Sony Readers to Be Sold at Target

I saw over at Teleread.org that the Sony Reader will be available in over 1600 Target stores starting today.  This might be quite a boon because it is a niche product going into the mainstream market.  I recall that there were quite a few positive reports about Target selling the iPod and iPod accessories.  I have no idea what this might mean for the big October 2 reveal for the Sony Reader, but is ratcheting up my interest.

Via Teleread.org.

1. Jessica
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 14:20:10

If only a Mac user could be excited about this!

But thanks for the update anyhow.

2. KMont
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 15:31:25

Wait, say wha? It’s not usable with Macs??! Curses!!&$@#@#$@!!

What’s the point of having the best possible operating system and computer if ya can’t use goods like a Sony Reader? *g*

I really want one though. Might have to knuckle down and *shudders* use hubby’s PC.

3. roslynholcomb
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 16:20:43

Man, that’s so cool. I go to Target at once a week. To get to a Sony store I’d have to go to Midtown. Finally I’ll get a chance to put this baby through its paces. Unfortunately, I too have a Mac. Bummer.

4. Meriam
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 16:27:30

Kmont, there are a number of ways to get around the incompatibility. I haven’t the links to hand, but if you just google it, you’ll find there are pages and pages dedicated to this very issue, with some very handy workarounds.

Or – yeah – you could use the PC :-)

I’m really enjoying my reader – the only problem is, there’s a new one just around the corner, so I’m feeling a little miffed.

5. Anne Douglas
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 17:03:59

I got my reader last week, was busy and only got around to getting everything going this weekend. Managed to brick it when I put it onto my pc to register it and get the download. Oy Vey, hours later I finally got it going.

From now on I’m just going to be plugging it into my mac and transferring files to it just like a thumbdrive. Easy really.

Then of course there is CALIBRE which a forward thinking uni student developed that is software to use on the mac – I haven’t got that far yet, the half finished painting on my lounge wall took precedence ;0)

6. Emmy
    Sep 15, 2008 @ 18:30:41

Yay! Now all we need is a Target in Hawaii *g*. We has none :(

7. Shayera
    Sep 16, 2008 @ 14:31:08

My local Target was just setting up the display this morning when I was there. It’s a pretty good size display too.

8. Miki
    Sep 16, 2008 @ 19:01:10

I’m in one of the areas that are on Day 3 of no electricity because of the Midwest storms…and I was able to run out to my local Target and get the Sony lighted book cover (despite it’s obscene price!) and at least read in the dark!

(Uh, we’ve got power at work, so I’ve been able to keep the Reader charged up. *a-hem*)

9. roslynholcomb
    Sep 20, 2008 @ 18:19:24

So we checked out the reader at our local Target today. I really really like it. Of course, the dh looked at it and wondered “What else does it do?” According to him, for that kind of money it should perform a sex act or two. I’m hoping to get one for Christmas, but definitely not holding my breath. *sigh*

10. Miki
    Sep 20, 2008 @ 19:19:34

According to him, for that kind of money it should perform a sex act or two.

Well, I keep reading that the mind is the biggest sex organ, especially for women. So with the right books…

;-)