Stephenie Meyer’s Midnight Sun 12 Chapters Available

Someone sent me twelve chapters of Stephenie Meyer’s Midnight Sun (the story of Bella and Edward told from Edward’s POV) a few days ago.   There was a bit of speculation as to whether this was an authentic Meyer voice or whether it was fan ficced. I leaned toward the latter.   But apparently the chapters circulating on the internet are authentic and Meyer has acknowledged that it is.

Whether she will “punish” the fans and the leaker by not finishing remains to be seen, but if you want to read chapters 1-12 of the Edward/Bella saga from Edward’s POV, it is online.

1. MD
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 10:12:15

Something about the way her post is worded provokes a weird suspicion that it might have been done intentionally because she didn’t really want to finish, or basically rehash, a story she’s already told.

Maybe it’s just that, if it were a story I really wanted to write, I don’t believe chapter leakage or anything else would prevent me from writing it.

Or maybe it was leaked to see if she could get any feedback to encourage her to finish it.

It just seems very strange that if she handed the chapters over only to people she really trusted, how this could have happened? And that bit about no malicious intent. Hmm.

The draft posted just looks like more Mary Bella Sue stuff. Blech.

Aug 29, 2008 @ 10:14:58

MD – I think you are right about the leak being intentional. Jia had the very same thought.

3. katiebabs
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 10:49:52

I also agree with the leakage. I honestly think this story will never be published, unless Meyer does an electronic project where you pay to read each chapter or something of that sort. I honestly think after Breaking Dawn, readers wouldn’t be so inclined to read Edward’s. POV, What could he really say of interest that hasn’t been shown in the book? How horny he is for Bella or how much he wants her blood?

4. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 10:54:48

How horny he is for Bella or how much he wants her blood?

Nope. How much he wants to kill her. And then stalk her. But it’s okay, because he loves her.

I think it’ll get published eventually; there’s still a great deal of fandom in love with Edward (and maybe books 1-3).

5. Michelle
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:02:26

I think it was also done to try to distract people from some of the backlash from Breaking Dawn. Haven’t read it yet but it has been taking quite a beating.

6. katiebabs
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:03:18

You have a point there Handyhunter! LMAO
    Or how Edward enjoys having Bella ride on his back.

7. Jeaniene Frost
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:14:10

If this was an unintentional leak, then I feel bad for Meyer. I’ve sent pre-edited versions of my books to friends for feedback, and if somehow those ended up available for public viewing on the internet, I’d be horrified.

As for how it could have happened, if Meyer only sent those chapters to people she trusted…well, one of those trusted people could have forwarded it to a friend – sworn to secrecy, of course – who then forwarded it to another friend – sworn to secrecy, etc. – and then it ends up available everywhere when someone eventually sends it to a person who isn’t very ethical. It’s an author’s worst nightmare, really. Epiracy probably starts with someone legally downloading a book, then sending it to a trusted friend to “share”, like with a paperback, and then maybe that friend sends it to someone, and then somewhere down the line, the book ends up on those illegal mass-distribution sites where anyone can get it for free.

Meyer is lucky that she’s such a big name, a leak like this won’t ruin her career. If something like this happened to a new or smaller author, it could kill a future book, not to mention really harm a career.

8. Meljean
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:15:55

I can’t speak to the leak, but I do know that was my reaction the first time my WIP was read before I was ready for it to go out. And, sure, that was my sister and I was only 17 … but the sense of violation was so great I simply couldn’t finish the work (and I tried). And I still have a hard time showing anyone my work before it’s ready.

So her reaction does ring true to me.

Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:21:01

I don’t know. It sounds like a very clever marketing ploy. She’s got four books coming out next year. Color me totally unsurprised if this is one of them. Her movie is coming out in a few months. She’s had some definite backlash including the very public statements by the actor playing Edward that he basically hates Edward as written and thinks he’s a total psycho.

10. B
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:22:56

What I find strange about the whole thing is how long it took her to claim the work as her own. I’ve been watching this since it started, something like a week ago or so. I know that a lot of people e-mailed her, her brother, possibly even her agent and her publisher to inform her, yet it still took this long for something to be said by her.

Why? As a writer, if it was my work, I’d be on this so fast it would make your head spin. I can’t see any reason, outside of a possible intentional leak, to leave it that long. And I really can’t believe that it took her that long to find out. People were e-mailing from day one. I’m not sure I can buy that no one in the Meyer’s camp got the message.

11. katiebabs
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:28:40

Jane,
    Meyer has 4 books coming out next year?!?! OMG. 2009 the year of the Meyer! How is she doing that?

12. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:33:37

I bet you the leak came from someone involved with the movie. Some people think it’s Robert Pattinson but I don’t think he’s that stupid or malicious. If there was a copy on the set, any number of people could have found it and made a copy for someone they knew would want to read it and things probably escalated from there.

I do think there’s merit in the idea that the leak was intentional. The Twilight Guide comes out in December and there’s no reason to buy it if it’s going to be out of date within a year which would happen with MS’s publication.

13. Christina
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:36:43

If she’s been thinking about writing this book for a long time, how could she just put it on hold indefinitely? Perhaps this is a leaked version and she’s actually still working on the real thing? I don’t know, but it seems to me those within her trusted circle should be interrogated for ruining something she so honestly wanted to be published. If hadn’t been for them, no one else would have seen this draft. If this is a genuine leak and not a ploy, then that does suck for her.

14. MCHalliday
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:37:52

From Ms Meyer’s website: “I’d rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun…I’ve decided to make the draft available here.”

Colour me confused.

15. Robin
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 11:57:35

From Ms Meyer's website: “I'd rather my fans not read this version of Midnight Sun…I've decided to make the draft available here.”

Oh, I think what’s meant by that statement is that the leaked draft was earlier and rougher, so she’s releasing her current version of those twelve chapters instead — because of the errors and messy writing she refers to in her statement. Which doesn’t affect the possibility of an intentional leak, of course.

16. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 12:23:17

Wow…I posted this on another blog:

I wonder if she's using this as an excuse to not go further at this time because of the backlash of this latest book.

If it were me (and I read a few excerpts. Thank God, it's not! I think I write better than that!) it would fuel me enough to want to finish the book and make it the best possible, not abandon it because I'm traumatized.

And was soundly slapped down because I was being nasty toward the author and presuming to tell the author what to do.

I will watch these comments with great interest. :)

And thank you all for not making me feel quite alone.

17. Has
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 12:40:54

The first 14 chapters of Breaking Dawn was leaked just before its released which caused a lot of uproar, because of the events in the book. And Midnight Sun is the second time that has happened so I am not sure whether to think this is intentional or by accident but Meyer needs to tighten her security and where she sends her WIP especially with the following that she has.

18. Jennifer
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 12:50:56

*Slaps Theo Soundlessly with a borrowed trout from her friend Ma Titwonky who uses them as a regular weapon…….

Sorry I just had too. LMAO

19. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 12:56:26

Jennifer,

I’ll take that kind of a slapdown any day! LMAO2!!!

Honestly, I was making speculative comments but evidently, I’m not supposed to. *sigh* Do they really sound that bad? Maybe I don’t realize that they do.

20. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:29:29

Theo,

I’ve seen the exact same speculation in at least four other websites. I don’t think it’s that bad but I had the exact same thought.

21. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:36:27

CHH, I did find it hard to believe that other places hadn’t considered that as a possibility. Perhaps it’s just me that’s unliked which doesn’t bother me in the least since I don’t post there much anyway. But if that’s the case, good gravy be honest and tell me that.

HAS, interesting that this is the second time this has happened, the chapters being leaked to the net. Makes me wonder if someone isn’t setting a precedent here and will be doing this every time she has a new book. Because if she only sends to a select few, and she knows which copies she sent to who, she should have known the first time it happened to not do it again. Or is that too presumptuous of me?

22. Jess
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:38:14

Clearly I’ve been out of the Twilight loop for too long:

What are these four books coming out next year? And where did Robert Pattison discuss the deeply disturbing neurosis of Edward??

Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:45:52

Robert Pattison:

When you read the book,” says Pattison, looking appropriately pallid and interesting even without makeup, “it’s like, ‘Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.’ I mean, every line is like that. He’s the most ridiculous person who’s so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn’t do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that’s how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he’s a 108 year-old virgin so he’s obviously got some issues there.”

Can’t find the link to the interview about the four books planned for pub in 2009. Maybe 1 was the Twilight Guide and the other was Midnight Sun and another adult one. Can’t recall.

24. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:46:19

The leak of the BD chapters were scanned pages from a published copy someone acquired at a non-bookstore. It wasn’t the same kind of leak. When you have that many copies out there and you’re giving copies to non-booksellers who may not understand that some books can only be sold after a given date, leaks are going to happen especially if a book is as anticipated as BD was. The BD leak wasn’t from Meyer’s camp and she came down hard on the fandom with C&D letters being sent to people who were just talking about the spoilers. Going after people for talking about the spoilers didn’t win her any fans, BTW, nor did the spoilers themselves.

As for the four books next year thing, I think Meyer was planning on writing four books or maybe five. I realize that every author has her own writing process but that seems really excessive to me. Maybe she wouldn’t have as many internal mistakes and WTF moments if she’d slow down.

25. Jess
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:48:21

Thanks Jane! That was kind of fabulous. I think I love Robert Pattison, and I can’t wait to see his self-loathing Edward.

CHH, I totally agree about her slowing down. And maybe taking the time to edit as well. Just because you have over 700 pages of stuff to say about an angsty teen love, doesn’t mean that all of it adds something to story. Editing is fun!

26. B
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:49:17

The BD leak wasn't from Meyer's camp and she came down hard on the fandom with C&D letters being sent to people who were just talking about the spoilers. Going after people for talking about the spoilers didn't win her any fans, BTW, nor did the spoilers themselves.

Well, that’s only a little bit different than her reaction to this leak. /sarcasm

Wait a minute though…hasn’t Meyer herself given spoilers of her work, though?

You know, I originally thought that Rob as Edward was just silly but now I kinda love him a little.

27. Has
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:49:21

The sequel to The Host should be out next year it will be called The Soul.

28. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:52:37

Thanks, CHH. :) That does put a bit of a different spin on things. I didn’t know any of that. Still makes me wonder why she’d take the chance though, handing out ‘several copies’ from what I understand. I’d worry if it happened once, it would happen again, regardless of how.

Burn me once, shame on you, type of thing.

But then, what do I know?

29. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 13:54:10

Wait a minute though…hasn't Meyer herself given spoilers of her work, though?

She revealed that Edward and Bella were going to get married which was the most ridiculous spoiler ever. I saw that coming and I’ve only read the first ten chapters of Twilight. Everyone knew that was going to happen. It’s like me telling you that the ship was going to sink in Titanic. You can yell at me for spoiling a big event for you, but who didn’t know that was going to happen?

30. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:08:49

Haven’t had a chance to read all the comments, but is the leak intentional to draw attention away from Breaking Dawn and the overwhelming negative reactions?

31. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:11:11

She's had some definite backlash including the very public statements by the actor playing Edward that he basically hates Edward as written and thinks he's a total psycho.

Jane, what’s the source for this one?

32. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:14:39

Okay, ignore the last comment. I see the link.

33. Meljean
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:21:34

Okay, the quote from Pattison cracked me up. Now there’s an interesting way to approach portraying a character. On the other hand … that’s a really strange way to market a movie he’s going to be in.

34. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:24:13

Pattison’s thinly veiled anti-Twilight comments have won him a lot of fans who hate the book but have come to love him and want to see the movie to support his career. Well, they’re torn between wanting to see the movie to support him and wanting the movie to bomb so he can move on to better movies.

35. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:25:07

Meljean,

That was rather my thought to. I mean, as an actor, you want to portray the character people ‘love to hate’ which is generally the villain, but in this case, judging from that quote, Pattison simply hated the character. Period. So, if he felt that strongly, why take on the role? For the money?

Doesn’t quite make sense to me.

36. theon
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:27:41

CHH,

Sounds like a poor career choice to me. What if it backfires and you play the part so well, you end up typecast? Though in this case, maybe he won’t give it his best effort, in which case, he doesn’t show his best potential and still ends up in a position less likely to move forward into the big time.

Odd…

37. B
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 14:31:22

That was rather my thought to. I mean, as an actor, you want to portray the character people ‘love to hate' which is generally the villain, but in this case, judging from that quote, Pattison simply hated the character. Period. So, if he felt that strongly, why take on the role? For the money?

Who knows if he agreed to it before or after reading the book and the script, though? I mean, someone suggesting he try for the role (or asking him to take the role) wasn’t going to say “Well, you’d be playing Edward, who’s the creepy stalkerish control-freak virgin vampire with some major issues”. I dunno, maybe he agreed before he knew.

38. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:04:40

So, if he felt that strongly, why take on the role? For the money?

Pattinson’s biggest role to date has been as Cedric Diggory in GoF. A starring role in a movie with franchise potential isn’t a bad career move on paper. It all depends on the franchise though and I don’t think Twilight, if more than one movie gets made, is ever going to be a prestige franchise the same way Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, or Spiderman are.

Even if Pattinson took the role for the money, I don’t blame him when he’s in a profession where the majority of those practicing it are unemployed. These comments are coming after his exposure to some of the crazier elements of fandom and I think those encounters are souring the movie for him.

39. Jill
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:22:00

Actors in Pattinson’s position not infrequently take on roles thay may not be that fond of or for films with scripts they may think stink for the exposure and for getting the “starring” credit. It’s not THAT uncommon for an actor to subtly badmouth a character and/or film with which he’s involved … it’s just expected to be done subtly. Pattinson isn’t subtle, and needs to learn to be. Although I think some of this is an effect of being interviewed multiple times with essentially the same questions and he’s just trying to avoid repeating the exact same words over and over. The result is that his reported analysis of Edward has got more and more negative. The way he initially described him, I thought it pretty clear he believed the fellow had “issues” as he puts it, but it didn’t have quite the “nasty” edge some of the later interviews have. I think the nuttiness of the fandom is also getting to him. (I should also add that his co-star, Kristen Stewart, has been rather similarly negative about Bella, and from the teaser trailers, it almost looks like she phoned in her performance.)

All that said, I doubt he has time to have scanned all those images, or that he’d be stupid enough to do it. If he’s culpable, it’s probably only in leaving out the manuscript where somebody else could get a hold of it. But I HAVE to think he had to sign some sort of confidentiality contract to see it, and no director would want to hire him after a breach like that. He couldn’t be trusted.

40. Mireya
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:25:45

The second I found out about the leak (and this was as early as August 20th) I thought it reeked of marketing ploy.

1. It takes attention off Breaking Dawn.
    2. It creates new buzz.
    3. It gives the author a self-confidence boost (the fans are rabid and telling each other to “refrain” from getting the chapters because of Meyer’s post in her website yadda yadda).
    4. Author wrote a sub par product and this gives her the perfect excuse (plus additional time) to work on it and then release whenever she thinks it’s ready (I don’t believe for a second that it will never be released).
    5. Gives author and publisher a chance to see if regurgitating the story will actually “fly” and people will buy the book with regurgitated story.
    6. Keeps things moving pre-movie release.

I am pretty jaded and there are many holes in this (as many others have already pointed out in this thread).

On a side note, I don’t care about the movie, but from the moment I saw the trailers a few months ago, I thought that if I watch it, it would be for Pattison. I liked what I saw. And more to add: Pattison has received a LOT of hate mail from Twilight fans that think he’s not beautiful enough to play the part. I guess he doesn’t care anymore about stating what he really thinks about the character. The fans already told him they hate him.

41. Jess
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 15:47:19

That’s upsetting to hear! Poor Pattison! If it’s anyone’s fault, the stylists should be shot (especially whoever did the Entertainment Weekly cover because GOOD LORD, that was Fugly).

Anyway, I was excited to see the movie because I wanted to see how in the hell they were going to translate the crazy of the book into something that will sell on the screen. I’m doubly excited now because of Pattison’s comments (and what I’ve seen of him so far in trailers).

I don’t know if Midnight Sun will ever get published, but the last two paragraphs of Meyer’s screed make me think not. She basically says outright that she has other projects she’s focused on right now. Which is really all she had to say in the beginning if she didn’t want to finish writing Midnight Sun.

42. Jia
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:37:44

Considering the fact that some members of that fandom have actually groped him, I’m not sure I blame him. They’re not exactly giving him a good impression.

43. Robin
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:42:21

Okay, math isn’t my strength, but if Edward died in 1918 (as he and Carlisle insist in Twilight), wouldn’t that make him 90 in 2008 and 87 in 2005 when the book was published? Why does Pattison keep saying he’s 108?

As for whether Pattison hates Edward, I think he has some interesting insights into his character and Bella’s here. I always wondered how Edward would come across to an actual guy, because it was so clear to me that his portrayal in Twilight was doubly interpreted — by Bella, who sees Edward as an object of worship (Pattison has a great riff on how Edward has this strong urge to kill Bella, but she doesn’t care because she lurvs him), and by Meyer, who is a woman writing an idealized male character. Also, I wonder how much of Pattison’s view of Edward was shaped by the first section of Midnight Sun he read.

Aug 29, 2008 @ 16:46:45

He was 17? when he died. You have to add that on.

45. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:11:15

I bet you a lot of it was shaped by MS. Pattinson has said that he didn’t know how to emote “beautiful” and didn’t know how to play Edward until Meyer gave him the MS manuscript.

At the Comic-Con Twilight panel, someone asked him what kind of underwear he wore or if he went commando. If that’s not the very definition of an inapropriate question, I don’t know what is. And this wasn’t a giggly teen, it was someone who was old enough to know better.

46. Maered
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:12:37

Ok – firstly, Rob has to deal with the fanatic fans who took one look at him and said NO WAY. He is not Edward (but then who CAN be that unnaturally beautiful?)

Then his name pops up again – this time as an explanation by Meyer regarding the fan reaction to Breaking Dawn. She called it the “Rob Effect”. Apparently, fans who didn’t like him at first love him now, and fans who hate BD will love it after a few weeks. You know, because fans are fickle. *rolls eyes* I’m not surprised the guy has issue with Edward.

Sorry, but Meyer should really keep her mouth shut about the BD backlash. She digs herself deeper with every “explanation” she gives.

47. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:14:50

CHH said:

At the Comic-Con Twilight panel, someone asked him what kind of underwear he wore or if he went commando. If that's not the very definition of an inapropriate question, I don't know what is. And this wasn't a giggly teen, it was someone who was old enough to know better.

*sigh* All I can say is, ya gotta remember…

You can’t fix stupid…

48. Robin
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:16:37

He was 17? when he died. You have to add that on.

Oh, yeah, duh. But that still makes him only 104 in 2005 when the book was released. It’s not exactly like he continues to age at the same rate time proceeds outside the novels.

Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:20:49

Thinking about edward as 100+ year old with a teen kind of skeeves me out. Stop. You are ruining the first book for me. I might not be able to go back and re-read the book.

Although I probably won’t anyway because of the debacle the series has become. I actually bought Twilight in hardcover and was going to save it for my daughter but now, after reading the entirety of the series, I’m going to tote it to half price bookstore. I’m sure there will be another skeevy, devaluing of woman, potato chip like series to read when she comes of age.

50. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:28:42

Thinking about edward as 100+ year old with a teen kind of skeeves me out.

I told the women in my office that the Twilight saga promotes, among other things, pedophilia and necrophilia and got a lot of narrowed-eyed looks aimed at me.

51. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:30:13

ROFL, Ann! I wonder why! I’m sorry, that just struck me as funny, even though you’re right. It really does in it’s literal form…

52. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:30:57

Oh, I understand that vampires sparkle in Meyer’s world. Are they like walking disco balls?

53. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:36:52

Why did I just have a picture of John Travolta in a white suit flash before my eyes?

54. Jody W.
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:37:47

Jane — I bought Angel and Spike with Buffy despite the “age” differences. I guess it depends on how it’s played in the book or on screen. But then, neither Angel nor Spike pretended to be eternal high school students.

55. TA ADMIN
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:40:13

BASED ON STEPHENIE’S RECENT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT MIDNIGHT SUN & THE LEAK, WE @ TWILIGHTERSANONYMOUS.COM ARE ACTUALLY TAKING ACTION AND SHOWING STEPHENIE OUR SUPPORT W/ HER DECISION.

IF YOU AGREE WITH US, PLS CONTINUE READING…

SUBMIT YOUR LETTERS TO STEPHENIE! SHOW HER YOUR SUPPORT!

STEPHENIE BREAKS HER SILENCE ABOUT MIDNIGHT SUN:

WHAT TWILIGHTERSANONYMOUS.COM IS DOING ABOUT IT
    TA in return are gathering letters of support for Stephenie which we’ll later send directly to her once we’ve accumulated enough.

FOR THE FULL DETAILS, CLICK HERE:

We here @ TA are looking forward to receiving your letters.
    But act fast so that we can send these in an appropriate & timely manner.

56. Ann Bruce
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:45:00

Theo — I won’t be able to watch SNF anymore.

Jody — The Scooby Gang, including Cordelia, came off as a lot more mature than Bella. They’re not emoteens or insanely obsessive. Joss Whedon created strong, multi-layered characters and I can’t imagine comparing them with Meyers’. (Of course, please keep in mind I only read three chapters of Twilight last week, regretted it, and will be returning the book to the library.)

57. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 17:49:00

Ann, I truly hope I didn’t ruin a special thing for you ;)

Okay, throw your rocks now because, although I was a Scooby afficianado, I have never seen an episode of Buffy…however, that said, if Scooby was more mature, I’m glad, so very glad, I didn’t get past the excerpts!!

58. DS
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 19:19:29

I’ve been watching this also. I first ran into it on Amazon’s discussion boards. I rechecked the first post and it was dated 8/21. They’ve also been passing around copies of what is supposed to be the movie scripts.

Does this mean she wasn’t under contract to write MS?

59. Jia
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 19:35:20

They've also been passing around copies of what is supposed to be the movie scripts.

A leak of the movie script has been available online for several weeks now. Since at least the week before Breaking Dawn was released. I seem to recall the leak of Breaking Dawn and the leak of the movie script coming out within a couple days of each other.
    I could be wrong though. The various wanks surrounding this series have started blurring together in my mind, there are so many.

60. CHH
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:05:13

The first Twilight script leak came out around July 26. The Breaking Dawn leaks were three or four days later.

61. Popin
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:19:46

If the leak wasn’t intentionally done to get the heat off of Breaking Dawn, then I feel really bad for Meyer.

To be fair, I think the same can be said about the Buffy/Angel relationship.

I haven’t read the series yet and probably won’t for awhile. I’m number 468 at my library for a copy of Twilight, but from what I’ve heard it isn’t too bad. I know Breaking Dawn got a lot of criticism, but Twilight was mostly loved by everyone.

62. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:31:33

I think the same can be said about the Buffy/Angel relationship

But that was meant to be creepy (reinforced by the Angelus storyline at the end of season 2, in which he exhibits some Edward-like behavior that I don’t think it supposed to be found romantic), which is why it ultimately didn’t work out.

E/B, on the other hand, gets presented as something that is good and whatever because. . .well, I don’t know why. Stalking, breaking Bella’s car so she can’t visit her friends, kidnapping her and telling her what to do is seen as okay – romantic even – because he loves her (and won’t have premarital sex).

(SM could probably write great horror if she left out the sparkling and HEA and Loch Ness Monsters.)

I loved Breaking Dawn, but not, I think, in the way Meyer intended. It’s horrific/cracktastic in ways no one could have predicted.

if Scooby was more mature, I'm glad, so very glad, I didn't get past the excerpts!!

Heh. The Scooby Gang is what Buffy and her friends were called because they solved supernatural mysteries; there was a reference in one of the episodes to Scooby Doo, and I guess it stuck. And Scooby was probably more mature — or at least had a personality that did not equal Mary Sue.

63. Jia
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:47:19

SM could probably write great horror

Did Breaking Dawn‘s birthing scene remind you of Alien too?

64. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 20:56:11

Did Breaking Dawn's birthing scene remind you of Alien too?

EWWWWWWW! Yuck! Blech! that’s…just wrong!

65. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:03:10

Need I warn for BD spoilers?

I haven’t seen Alien (I really don’t like horror, despite my love of Whedon shows (and, uh, Supernatural*)), but that scene in BD was one of the goriest things I’ve ever read. OMG. Must fade to black during the (pillow-biting) sex scenes, but it’s okay to show spine-snapping, fountains of gushing blood and a c-section by vampire teeth in detail. I guess this goes along with the whole “In an attempt to keep the books clean and not make young girls think about things that they don’t need to think about, no other book mentioned anything about reproductive systems.” o.O

*Boys! Pretty, pretty boys! and lovely boy!angst. Plot? What plot?

66. Anon
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:05:19

Well as some people from a notorious online community put it:
    Ms Meyer would actually got some sympathy for the leak if she hadn’t basically reacted with what is basically an author’s flounce
    “You’re mean to me. I’m taking my toys and going home”

which is why they are also speculating it MAY have been an intended leak to the fallout of BD. Fandom are kind of used to this strategy taken by wannabe BNF. They also said that she’s still at the stage where her books are her children and any attack on it is personal as she doesn’t really have a filter where her books and herself is separate

What is funny though, when she said she doesn’t want anyone to read THAT version and then post an official version of the same draft, still full of the unedited mistakes.

Someone also pointed out Midnight Sun might have been interesting if it is set as a prequel to Twilight, instead of just a rehash. But then it would need research (gasp what’s that) which is something Ms Meyer is not really known to be strong at.

67. DS
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:07:24

Handyhunter:

Whenever someone lists Edward’s behaviors I start seeing flashbacks of women in jeopardy movies. The guy who is too good to be true, but is just a little off at first, and finally turns out to be a serial killer.

Also the idea of him sitting in a rocking chair in the corner of her room watching her sleep is just an awesomely creepy image.

68. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:10:27

Wouldn’t it make for a great horror movie?

It’s almost like SM wrote a parody of the vampire/horror genre. . .but not, because there’s no hint of irony/awareness to any of the writing (except maybe the Jacob Black chapter titles, but I think that was unintentional).

69. Jia
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:21:26

I thought the Jacob Black chapter titles were the best part of the book myself.

70. Popin
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:23:34

E/B, on the other hand, gets presented as something that is good and whatever because. . .well, I don't know why. Stalking, breaking Bella's car so she can't visit her friends, kidnapping her and telling her what to do is seen as okay – romantic even – because he loves her (and won't have premarital sex).

handyhunter, it’s things like that, that make me slightly scared to read Twilight. I’ve heard about what Edward does and he does sound slightly creepy, but I simply assumed that if when I finally read it, it might sound differently. Almost in a..um..romantic protective way?

Actually it doesn’t. :(

71. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:34:42

Almost in a..um..romantic protective way?

According to Meyer, yes, that’s EXACTLY what it is. He knows what’s best for her! He lays out the boundaries for their relationship! etc, etc. Even in context of him being a vampire and her being just a helpless little girl — well, no…actually, that makes it more creepy, and the power imbalance between them even more disturbing.

(Which might be something interesting to explore, but of course Meyer does not. It probably couldn’t result in a HEA anyway, without the Mary Sue-ing, dues ex machinas and sparkling.)

There’s a huge disconnect between the story Meyer intends to tell (Edward as the most dashing romantic hero that ever heroed) and what ends up on the page; part of the problem, I think, is that she does a lot of telling – outside the books, too (if your stories need that much clarification, perhaps something is wrong with the writing), which is how Midnight Sun was born (no one was ‘getting’ Edward properly (it’s not just R.Pattz!)) – and figures everything should be taken on the surface level (or you’re reading the books wrong): Edward says he loves Bella and won’t ever hurt her, so that’s the way it is, never mind his odd habits, to put it mildly. …Not that it takes much scrutiny to see the ick factor in B/E’s relationship.

And for all of Meyer’s protests that the series is “anti-human, not anti-female”. . . there is a lot of evidence to the contrary, and not just because of Bella.

72. Julia Sullivan
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 21:35:15

The Sparkledammerung goes on and on and on….

73. theo
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 22:07:54

Okay, call me really stupid, but I thought that TA Admin post was a joke…

*sigh*

Aug 29, 2008 @ 22:15:35

Yeah, I had to fish it out of the spam folder and I paused, but figured, everything that is not spam has to go through.

75. handyhunter
    Aug 29, 2008 @ 23:15:36

I thought that TA Admin post was a joke…

Twilight means never having to say you’re kidding. (â„¢ someone over at f_w, I think.)

76. Jia
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 03:57:32

“In an attempt to keep the books clean and not make young girls think about things that they don't need to think about, no other book mentioned anything about reproductive systems.”

I didn’t much care for that statement by Meyer’s brother the first time I read it. I care for it even less now.

that scene in BD was one of the goriest things I've ever read. OMG. Must fade to black during the (pillow-biting) sex scenes, but it's okay to show spine-snapping, fountains of gushing blood and a c-section by vampire teeth in detail.

Seriously. If I were a ten-year-old girl reading this book, I probably would have been traumatized by the birth scene.

77. theo
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 07:35:27

I think if I were a ten-year-old girl reading this book, I probably would NEVER let a boy touch me as long as I live!! What kind of scene is that to put in a book for young adults?

Honestly, even ‘adult’ romance has younger readers, you can’t get away from that, but you write for the adults who read you. In this case, she’s aimed at a specific, young-adult market and that just has to be one of the worst things I think any young girl can read. Call me old fashioned but even when I was that age, it would have made me gross out!
    GAH!

Twilight means never having to say you're kidding. (â„¢ someone over at f_w, I think.)

Now That’s funny!!! I had to investigate so I clicked on that site. Lucky I got out with my mind in tact!!!

78. Mouse
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 08:36:55

Watching fan reaction started with Breaking Dawn has been like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know it’s horrible. You know it’s only going to get nastier. You know you want to look away . . . but you can’t. The upcoming movie promos are only gonna make the craziness escalate, and the Midnight Sun leak only ramps it up.

Who leaked the book and why is almost made irrelevant to be because of S. Meyers reaction. She pulled the classic whining, flouncing author move of holding the rest of her book ransom now unless the fans kiss her feet for it, all implied of course. Leaking the 12 chapter is just dangling the carrot to the fans then telling them they’re not getting the whole things is just to get them to gush her with support and a false sense of security that’s she’s still, like, the best author ever. Self-important fanfiction authors do this all the time, holding stories ransom until they feel enough people have reviewed it.

If she cared about the world she made and the characters, she’d finished the book already (and use a stronger editor who would make her fix her writing problems already). This move is clearly about herself to me, not doing right by fans, or else she would have just acknowledged the leaks, her personal feelings, and left it at that.

Oh, and theo, f_w is Fandom Wank, which last time I checked wasn’t too mind bending . . . much, except for the boobie trains maybe. What exactly did you stumble upon? O.o

79. theo
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 09:07:47

Mouse, I don’t know if you saw this earlier post from TAAdmin, but they included this link:

I unfortunately clicked on that link and now need to scrub the experience from my mind if that’s possible…

And not having thought much about it, I have to agree with your comment about SM holding her book almost as ransom to drive the fans into a ‘YOU-MUST-PUBLISH-THIS-WE-CAN’T-LIVE-WITHOUT-IT’ frenzy.

*sigh*

80. Robin
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 10:49:36

Question: to those of you who feel the books are “creepy,” would the series come across to you that way if it were aimed at adults rather than YA? I am still in Eclipse, but am feeling that Twilight, at least, was an extremely conventional Romance, even more conservative than most paranormal Romance.

81. handyhunter
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 11:14:45

82. Robin
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 12:16:58

But why? Is it the age issue? What if Bella were a few years older, or Edward hadn’t died at seventeen? I’m trying to understand, I guess, how so many adult readers have glommed the series, but with the last book there seemed to be a rising chorus of objections to having the series aimed at younger readers. How is this series any different than the Romance featuring the self-loathing, needs to be emotionally healed alpha hero and the innocent and devoted, doesn’t recognize her own allure heroine?

83. Mouse
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 13:39:41

@ Robin –

:\ You’re asking for it.

Most of the objections to the last book, Breaking Dawn, and I’m sorry if I’m about to spoil the book, stem from Bella’s pregnancy, which, according to S. Meyer’s own canon, wasn’t possible no matter what excuses she give after the fact. Add into this the utter horror of her daughter’s birth (c-section via vamp teeth), and the fact that Jacob imprints on the half-breed baby, and fans young and old got majorly wigged out.

The other major differences is that the characterization of both Bella and Edward is non-existent at best. Bella says she’s clumsy, but that’s her only visible flaw (except for her whining and general emo selfish personality). The rest of the time, she’s perfect. Nothing really happens in the course of the books that fundamentally changes her more than that.

Edward is flat (Meyers says he has hobbies, but fails to mention one or why) and is similarly labled as perfection to Bella . . . except for the fact that he routinely stalks her, making their relationship more borderline abuse than really romance. There’s no equality in their relationship, but Bella still acts as if it’s normal for her boyfriend to tear the engine out of her trunk, forgiving him cause he cares about her.

In the end, despite their relationship, Bella gets everything she wants. She gets Edward, and marries him. She gets to lose her virginity to Edward. She gets a perfect baby without 3 AM feeding calls or terrible twos. She gets vamped and gains superpowers beyond the other Cullens. She doesn’t have to break Jacob’s heart after all because he imprints on her kid. She gets to be a part of a supernatural family while ditching her non-existent human parents. She gets out of the main conflict with no bloodshed on their part, saves everyone, and doesn’t have to go to college or really work for a living.

All in all, she gets a happy ending with no sacrifice on her part and gets everything she wants with minimal effort or fuss. There’s really no journey, no conflict, no sacrifices made, and nothing lost except Bella’s mortality, which she and everyone else sees as a good thing. At least in most romances, the innocent heroine at least has to either work at something to get her happy ending.

The Twilight series has also been built up as the successor to Potter, while the two have almost nothing in common, not even sales. The Potter characters actually had to deal with death, loss, failure, and growing up even with the magical powers. Bella got it handed to her in a single bite. What some people dislike also is the message it sends to all the young girls picking it up with the adults, that an ideal relationship inherently abusive, that it’s ok for your boyfriend to stalk and control you, that because ‘he love me and is only protecting me’ is a viable excuse for what a guy does to his girlfriend.

Being that Bella is also very co-dependent on him and generally helpless without him doesn’t help matters either.

::pants:: Does this help explain reservations about the books?

84. Lynne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 14:27:46

I have exactly the same problem with them, Mouse, and I cringed when I heard someone in the media float the idea that Meyer is a successor to Rowling. I believe Rowling will still be read decades from now. If I had to put money on it, I’d say Meyer’s books’ popularity won’t last past THIS decade.

85. Robin
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 14:33:22

Mouse, I get everything you’re saying. And in general, I definitely see the reservations. What I don’t totally get is how some of the critiques are coming from Romance readers who either loved the first books in the series or read what I would consider very similar books within straight Romance for grownups. Does that makes sense? In other words, how is this Romance between Bella and Edward different from many pairings in the genre between an innocent heroine and an alpha (I’ll go one step further and add vampiric) hero? Would there be the same objections is Bella was 24 and Edward 35 + 90 years? IMO there are LOTS of creepy things in Romance more generally that don’t get this kind of outrage. So why these books?

Let me also add that I have many problems with these books, not the least of which is that by book 2 Bella can only identify herself in relation to the men in her world, that she goes from being supposedly independent to incredibly selfish in her relationship with Jacob, and that her resistance to Edward’s proposal IMO comes out of NOWHERE and looks mostly like artificial conflict construction to me. Just to start with, lol. But I have a lot of these complaints about some straight adult Romances, too.

Aug 30, 2008 @ 14:37:29

I think the pedophilia aspect is more heightened with the imprinting storyline that Meyer’s introduces in subsequent books (beyond Twilight). Imprinting wasn’t an issue in Twilight. Further, because these books are targeted/marketed toward the teen audience and any pickup/overlap into the adult market is a happy accident, the critique of messaging is stronger.

The imprinting of infants all by older males is then re inforced by the age differential between Edward and Stephanie. I.e., if you left it at Twilight, the contrast wouldn’t be so stark, but drag it out over four books with alot of to do made about the age difference coupled with the imprinting of two infants, then you arguable can begin to see a pattern.

87. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 18:12:24

It seems to be that Edward was written the same as many adult romance heros are. Greek Tycoon, anyone?

It was interesting to read a real guy’s take on trying to play that kind of character. *L* I found that hilarious.

Many of the complaints leveled at the Twilight series could be leveled at many Harlequins, etc. I guess it doesn’t bother me when this is written for grown women, but directing it at young girls disturbs me to no end. Unless their parents are back there doing some explaining.

88. handyhunter
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 18:13:11

But why? Is it the age issue? What if Bella were a few years older, or Edward hadn't died at seventeen? I'm trying to understand, I guess, how so many adult readers have glommed the series, but with the last book there seemed to be a rising chorus of objections to having the series aimed at younger readers. How is this series any different than the Romance featuring the self-loathing, needs to be emotionally healed alpha hero and the innocent and devoted, doesn't recognize her own allure heroine?

Because it’s so much worse? And popular. I think those other books do get this same kind of treatment, but there are not as many people reading them, so it doesn’t get the same kind of press Meyer’s books do. The question, imo, is why Meyer’s books have gained such an audience — they’re sort of like a trainwreck you can’t look away from. Or twinkies you know are bad for you but can’t help eating, to borrow cleolinda’s analogy (her commentaries point out some of the draws to the series, as well as snarking at all the fail).

The issues in Meyer’s writing have been there from the start; it’s only gotten more and more blatant as the series went on, imo (and the first 12 chapters of MS do nothing to dispel the stalker!Edward tendencies; in fact, it does quite the opposite), like whatever mainstream slickness that might hook a reader onto Twilight has fallen away more with each book. BD was the straw that broke many, many backs — or, perhaps, some readers gained a bit more perspective/critical thinking skills by that point.

Twilight was creepy to me right from the start because of the imbalance in power between Bella and Edward. Silly me, I thought this might be deliberate (though not in the Man Is Always Right/Morally Superior; Woman Must Subsume Her Identity In His kind of way — it’s not just the age thing; I have the impression this is the way Meyer sees things as Natural and Right, and even at 30 or 50, the relationship would still be Edward > Bella) and something SM would address in the later books (even with all the purple prose and sparkling I thought this; clearly I need my head examined). She didn’t (needless to say?) and the issues keep piling on from there.

Edward’s stalking, manipulative and controlling tendencies are never addressed, except to make them WORSE. Bella never stands up for herself — or when she does, it’s to put herself in a TSTL position from which Edward must save her (I don’t know if Meyer thinks this is empowering or whatnot).

When Edward leaves (for a short time in NM), the only way Bella can move on is if she’s got another guy in her life (Jacob — who gets Edwardified in Eclipse, much to the horror of many Jacob-fans, because he pretty much forces himself on Bella (but it was just a kiss and she liked it later so it’s all okay! Plus, Charlie, Bella’s dad, likes him better than Edward and congratulated him on forcing a kiss on Bella).

And that was a triangle of Much Contrivedness. Not that there isn’t much that is not contrived and convenient for the sake of Mary Sue-ing Bella and Edward, and to give their relationship some sort of plot, at this point. She gives no reason for Bella wanting to be vamped, but not wanting to get married, other than oops! forgot the conflict for this story.

Meyer keeps protesting that the series is “anti-human, not anti-female”* (which, when fans are asking if the series is anti-female, it might be the first tip that there’s something wrong here), except she keeps disproving this, with her treatment of her female characters, be they human, vampire or werewolf. Plus, there’s the whole baby craze (no woman of any species is complete without one (or five), but only vampire and werewolf males can reproduce (except Bella, or course), wft, smeyer?). And there’s Meyer’s tendency to make her characters follow her own beliefs without explaining why her supposedly secular characters would behave that way — but that might require giving them a personality and de-Sue-ing them a bit; as it is, it’s pretty much the only “characterization” they get.

Although, that might be one of the draws to the series. SM’s refusal to write sex scenes or swear words (but violence and gore, yay!!) and Edward’s I’m-More-Moral-Than-You, Undeserving Females (who must be protected/sheltered and not allowed to think about things girls don’t need to be thinking about) stance had gotten the series touted as “clean” or something: it’s “safe” for everyone to read! (ignore the pesky issues!) I’m not sure if this changes after BD — though the characters don’t have sex until after marriage, so it’s probably considered alright still.

*This is one example of how Meyer “tells, not shows”. She doesn’t see all the problems in her writing (and has said that if readers don’t like the books, they’re just reading it wrong) and I think pretty much expects readers to take the books at face value — ie, if Edward says he loves Bella and is stalking/controlling her for her own good, then it’s fine because he loves her and all that. Or, Bella is okay with it so readers ought to be okay with it too! — never mind what’s actually happening. Although even at face value, there’s a lot to be creeped out about; it’s not like one has to look very closely at the text to find stalker!Edward.

In case you think I’m over-stating the problems, here’s a quote from Midnight Sun:

And then she started to walk away from me.

Without thinking about my action, I reached out and caught her by the back of her rain jacket. She jerked to a stop.

“Where do you think you’re going?” I was almost angry that she was leaving me. I hadn’t had enough time with her. She couldn’t go, not yet.

The creepiest part? Is that the creepy part is unintentional. This is what Meyer thinks is romantic or a good quality for a romantic hero to have. There’s no hint of awareness or irony at all in the books.

Contrast all this with, say, Kelley Armstrong’s Clayton Danvers, who is a pushy, overbearing and overprotective alpha-type, and Elena Michaels, who is pushed around/manipulated, but only to an extent and eventually develops a relationship with Clayton in which both are equals (in part because Clay realizes what an ass he’s being and backs off). None of that happens in the Twilight series. Bella becoming a vampire is a dues ex machina, not character development (and that’s not even getting into what message that sends, that in order to keep a guy or be seen as “strong”, you have to change your entire species for him); although, vamp!Bella is far less annoying than human!Bella, despite the exponential increase in Mary Sue-ness.

89. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 18:32:58

Plus, Charlie, Bella's dad, likes him better than Edward and congratulated him on forcing a kiss on Bella).

handyhunter, you’re kidding me, right? *blinks*

90. Mouse
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 18:48:39

Unfortunately, Handyhunter isn’t kidding. It’s in Eclipse.

As someone else said earlier, Twilight means never having to say you’re kidding.

91. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 19:07:23

Ya know, out of everything that’s been discussed, that had the power to floor me.

That is suppose to be perfectly normal? That is not normal. How many parents here would be infuriated? Or am I the only one? I don’t think I know any parents who would react in a congratulatory way.

As much as I am a believer in the freedom to read what you want to read, I think something like that needs serious discussion before my daughter can read it.

92. theo
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 19:15:00

And THAT, Shayne, is what I think so many of us find wrong with the books. The males, all I understand except for Bella’s almost non-existent father, are control freaks who look at Bella like a…*thing* to be played with on their terms and Bella has no say in it.

And I, as a parent, are in the same camp as you. WAY serious discussion, because we can’t really say we didn’t read an alpha male in some book when we were younger who made an impression on what we’d like to have in a man. I’d have to shoot the boy my daughter brought home if he was like Edward (sans vampire…or…) I have a shovel and back up to a nature preserve…he wouldn’t be missed.

But I digress.

I think it’s the impression the younger set is getting that having a boy treat you like that, think about you like that, is just peachy. And oh, the added bonus is that he’s the one who doesn’t want to consummate the relationship. At least for a while anyway…

Sheesh!!

93. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 19:40:35

theo, I’m sitting here, wondering why the author didn’t see something wrong with that picture. That’s just too many levels of you’re fricking kidding me.

All of us are used to the alpha male and TSTL heroine in romance. And quite a few know it’s fun to read, but you’d kill if you had a boyfriend like that. I think some teenagers can make that distinction, but from what I’ve read of the fanbase, a lot of them aren’t. So I think you’re right on that.

I just asked my daughter if she’d heard of the books, and apparently some of her friends have read them and she would wants to. This will be a series of books we will read together.

94. theo
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 20:06:33

And I, as a parent, are??? Yeesh! I must have had serious grammar farts when I typed that one! Really that whole post is…

Okay, never mind that.

Shayne, yes, if my girls were younger, this would be one of those books I’d have read with them and discussed with them. (They’re both in college now) But I think that’s a huge problem with a lot of tweens and teens. They are reading, the parent is thrilled they’re reading at all, so don’t really question the material as long as it’s labeled YA.

From the various discussions and all the excerpts I’ve read, I’m not sure you really *can* put it into the young adult category though it’s really not adult either.

I do know that I cringe at the thought of how many ten-year-olds are reading this right now and thinking that’s the kind of boy for them because Bella thinks he’s perfect and they want to be her.

*sigh*

95. handyhunter
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 21:11:11

I think some teenagers can make that distinction, but from what I've read of the fanbase, a lot of them aren't.

There seems to be a pretty substantial part that is made up of moms/adults who take the series seriously or also think Edward is the best thing ever.

handyhunter, you're kidding me, right? *blinks*

Even better, in Breaking Dawn, Charlie does a 180 and is suddenly supportive of B/E’s marriage. His biggest concern is telling Bella’s mom (who as it turns out, is ALSO okay with the marriage for unknown reasons, despite her previous feelings regard marrying so young). Continuity, what’s that?

96. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 22:31:38

theo, in a way, it is no different from sneak reading a mother’s Harlequins in the 70’s when one was only 10. *coughs* But then, those books were not specifically marketed to young girls. That’s probably what is irking me at this point about Twilight.

I can see Robin’s point in there’s not much difference between Twilight and what gets sold as adult romance fare. I have to agree there’s no real difference at all, except the age of the reader it is marketed to.

handyhunter, I think those women are called TwiMoms, and if they haven’t figured out why it would suck to have a real boyfriend like Edward, I’m not sure anything anybody could say can convince them. Either that or hopefully they already know why which is why their husbands aren’t like Edward. *snickers*

97. theo
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 22:53:40

Shayne, I do agree that in many ways it’s probably not much different however (and I’m really going to show my age here) I read Manfreya in the Morning, in hardback, when it was new, clandestinely, under the covers with a flashlight.

However, I think one of the points is, and maybe I’m wrong here, a true romance, at least the ones I grew up on and admittedly, I read every Victoria Holt written, contains a H/Hn that have redeeming qualities they display throughout the story and a desire (though they may not realize it at the time) to…can’t think of the word I need here, but they grow to become emotional equals who share in the relationship. Maybe all the excerpts I’ve read (and I think with all of them, I’ve been able to read almost each book in its entirety there are so many out there! :shock: ) are not giving me a true picture but what I see is an ignored teenaged girl, plain, she claims she’s clumsy but we don’t see that, who attracts the ‘best looking boy’ in school. He just happens to be a vampire who treats her like less than a plant but claims he loves her and she accepts that.

Neither one of the really has a redeeming quality that the reader sees throughout the stories, so who do you ‘root’ for? Couple that with the very bizarre backstories going on, the inconsistencies, and no real balance of power achieved yet between the H/Hn and it becomes something that only glorifies to a ten or twelve year old girl, a relationship that is controlling, and one sided where Edward is the cat and Bella is the mouse. And he constantly toys with.

I would hate to have my daughters so caught up in the stories that they believes that’s life. I’m going to probably get myself in trouble with some, I believe in equal pay for equal jobs but I also want my daughters to understand that a woman should be cherished while at the same time, her thoughts, feelings, and input should matter just as much as his. That still hasn’t happened as far as I can tell through how many books?

As far as the TwiMoms? Now I’ll really get shot here but I’m wondering if their own relationship or lack thereof is so bad it’s easy to imagine themselves in the excitement of a relationship with a bad boy like Edward without any consequences.

Sorry, am rambling. *sigh* Don’t mean to. I shall shut up now. :-)

98. Shayne
    Aug 30, 2008 @ 23:34:23

*L* Go ahead and ramble, theo. I do it too.

To be honest, I stopped reading m/f a while back simply because of the formula of overbearing male, brainless or dependent female. I’ve missed whatever may have been written in the last several years that doesn’t follow that formula. My closest is Kim Harrison, and her books aren’t all about the romance.

The last up to date ‘romance’ I read was by a Top Ten NY bestseller, I was bashed over the head with how sexy the hero was, how the women around him would die if he didn’t f*** them, the heroine inspired naught but my contempt. I’ve not been tempted to pick up a romance since.

Anyway, I’m still going on what I read years ago and the fact the Greek Tycoon blackmailing with the secret baby is STILL on Harlequin’s top ten list, and the one romance I was unfortunate enough to read a few months ago. There’s not much redeeming there that I see, and I hate that blackmailing plotline btw. I can dismiss Twilight like I do those formulaic romances as just so much drivel to me.

It also sounds like the author wrote characters and situations she believed would appeal to young girls. The not so beautiful, non-cheerleader gets the dreamily handsome male to die for. Details unnecessary, just drool over their kisses. That’s a downright appeal to female fantasy. The adult women are on their own if Edward is their idea of a man worth marrying. And I’ve often thought some women, like the TwiMoms probably have relationships that have fallen short and they have nothing but the fantasy. It’s a theory about some of them. I think and hope most enjoy it like a train wreck.

Also adult writers write the same for their contemporaries. Is this good or bad? I don’t know. I won’t read it, but I won’t deny somebody who wants to read it and thinks it’s great. Apparently it is selling to a lot of folks or that one writer would NOT have been on the NY top ten. That really scared me on many levels, let me tell you.

On this subject, I just know I’m sure as hell not going to let my daughter read it without a balancing opinion on exactly why Twilight might interesting as a fantasy, but you really don’t want a boyfriend like that. Plus I’m hoping other parents do the same.

Now I’m rambling. I’ll shut up now too.

99. Shannon
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 16:45:55

It seems kind of telling that the inspiration for Twilight came to Ms. Meyers in a dream. The entire story kind of ran like one, where things dont really connect right when you think about it, random stuff just happens for no apparent reason. It seems like the author took the dream and ran with it and never actually sat down to consider the dream as it might pertain to reality.

And she needed to do it.

And as a teen who has read the series since 7th grade…it is very, very well loved, and I can say right now that beyond thinking Edward/Jacob is the hottest thing ever (not Edward on Jacob, though I’m sure that has some follower ;-) ) there isnt really a whole lot of consideration given to any undertones in the stories…

I’m thinking that this year, though, with the huge BD backlash, there are going to be smack downs during lunch worthy of the 7th Harry Potter’s book ending, which some (read: me) very vocally disliked.

100. Robin
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 18:02:41

I really appreciate the recent posts on this thread, and as I said earlier, I agree with many of the criticisms of the books. I am bothered, as a reader, by the way Bella becomes more and more dependent on Edward rather than less. I kept hoping that her character would progress the other way, and it seems even stranger to me that in order for things to go the way they have, some of the secondary characters have had to change abruptly themselves. That makes me feel like there was no grand plan for the series, and in some ways the books seem to have progressed in such a way as to make the romance between Bella and Edward central to the books, which may be why readers have become more and more disenchanted — because in order for that focus to narrow, other things have had to adjust and in some cases change direction.

I still wonder whether readers who object to these books for teenage girls feel the same about Romances that these young girls are reading, too. I mean, most Romance readers start really early, right, like in their early teens? So does that mean these teenagers shouldn’t be reading adult Romance, either, because the reality is that some adult Romances contain similar dynamics to those in this series. Although this series is definitely aimed at a YA readership, which perhaps makes the reaction stronger– I don’t know.

One thing seems clear to me, though: for all the talk of how books don’t affect readers, the substantive critiques of this series seem to frustrate that argument. Which gets sticky, of course, because we don’t want to get back into that place where we worry that every book is dangerous to its reader. But there is clearly an anxiety with this series that it’s sending some scary messages to young women, and I wonder if it isn’t easier to delve into those questions with a YA series rather than with regular adult Romance, where many readers are less comfortable examining potential messages in the books.

A fascinating subject, nonetheless.

And as I was thinking about these posts yesterday, I was reminded of this old story by Joyce Carol Oates, “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?,” which IMO would make an interesting companion piece to the Meyer books. The story, for those who are unfamiliar with it, can be read here, and it was even made into a film, Smooth Talk, starring Laura Dern and Treat Williams. The story was apparently inspired by several murders of young women, but it always struck me as a meditation on the sexual, physical, and emotional vulnerability of girls who are undertaking the difficult and volatile process of maturing into women. Which, I guess, is why the discussion of the Meyer series got me thinking about it again.

101. theo
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 18:13:20

Robin, I think the thing about these books that many find so much of a grrrr with is, and this is based on my own experience only:

When I read romance novels at a very early age, I understood I was reading *adult* material. As such, I also understood that what I read was geared to an adult audience and the mores and ideas that go with.

In this case though, there are so many cringe-worthy things that adults are going EWWW over but the book is aimed at the YA market and so, they might be more inclined to think “well, that’s all right then, isn’t it? because this book is a book for ME.”

At least, for me, that’s how I’m looking at it. The adult novels I read were juicy little slices of being a bad girl as I read them. These novels almost give the YA reader the impression that everything between the covers is a fine thing to do or have.

And that probably doesn’t make sense, but that’s my take on it.

102. Robin
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 18:26:35

theo, I understand what you’re saying, and I suspect that a lot of readers would agree with you. And I agree that the YA focus and address amps up the issues in a particularly creepy way. But I also think that it’s impossible to completely separate a series like this one from adult Romance novels that teens are reading, even though it might not be comfortable for some readers to consider the similarities between the Twilight books and some adult Romance novels. Because I’ve read some pretty creepy adult Romance, too, lol.

103. theo
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 18:33:52

LOL, Robin! Agreed! Though I have to admit, the really creepy ones…I don’t bother to finish.

I don’t know. I have two daughters who are now in college and they were both always very…”It’s a perfectly good book mom! It’s not an adult story. It’s a story for my age.” Which I suppose is fine if you’re not throwing birth by vampire teeth at them when they’re ten or twelve. That creeps me out as an adult! (probably because both girls were C’s)

I just think it’s easy for them to justify believing the stuff because it’s geared for them as opposed to “geez mom, you adults are weird”

But again, I can only base my perceptions based on my experiences. So I suppose ultimately, there isn’t any right or wrong anything to be found. And as such, the debate will rage on. ;-)

104. handyhunter
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 20:58:13

I object to these books, period. For any reader, YA or adult. Or, well, it’s more that I object to reading them without any sort of critical outlook (because I sekritly sort of enjoy them, when I’m not wanting to throw them against the wall; I don’t usually read romance novels like this, though — or if I used to, which I probably did when I was younger, I’ve outgrown my tolerance/enjoyment of them).

Although this series is definitely aimed at a YA readership, which perhaps makes the reaction stronger- I don't know.

One thing seems clear to me, though: for all the talk of how books don't affect readers, the substantive critiques of this series seem to frustrate that argument.

One book or series probably isn’t going to bring down civilization as we know it, but it adds to the. . .existing problems, eg, how women are portrayed in media. And the Twilight series is promoted as something that’s good for kids to read because it’s all clean and wholesome (and creepy, but let’s ignore that part). It also adds to the skewed view on sex vs violence; killing people – especially women/girls – is fine to show in explicit detail, but more than a chaste (or forced) kiss? Oh noes! Think of the kids!

105. Robin
    Aug 31, 2008 @ 22:01:54

One book or series probably isn't going to bring down civilization as we know it, but it adds to the. . .existing problems, eg, how women are portrayed in media.

I’ve never believed that there is a one-to-one reader to book relationship that impacts people, although I know that any particular reader can be moved strongly by a book. But in terms of altering a person in any fundamental or lasting way, I’ve never really bought into that argument. But yes, I do think that cultural representations matter, that they do affect us all (look at how women in the US view the female body). But that is obviously a much more difficult and amorphous thing to analyze.

This definitely disturbs me — the idea that violence is so much more acceptable than sex, and I even think we see it in Romance quite a bit. I don’t know whether people think they’re more inured to violence, but how can that be, when our society is so perversely sexualized, as well (I say “perversely” because for all the coverage, we’re hardly comfortable with sexuality, at least not in the US). But yeah, a concern, I agree.

106. Ann Bruce
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 09:55:23

Take a break for the weekend and I miss all this!

Actually, there a some teeny-boppers on-line who are saying that Edward was super-hot in that scene.

Man, I didn’t know child birth is sexy.

107. Ann Bruce
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 09:58:13

This has always been the case in fairy tales (of course, fairy tales were originally used to give children nightmares so they don’t do dumb-ass things, not give them the warm and fuzzies). (I’d go into detail, but I analyzed this topic ad nauseum in uni and don’t care to do it again.)

108. Jia
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 12:22:10

That’s just great.

Man, I didn't know child birth is sexy.

And I didn’t realize having your uterus ripped open by vampire teeth was sexy.

109. Ann Bruce
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 20:50:19

I haven't read the series yet and probably won't for awhile. I'm number 468 at my library for a copy of Twilight, but from what I've heard it isn't too bad. I know Breaking Dawn got a lot of criticism, but Twilight was mostly loved by everyone.

SB Sarah has a review of Twilight that sums up my feelings after reading only three chapters, except I don’t recall be an angsty teen myself. During the tween years, I was more interested in video games and comic books than boys. By the time I was 17, I was in my second (third?) year at university and trying to decide between a career as a starving writer or selling my soul to big business. I chose the latter because I never fantasized about a pretty, rich boy sweeping me off my feet. I fantasized about earning my own money and retiring at forty-five.

The significant other’s cool with that since I still haven’t grown out of my video games and comic books phase.

110. Ann Bruce
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 20:53:56

Okay, THIS sums up my feelings for Twilight.

111. Ann Bruce
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 21:09:26

Okay, that’s a lie. I was interested in a boy at that age: Optimus Prime.

112. theo
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 21:11:22

*snort*

And that comic is priceless!!! ROFLMAO!

113. handyhunter
    Sep 01, 2008 @ 23:33:36

This really is the series that won’t die. There is more wank/crack: SM posted BD FAQs on her website. In short, it seems that inconsistency or plot holes in a series is fine as long as it’s a fantasy story (who cares about that pesky world-building and internal logic), any issues one might have with the series is the fault of the reader (ie, you’re reading it wrong) and the series is not misogynistic because Meyer said so (don’t let the subtext or actual text fool you). And BD needs to be two movies because there’s no way 700+ pages will fit in two hours.

114. Jess
    Sep 02, 2008 @ 08:35:48

Ann I completely share your love of Optimus Prime, and was REALLY upset when they killed him in the movie and I had to watch that pissant Hot Rod race around like an idiot for 90 minutes. :)

handyhunter, I’m going to go check out the FAQs since I have many, many questions I need answered about Breaking Dawn, but I can think of one way that it would fit into a 2-hour format. In fact, it should have been done with the book: EDITING.

115. Ann Bruce
    Sep 03, 2008 @ 12:27:15

Jess,

I can admit that I cried during the movie. And I took great relish in Rodimus turning back into the pissant Hot Rod when they were forced to bring Optimus back. Still ticked off that they didn’t bring back Ironhide and the others, though. I never warmed up to the new cast.

116. Nicole
    Oct 07, 2008 @ 14:55:43

WHY are you still tallking about Optimus Prime??

117. karen
    Oct 24, 2008 @ 18:36:43

i love the twilight series i cryed laughed and a ton of other stuff i loved midnight sun and i had hysterics when i knew meyer wasnt gnna publish it … i got issues but so what im in love with a fictional character thats not so bad as it sounds

118. Renesmee
    Nov 12, 2008 @ 11:21:25

Well I heard that steph was gonna make midnight sun again, only she was going to name it something else. I am torn. I want to read the first 12 chapters but I feel like I’am betraying her if I do. So I guess I’m not going to do it. My friends have.

ILOVE EDWARD CULLEN!!!!:)

Renesmee

P.S. I think she should write a book from nessies point of view. like through her life and whatnot.

Nov 12, 2008 @ 11:27:13

Let me get this straight. You’ve adopted the moniker of “Renesmee” and then proclaim love for your fictional father? Isn’t that all kinds of wrong?

120. Amanda
    Nov 20, 2008 @ 14:33:36

Hey i think it is wrong that someone posted that skript Midnight sun on the internet but why should we be punished. I know that the book means alot to you but it dose to everyone so please publish the book please! I love that book its amazing im for one will never read the 12 chapters cuz it would not be the same to me. Unless you publish it. Oh and i lve the way you describhe everything it makes me feel like im there! So you HAVE TO PUBLICH MIDNIGHT SUN

Your bigest fan: Amanda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

121. tori
    Nov 22, 2008 @ 10:07:26

hey im ttly sad bout the book you should ttly have the right to be p offed i would be well i read the 1st chapter of midnight sun with some friends and it was amasing and if you dont publish the book it would be a tradgitty and from what i’ve read of it it seems as if it will complete twilight you can’t take that away from us and who ever leaked the book should be hanged or shanked or whatever its ttly insane. your deninig us the write to more Edward and thats serious buisness there so please please don’t stop writeng WE NEED MORE EDWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of your readers….. Tori !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

122. Mireya
    Nov 22, 2008 @ 18:45:15

They think that since this blog is titled “Dear Author” this is about writing to authors with petitions and stuff. *snort*

123. Sybil
    Nov 22, 2008 @ 18:55:34

Maybe it is a fatherly love ;)

I am sooooo sick of hearing about the greatness which is edward from my lil sis

124. Sam
    Nov 23, 2008 @ 04:04:58

Wow. I would have loved to have been in this debate in August/September. I have to say, it was very interesting reading it all(it’s Sat. night and I had some time on my hands), though now that it’s over I can’t say that I could have added anything that wasn’t thoroughly explored and scrutinized. This has given me a lot to think about. I honestly didn’t think that much into it. I loved the books, and, I must be out of the loop because this is the first that I’ve heard of the negative reactions to BD, I thought BD was just as good as the other three. I didn’t find the birth scene terribly gross, and the only thing that I would have liked to add is that I don’t believe 10 to 12 year olds were the intended audience. Young adult entails 13 to 17 in my opinion.

125. Rebekah
    Nov 24, 2008 @ 02:40:30

Wow…
    Erm, anyone else scared for the future? The grammar… no wonder the kiddies love smeyer.
    WTH
    lol Thanks for the article Jane!

126. Rs
    Nov 30, 2008 @ 17:27:40

@Jane:

Hi, how did you know about new boks of hers coming out? I’m a big fan, just wondering how you figured that out…..?

127. sandra
    Dec 08, 2008 @ 19:46:15

128. sberigs alegre
    Dec 13, 2008 @ 07:07:54

i think stephanie meyer could continue the midnight sun cause
    even if the 12 chapter’s of midnight sun are illegaly posted in
    internetn by some one who are jeolous with you so he/she stgolen the twelve chapters

129. teah
    Dec 18, 2008 @ 20:58:47

130. Ann Somerville
    Dec 18, 2008 @ 21:09:06

@teah:
    the link is in the original post.

131. Diane
    Dec 19, 2008 @ 03:43:17

Hehe, I think it’s funny that the fangirls have found this site, and can’t even find the links to Midnight Sun.

Grammar and spelling? Who needs it when you’re a teen.

I’m a Twilight Fan. I’ve been thoroughly sucked into the story despite the bad writing, despite the questionable relationship but I have to say, it is so much more interesting being in Edward’s head than Bella’s head. I really hope she finishes writing Midnight Sun. (i’m also a big Dexter fan, so maybe I’m just sick)

However, Breaking Dawn totally grossed me out. The moment she started with the cravings and the morning sickness, I thought, no, don’t go down that path and what did she do? The birthing scene was horrible. I absolutely hated it, but like a car accident…I read on.

And I think good on Rob Pattinson for finding some deeper motivation for acting the part of Edward than the worship from Bella’s point of view. I’m not sure that his motivation actually translated that well to the screen, though. I’m hoping that the new director will inspire the actors to a better performance in New Moon.

132. Susan
    Dec 22, 2008 @ 01:59:40

What has ruined Meyer’s writing for me going forward is her “threat” not to write any more on MIDNIGHT SUN because she’s just “too sad” about the leak. Wow. I never realized how much inherent trust I unconsciously give away to authors if I find myself becoming emotionally invested in their stories until she decided to be punitive to her readers like that. That felt like a bigger, misplaced betrayal than the initial leak. I just don’t expect a professional writer to say, in essence, “I’m really ticked about something that has nothing to do with you, dear reader, and thank you for making my work so successful, but I’m a control freak in a bad mood so you don’t get that next installment I know you’ve been waiting for.” Apparently, she’s reversed her decision, or maybe her publisher smacked her upside the head, but I think I’m going to be “too sad” about all of this to spend one more dime on any of her upcoming books.

133. kaylee
    Dec 28, 2008 @ 21:43:39

I really think that the book midnight sun should be finish ( if not already) and published because no everyone has read it from the leak and alot of people want to either finish reading it or start to

134. Jenna
    Dec 30, 2008 @ 16:51:35

I agree with Susan above. Meyer’s threat is very childish not to mention unfair to her readers. She needs to grow up, get over it, and finish the book

135. jordin
    Jan 05, 2009 @ 20:49:33

umm.
    i want it to publish.
    but i dont want to ruin
    the happily ever happening!
    i wish my boyfriend was a frickin vampire!
    FRICK!!!

136. lindz
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 03:50:44

so where can i find the 12 chapters ?????

137. Melody
    Jan 07, 2009 @ 20:21:46

Where online are these 12 chapters???? where can i find them?? did anyone know how many chapters it was going to be in total?

138. AKSHDKJSDHF
    Jan 08, 2009 @ 19:10:46

okay not to be mean or anything, but to all of you who say you love edward cullen, how can you love him?-he’s a fictional charactor from a book…..
    NO OFFENCE TO ANY OF YOU
    o and also the guy who plays edward cullen in the movie, his name is ROBERT PATTINSON.
    you can find an video interview with edward cullen and the editor of SEVENTEEN* magazin ( yes ik i didnt spell it right w/e) @ seventeen.com/twilight

139. MontseSpanish
    Jan 09, 2009 @ 15:44:04

Hi everyone, i’m Spanish. Twilight is a new film here, i saw the film recently and i fall in love with the story i bought all the books and i’m watching loads of interviews and the like! Today i was searching and i found the new book “midnight sun”, i got the first 12 chapters but it is incomplete… Can everyone tell me where can i find the other chapters? Or maybe if the book is being already sold in the shops? i was trying to find the translation into spanish of “midnight sun” but it wasn’t fruitful… Can anyone help me please??? Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

140. msprissy
    Jan 13, 2009 @ 19:48:38

I think when all the hooplah!!! with the twilight series is over, she’ll finish/release mudnight sun. Maybe she isn’t that concerned with the release because of all the success from the other four books. I’m also upset that Taylor will be playing Jacob in New Moon. How can a 16 year old play a tall, mature male who looks 25 years old?

141. MontseSpanish
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 15:54:38

Taylor??? How is it? in the new film you mean¿ sorry i didn’t read all the comments cus if i do i’ll be reading till tomorrow! SO….Midnight sun isn’t going to be written till the films finish? :S

142. Mireya
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 17:02:49

Montse, how are you reaching such conclusion based on one comment that makes reference to an actor in the movie? Where in that comment did you see that? Do yourself a favor and go read the author’s website. El libro no ha sido contratado por ninguna casa editorial pues ella lo va a re-escribir, y no ha provisto ninguna fecha. No hay traduccion al espanol.

143. MontseSpanish
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 18:57:06

Mireya, are you spanish? At first, i didn’t reach any conclusion, i was just asking… because i didn’t know… loads of people post comments on Internet and i was confused, i was JUST asking. If you are so kind please, can you give me the website of Stephenie Meyer please, in order to not reach conclusions?? Si sabes español, te darás cuenta que la frase que has escrito es ambigua, querrás decir que por el hecho de que le han cogido los doce primeros capítulos, ella reescribirá el libro por lo tanto ninguna casa editorial, hasta que ese libro esté escrito, no puede realizar ningún tipo de contrato. Expresémonos bien. Another thing, the ironic way can be kept at home, cos this is something tha is used to ask doubts ok?

144. Mireya
    Jan 14, 2009 @ 20:55:42

@Montse: If you use Google do a search of her name and also her most recent interviews for more recent statements on her part regarding Midnight Sun. If memory serves her site is http://www.stepheniemeyer.com. You will find a lot of information just googling her, though. I don’t doubt someone may have done a translation to Spanish of the leaked text and posted it to a Spanish or Latin American fansite or something along those lines, but you will have to ask for it in Spanish speaking fansites or scour the internet for it. Good luck on your search.

145. MontseSpanish
    Jan 15, 2009 @ 13:00:59

thank you, i’ve already found it.

146. Felly Velicia
    Jan 16, 2009 @ 13:34:45

I am extremely disappointed about the leak.

I understand how she must have felt when she found out that her writings had been leaked into the internet. I am studying to become a novelist myself and have wrote a few novel. I had experienced the same thing like her, one of my friend sneaked into my room, hacked into my computer and stole a draft of my novel. Although it wasn’t leaked or no other person got a hold of it and I was not planning to publish it, I was still upset. I couldn’t control my emotion and stopped writing my novel immediately.

I understand that maybe she was tempted to stop writing the book but her will to finish it and make her true fans happy was a great news for me. I still can’t forgive the person who hurt her like that! To tell you the truth her book had become an inspirations for me, it motivates me to become a great author.

I heard rumors that she might have done it on purpose. I admit, it is a possibility but however, she is still someone I look up to.

147. ebony
    Jan 19, 2009 @ 12:01:53

I am very disappointed and pissed actually because i really was looking forward to reading Midnight sun. Please Stephanie if you are reading this please publish the book it is not our fault for whoever did that. i totally agree,that was dishonest and very hurtful to you but do you really think we all should suffer because of that person? Stephanie Myer is a wonderful author and her books puts imaginations in my head and it inspires me. in my opinion i think she shouldn’t worry about it and just continue to do what shes doing because its just going to put more stress on her if she don’t.

148. Rhianna
    Jan 19, 2009 @ 20:43:37

Where is the 264 pages, or 12 chapters, that are supposedly floating around in cyber space? I can’t find it anywhere and I want to read what’s available of Midnight Sun. Please inform me!
    Thanks.

149. MontseSpanish
    Jan 20, 2009 @ 06:53:48

Rihanna you can find it in stephenie meyer website, just search on google Stephenie Meyer Official Website and click on the part of Midnight Sun, you’ll find it!

150. mary ellen*
    Jan 26, 2009 @ 19:51:33

this is my first time doing something like this so i think ill talk to u first. i just want u to know that the topic of sex comes up with kids in schools everyday( i would know im a kid im 12) so its nothing big (its just akward so we giggle ) there is nothing to worry about. i hav red breaking dawn and she skips over details ( not kidding she skips the whole damn nite ,my friends were kinda upset……..) note* DO NOT FREAK WHEN UR KID READS IT,NOT RECOMENDED 4 YOUNGER VEWIERS

151. mary ellen*
    Jan 26, 2009 @ 19:58:29

ATTENTION I HAV IMPORTANT NEWS………………………….EDWARD IS SMEXY AND SO IS JACOB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO TEAM SWITZERLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kisses (go blue !!!!!!!) b nic to the enviornment ,peace out luvs yas
    Mary Ellen (aka Mae) (( not kidding about mi age either pps do not underestimate mi reading level i hav one of the higgest ons in the nation)) :-)

152. mary ellen*
    Jan 26, 2009 @ 20:07:17

i conclude w/ statements above we luv u stephenie, and please 4 the sake of ur fans i cannot stress that enough , PLEASE KEEP WRITING MIDNIGHT SUN FOR ALL OUR SAKES AND MINE ESPECIALLY PLEASE KEEP WRITING IT WE LUV UR WORK SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH ,DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE MALICIOUS PEOPLE ( if we can call them people at all) u r sweet

kisses ( go blue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) b nice to the enviornment peace out (<) luvs yas soooooo much Mae

153. Secret
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 16:40:52

ok so you need to keep writing midnight sun it will be sooo good and i will not be able to quit writing when everyone loves your twilight series and i think you should continue writing it so do it we love your writing Stephenie keep writing MIDNIGHT SUN

154. cassidy
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 16:44:12

DO

155. cassidy
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 16:45:15

DO NOT STOP WRITING MIDNIGHT SUN IT WILL BE GREAT SO PICK UP YOUR PENCIL AND: do it now and dont stop We love your books so keep writing and if you dont i will keep posting comments like this untill you do ok so keep writing i love your books i cant wait to read breaking dawn and then if you keep writing Midnight sun will be a great hit so keep writing

156. mary ellen*
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 20:03:49

cassidy,thanxs sooooooooo much 4 backing me up, ur awsome. I ( out of curtosy to u ) will not spoil Breaking Dawn 4 u . it is really sad though. :.-( . i hav new news,tomorrow is my Birthday i will b thirteen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my bffs shcnitzelfritz bojangle,bobett,purple but,and fefe r invited to my party. btw i used my friends nicknames . i blive that im getting a new i pod (4 all my fav twilight sound track songs) (( rob pattionson is NOT going to b on their, the man cannot sing , he mumbles )) and of course ill hav my old favs on there ( beautiful day-u2 , the who will b on their along w/ the beatles too , as u can see my dad taught me well.) and then the twilight collecters addition official twilight saga fan guide with the character profiles ,( more about jasper ? woo hoo or as bear* would say WHOOT ) maps etc etc ……….. omg i cant wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i hav a question 4 u all . what is ur fav twilight book ? mine is Eclipse. please reply there will b a new question every day( unless i hav swimming) (( or hw)) thanks. if u hav twilight news ,i will b on from about 8:00 pm to about 9:30 pm

luvs yas, b nice to th enviornment, luv twilight ,luv edward .thanks again -mae

157. mary ellen*
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 20:11:06

@Renesmee: i totally aggre w/ u there-mae

158. mary ellen*
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 20:27:31

@B: r u kidding me?(alert rant mode) U PEOPLE HAV NO RESPCT 4 STEPHENIE ATALL.ITS NOT HER FAULT THAT MIDNIGHT SUN WZ POSTED ILLEGALLY ON THE WEB .WE OWE IT TO HER TO FAITHFULY RESPECT HER WISHES 4 THIS BOOK SO SUCK IT THE HELL UP AND DEAL WITH IT . U SHOULD B ON UR KNEES THANKING HER 4 THE OPPORTUNITTY TO EVEN READ ONE OF HER BOOKS…… EVEN ONE OF THEM. STEPHENIE HAS CREATED A WONDERFULL UNIVERSE 4 EVERYONE TO LIVE IN FANTASY AND B A KID AGAIN.U “PEOPLE” R SNIDE RUDE MONSTRUS EVIL BINGS THAT DO NOT CARE 4 ANYNE BUT THEMSELVES. LITTLE SCARLET O’HARAS IF I MAY B SO BOLD . U HAV OFFICIALLY PISSED ME OFF AND THIS IS JUST THE BEGINING> STEPHENIE MEYER IS AN ARTIST IN HER OWN RITE . SHOW SOME DAMNED RESPCT-Mae( yeah the 12 yr old)

159. mary ellen*
    Jan 27, 2009 @ 20:29:48

what now,B

160. boo39
    Jan 30, 2009 @ 17:51:04

i think that it should put 12 chapters of modnight sun

161. boo39
    Jan 30, 2009 @ 17:52:09

yall should tell people how you can read the first 12 chapters

162. Nando45
    Jan 30, 2009 @ 20:46:42

I really think its a priviledge just to be able to read a book by Stephenie and I love the books. When I read her books I dream of myself being Bella. I really think that it’s inpolite to illegally post 12 chapters of her unfinished book. Please don’t do it again.

163. Rachell Gossett
    Jan 31, 2009 @ 01:00:46

I really don't know where to start here. Perhaps after the stomach cramps from laughing have stopped?

Okay. First of all, mary ellen, for a twelve year old you have quite a sailor's mouth. Do you talk like that in front of your mother? Secondly, the link to your coveted twelve chapters is at the end of the article. That's right children, you will have to scroll all the way to the top of the page. Lastly, for the rest of you pre-teen Twilighters, I cringe to hear you taking Meyer as inspiration for future books. I also recommend a few courses in remedial English before you actually reach college.

164. mary ellen
    Feb 01, 2009 @ 20:02:57

hey peeps how r u ?sorry about going off on u like tht SOME of u didnt deserve tht. i did get mi i-pod though and im soooo happy. rite now im listining to i caught myself,by paramore (its on the cd)as any true twilight fan would . soo please tell me wht u think about this …………. heres my next question do u think tht rob pattionson can sing? i dont he mumbles

peace to the peeps , WAR IS UHEALTHY 4 ALL LIVING THINGS and luvs yas
    -mae

165. mary ellen
    Feb 01, 2009 @ 20:13:08

heres my playlist , u can look up the songs on youtube
    -american idiot,green day
    -bellas lullaby,carter burwell
    -blurry,puddle of mudd
    -clocks,coldplay
    -no air,jordin sparks & chris brown
    -na na na na naa,kaiser chiefs
    -all summer long,kid rock
    -roll on,kid rock
    -dark blue,jacks mannequin
    -sex and candy,marcy playground
    -twilight soundtrack
    -etc,etc,

luvs yas- mae

166. isabela
    Feb 02, 2009 @ 00:48:56

Ugh.. please.. if you don’t mind, “mae-the -twelve-year-old-kid”, LMAO could you just please keep your thoughts to yourself? You’re giving everybody a brain hemorrhage! Nobody understands you at all..