomales: That is some list barbie. I am going to have to make your comment a post itself.

27. Estara
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 08:59:26

@barbie pomales: I take it you have an interest in firefighter romance? *grin*

Kudos!

28. MaryK
    Sep 02, 2011 @ 12:50:32

@Kaetrin:

Yeah, that’s me. I have an older Sony and really want a Kindle because it’s shiny and magic. But it’s not practical since I’d still buy from my computer, strip right away, and side load anyway.

29. SAO
    Sep 03, 2011 @ 01:52:19

This is why I don’t have a reader. The last thing I want to do is waste my time manipulating files. Strip off DRM and sideload? I think I’d just pay the publisher and then download from a pirate site. Sounds faster and easier.

30. Christine M.
    Sep 03, 2011 @ 07:35:42

@SAO: Even if you were to download a file from a non legal source, you’d still have to sideload your book. Seriously, this isn’t any more complicated then putting music on a mp3 player. I just don’t get why people think it’s such a hassle/so complicated.

And if you don’t want to manipulate files, you can just buy DRM-free files to begin with. ;)

31. MaryK
    Sep 03, 2011 @ 10:01:38

@SAO: You don’t have to strip them. And if you use a Kindle or just a Kindle app it really is almost instant. You buy it and it appears on your device.

32. MaryK
    Sep 03, 2011 @ 10:48:24

Sorry about that. On my iPod and it said my comment didn’t post.

Sep 03, 2011 @ 11:00:53

Sorry Mary, our plugin is kind of wacky right now. I’ll look at that this weekend.

34. Darlynne
    Sep 04, 2011 @ 17:08:34

@barbie pomales: You made my eyes bug out of my head, in a good, yet still unattractive way. Nice work on that list, however you did it.

I’ve just put Shawn Grady’s book on hold at the library because there aren’t many books that take place in Reno and some very good friends are firefighters here. Can’t wait to try it and others. Thanks for the information.

35. Fiona McGier
    Sep 05, 2011 @ 23:06:03

One of my books has a p/t firefighter hero: Love Therapy. I’d love to be added to Barbie’s list!

36. Joy
    Sep 06, 2011 @ 16:42:17

I sooo want the new Sony! I replaced my lost 505 with the 600 and have been living with the glare for two years.