Thursday Midday Links (and Deals) : Monica Jackson Passed Away, Rumors...

Sometime yesterday, Monica Jackson passed away due to complications of surgery. Monica was a fierce defender of African American authors and multicultural books. Her voice will be missed in our community.

News

Deals

• The Bro-Magnet by Lauren Baratz-Logsted * $0.00 * A  – unfortunately an Amazon only special as author is utilizing the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library
  • Tough to Tame by Diana Palmer * $1.04 * A | BN | K | S
  • This Matter of Marriage by Debbie Macomber * $3.44 * A | BN | K | S
  • Navy Husband by Debbie Macomber * $3.44 * A | BN | K | S
  • On a Snow Night by Debbie Macomber * $3.81 * A | BN | K | S
  • Family Affair by Debbie Macomber * $3.99 * A | BN | K | S

1. Laura Vivanco
    May 17, 2012 @ 12:28:06

In Monica’s last blog post she wrote that

My health has taken a funky turn. Nothing life-threatening, just annoying. That’s why I’ve been scarce.

I’ll have surgery in a couple of weeks, so won’t be around here much or posting until after my recovery.

Blessings,
    Monica

I’m so sad to read that the situation was, in fact, life-threatening.

2. Maili
    May 17, 2012 @ 12:46:11

I’m still shocked over Monica’s passing. I did not expect her to go so soon. Her voice seemed too big for that. She richly deserved credit for kicking our collective arses a few years ago. She’d certainly delivered mine on a plate. She had a wicked sense of humour, too. How unfair. Huge condolences to her family.

3. Janine
    May 17, 2012 @ 12:57:18

I’m so sorry to hear about Monica Jackson! I haven’t read much of hers, only a novella in an anthology, but it was the best novella in that anthology. I always meant to read more, but I’m not that into contemporary romance. And yes, what a fierce defender of diversity in romance reading she was. Definitely a voice that will be missed! As Maili says, it is good for the community to have our asses (arses) kicked on this issue.

4. Ciar Cullen
    May 17, 2012 @ 13:15:39

Oh no. I hadn’t been on the web much and was thinking of her recently, thinking of writing her. This makes me very sad.

5. Sunita
    May 17, 2012 @ 13:34:57

I’m so shocked and saddened that Monica is gone. You didn’t have to agree with her to know that she was an important voice in the community and for the genre. She also was willing to wade in where a lot of other authors and readers have simply given up trying to make others understand their points of view.

If it weren’t for Monica, I never would have found Beverly Jenkins, not to mention any number of other authors. And her books were a lot of fun to read. I still have some in my TBR, I think I’ll go pull one out.

Damn.

6. azteclady
    May 17, 2012 @ 13:55:10

Oh, so sad about Monica Jackson!

7. Fave
    May 17, 2012 @ 16:12:36

Monica was a huge fire that stayed lit under me (and countless others) to write creatively and passionately. I am at a loss and my heart goes out to her family. Rest in POWER, Ms. Jackson!

8. Shiloh Walker
    May 17, 2012 @ 16:40:39

The news about Monica just left me speechless. she’s going to be missed.

9. Evangeline Holland
    May 17, 2012 @ 17:16:46

We’ve lost a brave woman and author in Monica Jackson.

10. Gennita Low
    May 17, 2012 @ 17:35:27

I’m shocked and saddened about Monica’s passing. My condolences to her family.

11. library addict
    May 17, 2012 @ 18:06:41

My condolcences to Monica Jackson’s family and friends.

12. Keishon
    May 17, 2012 @ 18:09:11

I am in utter shock at news of Monica Jackson’s death. She had such a STRONG voice in the romance community. She kicked some major ass around here and she also made me laugh in the things she said, too. My condolences to her family.

13. Karlynp
    May 17, 2012 @ 18:19:45

I think a lot of consumers have been waiting for a back-lit Kindle, so it will be interesting to see if anyone gets excited about a front-lit version. It sounds like it will have its own built in light. Whoopee (not). Kindle isn’t the best for low-light reading, and I struggle to find good lighting to read, but I don’t see this as my best solution. I wish it was more along the line of the new Nook. It has a soft back-lit version that looks great, unfortunately most of my e-library is .mobi.

Condolences to Monica’s family. I personally didn’t know who she was, but if she made a positive impact in the literary world she must have been a gem.

14. lucy
    May 17, 2012 @ 20:37:52

My condolence to all the people that Monica left behind and to those who will miss her.

If the 7″ ipad is true then I’m really tempted to buy one. I’ve been curious about their app store but I can’t really justify the price for their products.

15. Meljean
    May 17, 2012 @ 23:45:45

Oh my god, Monica. I can’t even. To her family, I’m so sorry. To all of us in the romance community, we’ve lost an amazing one. :-(

16. Robin Bayne
    May 18, 2012 @ 08:24:45

So sorry to hear that! Praying for the family.

17. Meoskop
    May 18, 2012 @ 11:23:45

Monica Jackson should be it’s own entry. Hard to move to any other topic.

I call BS on the mini-pad. This rumor surfaces about this time every year. I’d love to be wrong but there are a dozen reasons this is unbelievable. I think the rumors are placed by competitiors so consumers disappointed when a mini-pad fails to appear in Oct look at their products for holiday gifts. Not only has Apple Been actively against a mini-pad, Jobs was especially vocal about it. Is a CEO still hugging the mantle of his predecessor going to launch a product the guy opposed at a price point that competes with their own iPod touch in a month that doesn’t feed their established product launch cycle? I say no. Again. Let’s see what fall brings.

18. Estara Swanberg
    May 18, 2012 @ 13:11:26

Ohhh, all the McKades at that price. I have to get them in e now.