Thursday eBook Tech News Round Up

I’ve been criminally negligent in not keeping up with the news in the past few weeks but real life intruded. We’ll have a similar black out at the end of the month here, but in the meantime, here’s some choice bits of ebook tech news:

1. XandraG
    Mar 05, 2009 @ 12:09:00

I keep hearing the whole “pirating is destroying musicians” argument (and actually waiting for the, “…and eatin ur babeez, too!”). I wonder how much of that is digital music killing musicians, versus digital music killing all the leeches in the music industry feeding off musicians like promoters, packagers, distributors, sales reps, etc. After all, a musician’s ability to make music hasn’t been changed much by digitalization (in fact, musicians might be having an easier time of it with computing power for mixing and sampling, and lossless digital formats), but everyone else in “the system” of How Things Are Done is certainly having to rethink their usefulness when How Things Are Done is changing.

Ditto the book industry. My ability to write stories hasn’t changed from ten years ago to today…it’s everybody else involved in the process of delivering my stories to other people that’s changing.

2. Teddypig
    Mar 05, 2009 @ 13:51:32

Allison Brennan expresses fear about the rise of ebooks given that piracy is destroying musicians.

Is there an actual industry study that supports this unfounded opinion?

Yeah, I did not think so.

3. Ann Bruce
    Mar 05, 2009 @ 21:49:36

Uh, Jane, Apple does have a Mac mini. It does not, however, have a UMPC. (Not using the term netbook since Psion has it trademarked.)

Mar 05, 2009 @ 21:52:33

@Ann Bruce: Yeah, I know, but that’s not what SB Sarah was referencing.

5. Ann Bruce
    Mar 05, 2009 @ 22:07:31

@Jane: I haven’t been to the SB’s site in a while, but I did understand you were referring to a UMPC. However, “Mac mini” was a little confusing at first glance.

6. Kimber An
    Mar 06, 2009 @ 07:40:42

“It wasn't the failure to educate, but the failure of the music industry to respond to the changing market and allowing one entity, Apple, to come in and dominate the void, creating a monolopy share of the digital download market (80%).”

I’ve wondered about that. The first law of evolution is to ‘Adapt or Die.’ There’s got to be a more effective way of dealing with the issue than ranting, because that might drive away honest readers as well as pirates.