Sweet Savage Love Links of the Day

The Kindle’ 2  price drop from $359 to $299.   Some reports say this is due to the drop in cost of manufacturing of the eink screens. Who knows.

Lucinda Betts and Elise Logan sent me the link to NPR’s piece by Jack Murnighan who is a closet romance reader (not so closeted anymore, Jack).   Wonder if Jack prefers the romances with “Jack” as the titular character?

Not unlike the great late-teen realization that girls like sex too, the very thought that men and women were occasionally conjuring the same sugarplums made me feel much closer to my female compeers in general, and less like a creeping lust monster.

Here is a Capital! piece of social media mockery.   It’s Pride and Prejudice recast in Twitterverse.   There are so many brilliant moments that it’s hard to quote just one favorite.

Bingley:
@Darcy I can hardly wait to dance with @JaneB. She is the most capital girl I have ever met. #loveat1stsight

Darcy:
@Bingley Any savage can dance. #proofofmysuperiority

Bingley:
@Darcy JaneB’s sister, Lizzy is pretty. You could dance with her. It would be capital fun.

Darcy:
@Bingley She’s tolerable, but she is not handsome enough to tempt me. Also: could you stop saying “capital” so much? #abovemypeers

LizzyB:
@CharlotteL RT @D*rcy “She is tolerable. But she is not handsome enough to tempt me.” #twitteratiRtwats #takeyrtweetsprivatefool

In non book news, scientists have been able to recreate human sperm from stem cells. This will help those that have bought this cookbook. (hey, it is kind of book related)

1. Colleen
    Jul 09, 2009 @ 19:24:10

Pride and Prejudice recast in twitter… It’s great fun but Penguin Books actually signed two University of Chicago students to covert 75 classic novels and plays as “Twitterature.”

The Chicago Tribune had an article on it a week or so ago.

The classics in 20 or fewer tweets. I don’t know if I should be amused or horrified.

2. evie byrne
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 00:11:11

Aghh! I just went to your cookbook link. Color me traumatized. I’ll never be able to look straight at a flan again.

3. Did Kindle price drop result from PVI’s buy of E Ink? | TeleRead: Bring the E-Books Home
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 07:13:07

[...] via Dear Author.) Digg us! Slashdot us! Share the [...]

4. Randi
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 08:19:45

The Twitter P&P was freakin brilliant. I am seriously impressed. Going back to read it again!

5. Noticias Edición Digital » Blog Archive » Did Kindle price drop result from PVI’s buy of E Ink?
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 08:48:01

[...] (Spotted via Dear Author.) [...]

6. Heather
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 08:55:35

I heard the piece on NPR yesterday and was torn between “yay, they’re talking about romance books in a positive way” and “ew, you couldn’t pick a more recent example of the genre than Sweet Savage Love?”

I’m still torn since because the story series is called Guilty Pleasures. Hey NPR, why not talk about these books in You Must Read This?

7. Sandia
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 09:32:49

I caught the NPR piece on my drive home as well. I think it’s great that the two Guilty Pleasures I’ve heard so far have both been by men admitting to their love of Romance – Brad Meltzer loves Twilight (in case you missed that one).

8. Susan/DC
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 11:50:20

I caught this on my ride home too. Liked the fact that Murnighan poked fun at his intellectual, tweed-wearing self throughout. But definitely felt the need to respond that there are so much better romances out there.

When a writer for The New York Times admitted that she liked Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series, she caught serious grief (as well as, admittedly, support). I can only imagine what the comments about “Sweet Savage Love” will look like.

And for those for whom Cliff Notes is too much effort, the Twitter version of P&P is perfect.

9. Li
    Jul 10, 2009 @ 14:27:00

Loved the P&P retelling – thanks for the link!