The New Sony PRS700

FP_PRS700.jpg
Sony made it's big ereading announcement today. They are doubling down on the ereading business by relauching their bookstore and introducing a new Sony Reader. The key features include a touchscreen and a built in front light. The screen size is 6", uses eink technology, and costs $399.00.

While I love the new features, it sounds like the touchscreen is only usable for paging forward and backward via tapping to which I say, what a waste. The integrated front light is genius though.

Via Mobile Read.

1. Angela James
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 19:25:50

Too bad they couldn’t get in on the wireless thing. I’m with you on loving the front light though. But is it enough to get me to give up the convenience of sending every submission to myself?

2. Shiloh Walker
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 20:30:29

It’s purdy, but my 505 works fine.

I don’t think Sony is going to mess with the wireless thing yet, but in all honesty, I’m better off without it. Limits my impulse buying

3. Casee
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 20:49:22

Yet again, I wish I had waited to buy my Sony Reader. Since I bought mine, there have been so many changes. LOL.

It’s pretty. I love the light.

4. Anne Douglas
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 21:55:21

Talking of Sony Readers, I spied the Sony eReader end cap display at Target today. Talk about making it easy access, and they had a model live on the display too.

5. carolyn Jean
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 21:56:45

Oh, I was hoping it would be CHEAPER! I so long for an ereader. I sometimes print out my ebooks. I have so many.

6. Shiloh Walker
    Oct 02, 2008 @ 22:22:45

Hey, Anne, are you the lady who does the covers for readers?

7. Miki
    Oct 03, 2008 @ 00:12:49

I’d like to see it in action to decide whether it’s worth the fuss, but the touch feature is not just for page turning – it can search text with a screen-based keyboard.

I haven’t seen a demo or video yet – just reading the various threads over at mobilereads.com and following the links for more pics.

(P.S. It’s a 700, not a 707).

8. Anne Douglas
    Oct 03, 2008 @ 06:05:04

Shiloh, yes that’s me. I’m slowly stocking my store (had revisions up on the block to do first)

9. Corrine
    Oct 03, 2008 @ 11:30:09

An ereader (any ereader) is on my Santa-Please-I’ve-been-a-very-very-good-girl-(okay-not-really) list for Christmas. Hey, it could happen. Because I know I definitely can’t afford to shell out that kind of money.

10. Dear Author: Romance Book Reviews, Author Interviews, and Commentary » Missing the Market
    Oct 05, 2008 @ 08:20:55

[...] launched a new Reader last week. Sony is keeping it’s “entry-level” model, the PRS 505, and adding the [...]