Swoosh! It’s the Sound of Momentum and Previous Hard Work...

Lisa Valdez shocked the romance community with her provocative tale Passion. The book was considered quite controversial for its subject matter. Long, passionate discussions were had on many an email loop and public message board. Readers anxiously awaited the release of Patience. In November, Valdez gave the inside scoop to blogger, Sybil, that her muse had left her and she couldn’t quite manage to finish her book in time. Patience was rescheduled for release in March and then again to May. News from Romantic Times editorial department confirmed that the book, Patience, will not be released in 2007 and has not yet been scheduled for 2008.

Any momentum that Valdez may have had is slowing swirling down the toilet. It’s a bit sad to see her previous hard work go to waste, but failure to meet deadlines is going to lead to a very large obstacle in her once promising future.

1. Eva Gale
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 11:25:28

She gave a workshop on RD and she’s wonderful. I think she was so devastated by what happened after Passion it may have taken the road from under her feet. Regardless, I’ll wait patiently for Patience. :) Valdez is worth it. We should give her some love.

2. Robin
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 11:32:12

Hmmm, this is really too bad, especially when so many people seemed to be anxiously awaiting the next book. I didn’t wholeheartedly love Passion but I was still looking forward to Patience. If she can get it together to finish Patience, I sincerely hope Valdez avoids the messageboards and blogs while she works on her next one beyond that — and maybe she even needs someone to sort through her email.

3. Angie
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 11:58:32

I never read Passion, but I feel sad for any author who experiences something like this at a time when she should be riding high. I hope she can rediscover the joys of writing, for writing itself.

4. WendyPortia
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 12:06:51

I’ve not read the book, but I feel sympathy for Lisa Valdez. It must be awful to lose your mojo like that. Like Angie, I hope that Lisa can regain her pleasure in writing.

5. Sarah McCarty
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 14:53:19

Oh, how sad! Losing touch with the muse is a writer’s worst nightmare and so devastating. I hope she gets it back soon.

6. Wendy
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 17:50:39

I’m still trying to figure out how/why readers were “shocked” by Passion. It just didn’t strike me as controversial. To me it was on par with Emma Holly’s brief foray into erotic historical romance. I understand that people might have picked up the book not expecting the steaminess inside, but again – Holly had fairly traditional covers and really – was Holly’s name that “well known” at the time among traditional historical romance readers? Did she receive scads of angry letters/e-mails? It would be interesting to know.

Plus, having only “enjoyed” Passion (it was as solid “B” for me), I seemed to find nothing but glowing commentary about it. The readers I know just loved it to bits. That said, I have a general rule to stay away from message boards – a long standing practice I highly endorse for just about everybody. I guess that makes me a hypocrite since I adore blogs – but message boards seem like more rampant troll grounds to me. And I’ll never understand the concept of e-mailing an author to tell them how shitty their book is/was. To me that’s just rude. Hey, it’s one thing to post it to your blog/web site where the author has to make the effort to find it – another to leave a flaming pile of dog doo on her doorstep and ring the bell. But that’s another conversation entirely.

The long and the short of it though is that deadline is not being met, and that’s just bad business. Whether or not it’s Valdez’s “fault” or the publisher’s remains to be seen – but like you stated, it makes for a big obstacle and only serves to frustrate readers.

7. Angelle
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 18:50:47

It’s terrible. Hopefully she’ll get her “Muse” back soon.

8. LinM
    Apr 05, 2007 @ 20:47:15

Writer’s bloc must be its own prison. I’ve read 2 accounts of writer’s bloc that have stayed with me. One is the account by Laura Kinsale describing the pain of her war with her muse. The other is a Locusmag interview with Elizabeth A. Lynn:

I tried to figure out what to fill the hole in my life with. And what I filled it with was the rest of my life.

I suspect that Valdez is grappling with demons and I hope that she finds something to fill the hole in her life whether it be a return of her muse or another passion.

9. Karen Scott
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 03:01:36

I wonder if the problem with Patience was the theme? As I understood it , it was supposed to contain some BDSM, which may been hard to write, God knows I find it hard to read.

Methinks she’s probably going through some personal stuff.

10. Alison Kent
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 08:20:00

[quote comment="26075"]That said, I have a general rule to stay away from message boards – a long standing practice I highly endorse for just about everybody. I guess that makes me a hypocrite since I adore blogs – but message boards seem like more rampant troll grounds to me. And I’ll never understand the concept of e-mailing an author to tell them how shitty their book is/was. To me that’s just rude. Hey, it’s one thing to post it to your blog/web site where the author has to make the effort to find it – another to leave a flaming pile of dog doo on her doorstep and ring the bell. But that’s another conversation entirely.[/quote]

I can totally feel Lisa’s pain because I had a similar situation happen a few years ago with an editor who is no longer employed at my publishing house. Writing with a reader or an editor (if it’s the wrong editor; writing with the right one is a joy) looking over your shoulder is paralyzing. I never google myself, and if I run across comments about my work, I consider the source and whether or not I want to read what is being said. Most of the time I do because if the same comments come up again and again, they might be worth considering. But I also have learned (the hard, very hard way) to don my duck’s back and let the comments roll. The snarky emails, well, those I don’t even answer. Bad author, yes, but I see no need. I’m lucky that I’ve only had a few telling me to look into other employment, but I figure the emailer in that case has more issues than my writing does and anything I say will seem disingenuous!

11. Keishon
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 10:33:10

The reception of her book was quite mixed: some loved me, I liked it, thought it was good, some absolutely hated it. The discussions were quite nasty and very rude, IMO. It’s a shame that her book isn’t being released in a timely manner and that hurts because she’ll have to find her audience again. As for me, she’s been under the radar, I’ll try to keep my ears and eyes open for news on her next release but what a shame. Truly sad.

12. Keishon
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 10:34:11

typo in above, sorry: correction: some loved it, not some loved me *eye roll*

13. The Historical Thang Again « Milady Insanity
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 12:01:46

[…] And now, Dear Author has posted the news for Valdez fans: Patience isn’t even releasing this year! […]

14. Sybil
    Apr 06, 2007 @ 16:38:17

I could answer this but I am not sure if I can yet. Checking though…

15. LindaG
    Apr 07, 2007 @ 19:58:09

Well, I for one loved Passion and will purchase Patience if and when it ever comes out. I just hope Lisa Valdez is allright and my prayers are with her.

16. KBrant
    Apr 17, 2007 @ 11:14:46

Just read the update from Lisa Valdez’ website regarding “Patience.” Apparently she doesn’t know the date “Patience” will be published but is working on “Primrose.”

17. JKnighten
    May 06, 2007 @ 14:56:53

I LOVED Passion! It was so hot and deliciously sexy to me, I could hardly wait for Patience in May 2007. So I am very sad that there is no news on a new release date. Lisa–I will be first in line when you finish this book and get it published. I am sending positive energy your way, many blessings,
    Jodie

18. Lova
    Jul 31, 2007 @ 09:35:26

I could not put Passion down. It was wonderfully enthralling. Itdid take me
    by suprise, but in a good way. It was one of the best I have read in a long
    time. I do not understand the negative feed back. 1) If flip through the
    book to determine if it is something I will enjoy it before I buy it. 2) If anyone has ever read Susan Johnson , then there should not be much
    left to the imagination to be shocked. 3) I agree that if one does not care
    for a paticular aithor, just do not purchase books from said author.
    Negative comments are useless . Hopefully Lisa Valdez will focus on the
    positive and not the negative. I am a loyal fan.

19. Lova
    Jul 31, 2007 @ 09:43:28

I loved Passion. I do not understand the negative feedback.

20. Jamie
    Feb 07, 2008 @ 22:17:52

I really liked Passion & was really looking forward to the 2nd. book. It won an award for goodness sake, what does it matter what other people thought of it. Every one is entitled to their opinion, but it’s only that, their opinion.

Does any one have an update on a release date?? Or if Ms. Valdez is okay??? Hope all is well.

21. sc
    Apr 21, 2008 @ 11:40:37

Her website now says there will be news on her next book – “Patience” – (somewhat ironic in the circumstances for her many fans) at the end of April 2008.

22. monica
    May 16, 2011 @ 23:24:58

I liked Passion. I was a bit shocked when I just read it May 2011. She reminded me a lot of Thea Devine but much better

23. Eileen
    May 26, 2011 @ 08:58:16

I loved both books.Hope Primrose is out soon.Can hardly wait.

Just wondering though,did they use the “F” word in that era?