Thursday Midday Links (and Deals!): Adult Fiction eBook Sales Nearing 30%...

News

Personal Note:  Of course agents are unhappy with the decline of paper books and frankly their opposition to the settlement just confirms the DOJ’s assertion to the court that ebook prices were held unnaturally high to prevent cannibalization of print book sales and to slow ebook adoption. If you haven’t sent a statement in support but would like to, please feel free to use this form: http://support4settlement.wordpress.com/

Personal Note:  It looks like Hachette is going to pursue some kind of agency pricing deal with Amazon. The only agency pricing deal (which isn’t even agency pricing but whatever) limits the total number of discounts that Amazon can give on a book by the amount of commission Amazon earns on the aggregate sales of the publishers’ books.

Personal Note:  This is a story I have been following but didn’t post about. Apparently Pearson Publishing (a division of Pearson which is the parent of Penguin) provides testing materials to schools. A huge uproar began after there was a strange question on an English exam about the feelings of a pineapple. The author took to his website to answer questions about the Pineapple question. You can read more about it here. More problems arose. If the problems are truly because of proofing, then obviously some internal controls need to be instituted. Education, I believe, constitutes about half of the revenue of Pearson.

Deals

• Lavendar Vows by Colleen Gleason * $0.00 * A | BN | K | S
  • Tainted by Temptation by Katy Madison * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Lord of Vengeance by Lara Adrian * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Magic In His Kiss by Shari Anton * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • To Surrender to A Rogue by Cara Elliott * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • For Better or Hearse by Laura Durham * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Deception by Lee Nichols * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • The Doomsday Key and The Last Oracle with Bonus Excerpts by James Rollins * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Heart of the Dove by Lara Adrian * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Heart of the Hunter by Lara Adrian * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
  • Heart of the Flame by Lara Adrian * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S

Finally, a fun info graphic from Online Universities:

E-book Nation

1. Ros
    May 10, 2012 @ 10:17:36

I love that graphic!

2. Melissa Blue
    May 10, 2012 @ 12:09:52

What that self-pubbed author speaks is the truth. And, for me at least, Mondays are when I sell the most. Not the weekend. It’s the only thing that makes Mondays bearable.

3. Lisa J
    May 10, 2012 @ 13:09:25

Dangerous Passion by Lisa Marie Rice is $3.99 (I found it at Kobo and BoB for that price). It was the only one in the Dangerous series I didn’t have in e format, so I jumped on that deal.

4. JoanneL
    May 10, 2012 @ 13:50:20

Jane, I’m sorry but with all your hard work to put up all these links all I can think is “oh, DA looks so pretty with all the nice colors!”

I always use Amazon’s cardboard boxes when shipping books for OperationPaperback – and when I turn them inside out I figure Amazon is gettting some free advertising. Or not. But their packing is the best for paper books.

5. library addict
    May 10, 2012 @ 14:29:18

The average e-book reader has read 24 book in the past 12 months

I usually read that in a month. And so do many romance readers I know.

So is the difference between the Kindle lending program and the regular library is that there is no waiting for Prime members? Because the HP books are all available at my library to borrow digitally. So why is Amazon claiming the deal is “exclusive?” I am obviously missing something.

I had a CS rep blame the company for showing my super saver shipping deal was delaying my order for a few weeks even though the stuff was in-stock and eligible for overnight delivery. As much as I love Amazon’s customer service, half the time they don’t have a clue what they are talking about. At least that’s been my experience.

I’ve bookmarked some of the other links to read later. Lots of interesting stuff today when of course I don’t have time to read it.

6. DS
    May 10, 2012 @ 14:42:12

With all your hard work in putting up this post, the thing that first really engaged my attention was about the Amazon boxes. We have a corner full of boxes we have received product in from Amazon that we use for mailing or just handing over paper copies of files, etc. No doubt they have saved us quite a bit of money and cornered some good recycling karma for us in addition to any advertising advantage for Amazon.

7. MaryK
    May 10, 2012 @ 15:02:12

The smile on the Amazon boxes is genius. Every time I see it I think, “Ooh, somebody got a goody.”

8. Lada
    May 10, 2012 @ 16:07:37

Thanks for the link to the Forbes article on Bezos…fascinating stuff. Amazon world domination is a scary prospect but it’s good to know the leader is still listening to the people.

9. cleo
    May 10, 2012 @ 18:05:15

Souless by Gail Carriger is $.99 at Amazon and Barnes and Noble (haven’t looked anywhere else).

10. Bonnie L.
    May 10, 2012 @ 21:07:30

Harry Potter on the Kindle Lending Library?! Scooooore! I just hooked my seven-year-old daughter on Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. Adding in the incentive to read the next one on Mama’s Kindle? Priceless.

11. SAO
    May 10, 2012 @ 23:29:54

I think objective measures of performance (tests) are important, but they are done so badly. I think proof-reading is a cost that every publisher has been cutting. It probably can’t be shifted to India or some other low cost place all that easily.

My son has had math tests from text books where I checked his “wrong” answers and discovered they were right.

12. Kaetrin
    May 11, 2012 @ 01:52:45

@Jane – is there any benefit in non US residents like me sending a letter of support re agency pricing and the DOJ settlement? I’d be happy to do it but I’m not sure if there’s any point to it.

13. Carolyn
    May 11, 2012 @ 02:18:44

@library addict: Essentially that’s correct. There’s no waiting in line for a popular book and no due date.

I think Amazon’s deal is exclusive because ebooks can’t be lent without the publisher’s permission and not all of them give it. Amazon will have the books; B&N most likely won’t.

14. Mellissa
    Sep 26, 2012 @ 00:59:00

I’ve learned many important things via your post. I might also like to mention that there might be situation in which you will get a loan and do not need a co-signer such as a Federal Student Aid Loan. In case you are getting that loan through a conventional bank or investment company then you need to be able to have a cosigner ready to assist you. The lenders can base that decision over a few variables but the most significant will be your credit worthiness. There are some loan companies that will also look at your work history and come to a decision based on that but in many cases it will hinge on your rating.