Thursday Midday Links: Everything on the web is free says...

Lots of news today so my summaries will be very short. First off with the sad news. Eva Ibbotson passed away last week.   Ibbotson is best know for her YA books.   Her books are favorites of Janine.

She was shortlisted for the Carnegie medal for Which Witch? the story of a wizard looking for a wife, while Dial-a-Ghost describes how Fulton Snodde-Brittle comes unstuck when he tries to hire some “frightful and dangerous ghosts” to scare his young nephew to death. The Secret of Platform 13 features a mysterious platform at King’s Cross station that leads to another, magical world. Published in 1994, three years before JK Rowling’s Harry Potter set off for Hogwart’s from King’s Cross’s platform 9 ¾, the book’s possible influence on Rowling has occasionally been raised, though never by Ibbotson herself.

*****

In other sad but stupid news is that Cook’s Source, a supposedly venerable magazine of cooking, lifted a blogger’s article and reprinted it in their magazine without her permission. When the blogger found out, she wrote the magazine asking for a public apology and small donation to Columbia University. An editor from Cook’s Source responded with this:

But honestly Monica, the web is considered “public domain” and you should be happy we just didn’t “lift” your whole article and put someone else’s name on it! It happens a lot, clearly more than you are aware of, especially on college campuses, and the workplace. If you took offence and are unhappy, I am sorry, but you as a professional should know that the article we used written by you was in very bad need of editing, and is much better now than was originally. Now it will work well for your portfolio. For that reason, I have a bit of a difficult time with your requests for monetary gain, albeit for such a fine (and very wealthy!) institution. We put some time into rewrites, you should compensate me! I never charge young writers for advice or rewriting poorly written pieces, and have many who write for me… ALWAYS for free!”

Read more here and the original blogger’s story here.   I don’t know if I have read a more astonishing response.   You should be grateful we took your work without your permission because it sucked before and now it’s awesome?   Cook’s Source isn’t fairing well over at it’s facebook page.

*****

One writer for the Guardian is speculating that giving away the digital book for free may both feed pre paper book sales buzz and foster an entitlement of free culture.   I’ve long advocated for a digital early program by publishers.   Harlequin does this with its series categories and I suspect it does this because a) the series books are often available in retail locations before the onsale date of the 1st of the month and are mailed to direct customers early and b) early digital sales might foster some word of mouth for books that have a very short shelf life.

It is also a good way to get consumers to buy direct from Harlequin versus a third party retailer.   I struggle with this quite a bit.   In fact, I pay a premium by having my HP subscription with Harlequin. I get 8 titles for under $25 and delivered one month earlier.   If I could wait one month, I could get the entire set from Amazon for $9.99.   Simon & Schuster used to have one or two titles for sale early but again, you had to buy it direct from the site.   I think that you could definitely charge readers for early access and still get that pre print sale buzz.

*****

People in Australia have something to be a little happier about.   Apple’s iBookstore is offering pay for local content. I don’t know if this content duplicates what Kobo and Kindle offer to Australian customers or it offers something new. Of course, everything is according to “Agency” pricing:

Among the first group of six Australian publishers making their titles available through the store  is Hachette Australia, which has not previously sold ebooks on any platform in Australia. Hachette Australia managing director Malcolm Edwards told the  Weekly Book Newsletter the company had made its titles available to Apple through "an agency model', and said around 100 Hachette titles would soon be available on the store.

*****

In an interview with likesbooks.com, Lisa Kleypas reveals that nothing is coming out in 2011 which sounds like her contemporary series is being pushed back to begin publication in 2012.   Given that she is publishing in hardcover for these contemporaries, I can’t foresee a back to back to back release of those books either.

What will readers see in the year ahead?

Since I decided to take a break, 2011 is going to be a quiet year for me. Nothing scheduled-’I'll just be working. And of course I'll be checking AAR to find out about the great new romances coming out every month!

*****

In possibly the worst press release of the year (based on readability and grammatical correctness), Barnes & Noble is pushing its in store freebies for nook readers. The freebies appear to be original essays rather than original fiction.   Will that drive you to the store? I’m guessing no, but some of the freebies that may be of interest to the readers include:

• How Not to Look Like a Frump, Tart or Freak by Clinton Kelly Whatever your style, Clinton Kelly can help. The author and host of TLC's What Not to Wear shares fashion advice and words of wisdom, exclusively for NOOK owners.
  • Read Pink! by Eloisa James This fall, a group of romance authors have banded together with their publisher, Penguin Books, to help promote breast cancer awareness. Join New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James as she discusses the great strength and humor displayed by the heroines written by these queens of romance.

*****

Sarah Weinman discusses some possibilities as to why News Corp is burying the financial details of HarperCollins last quarter.   Weinman notes that whatever the reason, NewsCorp. is treating HarperCollins like an afterthought and maybe this signals Rupert Murdoch’s desire to put HarperCollins on the sale block.

*****

Finally, lostbooksales.com is up and running. Here you can enter information for each book you wanted to buy but couldn’t because of any reason: price, availability, regional restrictions, etc. You can also provide links to places that provide books without restrictions. Thanks to Suze for the grand idea. I knew that international issues were a big deal because I receive emails from readers about it regularly. But I don’t think I truly understood the scope until people like Sarah Tanner started entering titles of books that are not available to her. It makes me feel guilty at my own good circumstance and upset on behalf of the readers who aren’t as fortunate.

1. Elyssa Papa
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:14:41

Bad form on Cook’s Source.

I also have a major sadface that Lisa Kleypas has no new books in 2011. I am such a fan of her books. But maybe that means three books in 2012?

2. Mireya
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:31:24

I have one question, if the author name was provided with the article they used without permission, is it plagiarizing? I’d say there was copyright infringement because of the lack of the author’s permission to use the piece, but is it actually plagiarizing?

Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:34:56

@Mireya: You are absolutely right. I don’t know what I was thinking. It is copyright infringement and not plagiarism.

4. Ros
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:40:46

Great job on lostbooks.com Is there any way to search the site by reason for lost sale and/or region? I’d love to be able to get a sense of which regions are most badly affected by geographical restrictions.

5. Isobel Carr
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:40:49

But honestly Monica, the web is considered “public domain” and you should be happy we just didn't “lift” your whole article and put someone else's name on it!

Really? He's defending copyright infringement by telling her she's lucky they didn't just plagiarize her? I think this moron is about to have his @ss handed to him (hopefully along with a pink slip).

6. Tweets that mention NewPost: Thursday Midday Links: Be Grateful You are Plagiarized -- Topsy.com
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:42:54

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mfmakichen, Andrea deSherbinin, Robin L., ms bookjunkie, Kimberley Nash and others. Kimberley Nash said: Say thank you for being mugged, too RT @dearauthor NewPost: Thursday Midday Links: Be Grateful You are Plagiarized http://bit.ly/csfbK5 [...]

7. Janine
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 11:49:30

Just to add more about Eva Ibbotson. It is absolutely true that she is best known for her YA fiction but my favorite of her books were those originally written for adults: The Reluctant Heiress (originally published as Magic Flutes), A Countess Below Stairs, A Company of Swans, The Morning Gift and my favorite of all, Madensky Square. Madensky Square does not have a traditional HEA, but the others do. There is also one called A Song for Summer which I have not read yet — I’m saving it for a rainy day.

Here’s my A review of A Countess Below Stairs.

And here’s DA Jan’s A- review of The Star of Kazan, one of Ibbotson’s YA novels.

Ibbotson’s romances had settings as diverse as Vienna, Austria and Manaus, Brazil, or post World War I England. A couple of her books made our Top 100 romance list here at DA.

She will be sorely missed.

8. katiebabs
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:21:25

Cook Source is so many shades of wrong! Talk about a condensending snarky response. I would be steaming if it happened to me.

I’m not sure what to think about Lisa Kleypas’s new contemporary series because on here website it says in the header that she’s a best-selling women’s fiction author. Note not a best-seller of romance. :(

9. Janine
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:39:45

The lostbooksale.com site is fab! Thanks for setting it up!

10. Janet P.
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 12:57:21

not sure what to think about Kleypas either given that I thought the Friday Harbor Christmas book was the lead-in to a new series that would be out soon. Its a pleasant enough book but really not the type of thing that I’m going to get into anticipating for years the next installment.

Cook’s Source = Idiots. Worse yet, Bully Idiots.

I’d suggest the Author write back saying that her “required donation” amount will be increasing by $20 a day and she as initiated contact with a lawyer. Jerks.

Word of lostbooks needs to be spread around the internets. At least it will give some a bit of relief to know they can complain somewhere without being lectured on their entitlement attitudes.

11. Moriah Jovan
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 13:08:58

Is “price too high” an acceptable reason for a lost sale or is it limited to geo restrictions?

12. Lisa W.
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 13:27:31

Love lostbooksales.com. I agree with Janet P.. it’s nice to find a website that I can voice my ebook price complaints. Last time I posted a reply about refusing to buy an ebook based on price at the Kindle Discussion Forum on Amazon, I got snarky replies from other posters.

13. DS
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 13:53:09

So sorry about Eva Ibbotson. She and Judith Merkle Riley both gone within two months!

Thanks for the lost books site, Jane and friends. I have a few to add.

14. rebyj
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:06:04

This is so gasp out loud ridiculous. I went to the original blog post by the plagiarized author and she posts a link there to a blog post well worth reading at http://nihilistic-kid.livejournal.com/1553538.html

Just when I thought my jaw could not drop any farther, in that live journal post the blogger posts this:
    “I saw a big hunk of the email exchange. Griggs even dared end her email with, “There, now. I have gone on enough. Thank you for allowing us to use your (improved) article. the only piece of advice I have to offer is that I would watch your email content, it was very offensive, what you sent” ”

The fact that Griggs uses the word “ALLOWING” just flabbergasts me!

15. Vi
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:07:53

Jane, is the HP bundle on Amazon the digital books? If so, Harlequin has ceased to offer this as of October.
    I have an internet friend who has has been loyal to them since 1978. She was very upset that the e-bundles were gone a few months after purchasing her Kindle. Harlequin, of course, offered no reason why in a response letter to her inquiry.

16. Vi
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:14:41

P.S. Kleypas has had that bestselling women’s fiction header since she started to write contemps. Having young children, it must be difficult to keep the pace of 3 book releases a year. I’m sure she needs to re-energize and be inspired. I look forward to her return in 2011 (along with Sherry Thomas), in the meantime, there will be plenty to keep me entertained! (Looking at you, Nalini Singh and Meljean Brook :p)

Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:19:42

@Vi Yes, the HP bundle on Amazon. That’s too bad. It was such a great deal.

18. Ridley
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:28:48

I am absolutely sick of the pink breast cancer marketing gimmick. It’s an absolutely shameless way of appropriating other people’s pain and their friends’ sympathies to crassly generate sales.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:29:32

@Moriah Jovan Yes, there are about 10 choices you can make or you can give your own reason. Price is one of the predefined choices.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:30:05

@Ros Yes, I think I can do that. I’ll take a look at it this weekend.

21. jayhjay
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:44:27

I love my nook and have been very happy with it, but I must say I find the store freebies stuff is a bit of a crock. I don’t think anyone really buys a reader for these extras, but marketing it like you are really getting something good is ridiculous. How about free books? Discount coupons? More free chocolate! ;-)

I am not sure if an essay about a book by another author (which I have gotten as a freebie) is really worth the hype. I don’t usually go in there with my nook but sometime I am there having coffee in the starbucks and I read. But it is pretty sad what they offer.

22. Mara
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 14:44:33

Are James and the other Penguin authors giving their book proceeds to fund breast cancer research?

If they are, good for them. I applaud them.

If not, then I have to agree with Ridley.

23. Helen
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:03:08

@jayhjay:
    You can get a free smoothie right now! I got one yesterday.

24. TKF
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:18:12

@Ridley: *jaw drops* That is the most cynical, crass comment I’ve seen you make yet. Wow. Just, wow.

25. DS
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:20:17

@Ridley: The very worst one I have ever run into was at a Kentucky Fried Chicken. I ordered a bucket of grilled breast strips and it came in a pink, support breast cancer container.

26. Anonymousss
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:28:25

Vi said (re Lisa Kleypas):

it must be difficult to keep the pace of 3 book releases a year. I'm sure she needs to re-energize and be inspired.

Frankly, I wish more of my favorite authors would follow suit. There are authors whose work I no longer regularly read, series that I’ve given up on, because I feel the quality is suffering.

It’s rather a deal with the devil, isn’t it? If someone wants to make a living wage as a fiction writer, the writer needs to release multiple books per year. But if those books aren’t consistently great, the writer loses the readership they (and their publisher) worked so hard to build.

It’s a dilemma.

27. Ridley
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:36:42

@TKF:

Why? Because it’s true? I’m hardly the only one who thinks so. The Boston Globe recently ran an op-ed piece on this, and had a longer feature article last year.

It’s little more than a marketing racket, and it infuriates me.

28. Ridley
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:39:42

Here’s the link to the op-ed. I guess I flubbed the formatting.

29. Sylvere ap Leanan
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 15:44:17

The web is public domain? Since when? Someone should notify the U.S. Copyright Office of this news. Or maybe Cook’s Source should fire this knucklehead and update its employee handbook. Outrageous!

30. ~
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:02:03

@Ridley: I have to agree, the marketing schtick aspect/ooo cool cause to get me some good PR gets old.

The most stomach turning make me want to choke someone was tshirts (which at least I do believe proceeds went to research) was “save my life feel me up” or something to that effect several thought were so cute, I found whorish and trivializing, but matter of opinion.

I’m a breast cancer survivor. I was in my early 20s. My mother. My aunt. A cousin has so far dodged the bullet with benign cysts, but with the history? Matter of time for her, and likely my daughter as well. 2 great-aunts died of breast cancer. (Several other cancers prevelant in the family as well) I think good intentions have crossed to good marketing/PR Op. It gets quite old.

31. RKB
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:07:59

Well, Cook’s Source is about to be toast. Rumor has it 4chan is about to get in the fray. Plus, at least one of Paula Deen’s recipes was lifted and now Paula Deen’s lawyers have been contacted:

They seem to have also stolen from FoodNetwork, NPR and Martha Stewart, among many, many others.

I wonder how this is all going to play out!

32. Moriah Jovan
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:08:41

@TKF:

Actually, I agree with Ridley. It’s become completely invisible to me, if not a downright annoyance. At this point, it’s just manipulative and exploitative.

@Jane Thanks! I’ll give it a closer look, because there’ve been a bunch I haven’t bought just on price point.

33. Robin
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:15:14

Given Edward Champion’s work on the Cooks Source situation, there might well be plagiarism as well as copyright infringement, since there seem to be extensive examples of copying, some of which may not be properly credited:

34. aislin
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:32:27

@Ridley & @TKF The backlash against the pink ribbon culture has been going on for a while. One of my graduate sociology professors just published a book, Pink Ribbon Blues, based on almost a decade of research that was funded by a research fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities. I remember her telling us once about an interview she'd done with a breast cancer survivor. This woman had been her local coffee shop going about her life when she suddenly saw a pink ribbon on a muffin and it brought everything she had gone through, the fear, the pain, the suffering, back to the surface. She had just wanted to get her coffee and go about her day, not be reminded about her breast cancer. Research has borne out that people will spend more money and are more inclined to buy things with pink ribbons or that support breast cancer research… it has become a money making venture.

35. Estara
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:34:55

I’m fiddling about with adding resources to lostbooksales.com (shouldn’t have been lost ebook sales?) – it’s a bit unfortunate you can’t read the comments on the links right after the direct click on it (you need to click extra on comment), because I’m trying to give a bit more info on some of the links already included and it would help if that would show up right away.

I’ve also tried to add some new resources myself ^^, with more info added. I hope that works out okay.

Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:39:29

@Estara: It’s lostbooksales because you can record a lost sale if the book is in digital and not in print. But, for the record, lostebooksales also points to this site as does lostebooksale and lostbooksale.

37. John
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:47:41

@Janine: I’ve read The Star of Kazan and Which Witch? I’ve always wanted to try her other work – YA and romance alike. She has that aura about her work that just invokes child-like joy about you.

She was a wonderful writer.

38. Ros
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:48:56

@Jane: Cool, thanks.

39. Vi
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 16:50:22

@Anonymousss So true. Kleypas is such an established and best-selling author, that it’s great that she can or is permitted to take the time off. In the interview, Kleypas said:
    “As to other genres . . . I've just had the longest non-writing break I've taken in years, and it was incredibly refreshing and much-needed. During this time off, I was studying the genre of magical realism, and I was fascinated by one of the main precepts-that ordinary things and magical things all have the same value in the story.  It makes perfect sense to me as a romance reader-’because we see magic in everyday things, don't we? Love, especially. So I've been experimenting a little, trying to find ways to incorporate those elements into a romance, and we'll see what I can come up with.”

This gives hope that the book (Sam’s story) will be worth the wait.

40. Estara
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 17:18:54

@Jane: Thanks for explaining!

41. DS
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:00:45

It would be interesting to have a running total on http://lostbooksales.com of the amount of money lost and the number of sales lost. Or is that already there and I just don’t see it?

Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:14:20

@DS: That’s something beyond my coding abilities. Under the “Help Us” section I have a plea for someone with PHP & WordPress experience to help us achieve that.

43. ShellBell
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:20:41

Loving the lostbooksales site and have started adding my 60+ lost sales. Is there any way of editing when you notice a typo after you have submitted the lost sale?

Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:22:48

@ShellBell: Unfortunately there is no “preview” for the form entry so the best you can do is send an email to me or via the contact form on the site.

45. Janine
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:29:29

@John:

She has that aura about her work that just invokes child-like joy about you.

So true. The only one Ibbotson’s YA books I’ve read is Journey to the River Sea which I did like. But for me the books she originally wrote for adults have even more of that charm and joy. They were later reprinted as YA. I would be happy to loan you one or two of them if you like. She’s just one of those authors I think everyone should try.

46. eggs
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 18:45:09

The ibookstore for Australia sucks. I use the kindle app on my iphone to read ebooks available to Australians and it’s inventory is vastly superior to ibooks. For example, I am a big fan of the urban fantasy series of Harry Dresden Books by Jim Butcher, which are Hachette books. Amazon will sell me all 13 books in the series on the kindle app using Australia as my geographical location. When I checked ibookstore, it only offers the 10th book in the series, ‘Small Favour’, for $11.99 (same price as the kindle edition).

The fact that they would offer only one book in the series, and that it is the 10th book out of 13 published so far seems bizarre to me. I could understand offering only the first book in a series, or only the newest book – but a random book from the middle of the series? Very strange marketing decision indeed.

My 8 year old also spent about 30 minutes in the ibookstore looking for a suitable book to read on her ipod touch, but couldn’t find anything she wanted either, so I imagine the lack of content is across the board.

I will say that the pricing of the ebooks at both Amazon and ibooks is vastly superior to the pricing of paper in Australia. I bought the trade paperback of William Gibson’s 2010 release ‘Zero History’ in an independent bookstore a couple of weeks ago. It cost me $32.95 (1 Australian dollar = 1 US Dollar). I can buy the same book on the kindle app for $12.99. With that kind of price differential, kindle and ibooks are both going to be very successful in Australia, no matter how sucky their content.

47. ShellBell
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 19:14:28

@Jane:
    thanks Jane

48. Susan/DC
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 20:08:51

I adore Eva Ibbotson’s books for adults. She is so very humane and wise, even about her villains. They are definitely not the good guys, but they are understandably human in their failings. Her heroines are often innocent but never idiotic, and her heroes are self-assured and charismatic without having to resort to chest thumping. She combines lovely writing with wonderful characters, and I’m forever quoting her (I think I have more Ibbotson quotes in my reading journal than anyone else). She will be missed.

49. Miranda Neville
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 20:25:21

I hate to see Cook’s Source described as a “venerable magazine of cooking.” I fear it may be confused in people’s minds with Cook’s Illustrated, a highly respected publication which had never, to my knowledge, been accused of unethical behavior.

50. Merrian
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 20:56:01

I agree with Ridley’s comments about the pink ribbon stuff. It is a sales and fund raising gimmick.

If they were serious about women’s health issues then what about the under researched and under resourced and higher death rate women’s cancers like ovarian cancer? Most women diagnosed with breast cancer will survive breast cancer. Most women diagnosed with ovarian cancer will die. What about heart disease which kills more women than breast cancer? Yet most heart disease knowledge and research is still based on male bodies. Female symptoms of heart attacks can differ from male ones and be more subtle so they are ignored by women and health professionals.

This is as much about breasts and their place in our culture and the lack of place for other female parts I think.

51. John
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 21:07:02

@Janine: No need. I’m hoping to get some of her books for Christmas or something. I’ve wanted to try her YA romance – or rather, her adult romance packaged as YA – and I figure now is as good a time as any.

I cried when I found out, because her work just touched me in that tender place – and it’s hard to know she won’t write any more books that don’t that.

52. Merrian
    Nov 04, 2010 @ 21:37:50

A heads up for my fellow Australians. I just found Jeannie Lin’s ‘Butterfly Swords’ as a digital book with multiple formats on the Dymocks website.

53. mina kelly
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 06:06:27

I think the breast cancer awareness thing is perfectly summed up by Wonderella.

#

The Cook’s Source thing actually makes me laugh. It’s terrible, but it’s like a game of ‘copying bingo’.
    - You should be flattered
    - Everything online is free
    - It was really bad anyway
    - Think of it as free promotion
    - Everyone does it
    Bingo!
    Actually, I think fandom_wank may have already made this bingo card…

54. DS
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 06:53:56

Your lostbooksales.com site seems to have really hit a sweet spot. I’ve run into it three times on different book related boards I visit that are not specifically romance related.

55. Brian
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 09:12:06

From the looks of things lifting articles from elsewhere is business as usual for them (articles from WebMD, Martha Stewart, NPR and others have been lifted wholesale), there's a Facebook discussion where folks have been researching the articles and where they came from…

Good job on the lostbooksales.com site.

56. Christine Rimmer
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 09:14:55

@mina kelly: And what is that on facebook with all the cause stuff? It’s almost as bad as farmville. Tanks for the mammaries, indeed.

57. Mina Kelly
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 09:43:17

I really have to bite my tongue (chew my nails?) on facebook these days, because I don’t want to hurt anyone who has lost someone to cancer/bullying/suicide etc but these causes don’t need raised awareness, they need time and money. We already know they exist! If you’re serious about helping bullied teens, volunteer with a helpline. If you want to beat cancer, donate to a cancer charity.

The point when everything got a bit laughable for me was when my place of work started giving out those rubber wrist bands, to ‘raise awareness’ of the reopening of one of our museums. Some of the public hadn’t been aware it closed…

58. Janine
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 13:09:09

@John: I hope you enjoy Ibbotson’s romances as much as her other books. The Reluctant Heiress (originally pubbed as Magic Flutes) is probably my favorite of the ones that were reprinted as YA books, so I’d recommend starting there.

I cried when I found out, because her work just touched me in that tender place – and it's hard to know she won't write any more books

I was very sad too. It may be cliche to say so, but it feels like a light has gone out in the world.

59. Suze
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 18:39:46

Oh my goodness! Lose your internet connection for a few days and the whole place exploderates!

Thank you so much for the lost book sales site. I feel so smart and influential (which is so very rare for me that I’m milking it for all I’m worth). It’s only been a few days and there are already over 200 entries. Holy. I knew I was irked by the situation, and I guessed that other people were, but it’s bigger than I thought it was. I hope it leads to some changes.

That Cooks Source thing is funny! And, refreshingly, there doesn’t seem to be a chorus of devoted followers calling everybody out for being mean. It’s just flat-out entertaining.

60. ShellBell
    Nov 05, 2010 @ 18:54:07

I’ve entered most of my lost sales, now just trying to go through and remember the books/authors that I gave up on because I couldn’t purchase the eBook version.

thanks to Jane, Suze and co for the idea and all of your hard work in getting the lostbooksales.com site up and running.