Sony Puts on the Pink

sreader_0.jpg

For Valentine’s Day, Sony is offering its eReading Device with a pink “Cross Your Heart” Skinit covering and 14 free Harlequin ebooks.

“Cross Your Heart” reminds me of Playtex bras and is probably one of the more unfortunate slogans Sony could come up with for its female crowd, along with the suggestion that librarians aren’t sexy.

1. Wendy
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 16:57:00

The skin and Cross Your Heart name don’t do a darn thing for me but….

14 free Harlequins! WooHoo!

Although something tells me those 14 will be heavy in HP and SD titles. Someone needs to buy one and tell what the freebies are! I’m nosy!

2. Angela James
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 18:06:57

I want one.

3. (Jān)
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 20:00:08

That pattern even looks like an old bra. One put through the wash by a husband with his red shorts. Yeah, it speaks of everlasting love to me…

4. stephanie feagan
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 20:48:14

I do love me some Pink, but ditto on the Cross Your Heart thing. Bummer that. Likewise with their braindead ad campaign filed under How To Dis Librarians.
    Wonder if everyone in marketing at Sony smokes funny cigarettes?
    That said, what will one of these set a person back? Not that I can afford it, but I’m curious.

5. RfP
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 21:11:22

I like it. I’m sick of black. People have accidentally walked off with my suitcase and my phone–everything looks so alike. Bring on the pink. The green. The crosses and noughts and plaid.

Jan 31, 2008 @ 22:07:41

It’s $300, steph. I don’t mind a different color. Sony’s currently come in silver and blue, I think. And the pink, if you didn’t know, was a sticker.

7. Shiloh Walker
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 22:29:59

I want one.

I don’t care if it’s pink or not. I just want a sony e reader.

8. stephanie feagan
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 23:18:41

Ah, thanks, Jane. 300 bucks? I thought they cost more than an iPod. Shows how much I know. I’ve read your Sunday posts about eReaders, but being a techno idiot, some of it escapes me. I think I’d ‘get it’ if I could pick one up, try it out, get the feel of it – but they’re not typically sold in stores, are they? The notion of paying $300 for something without kicking the tires makes me nervous.

Jan 31, 2008 @ 23:21:55

The Sony Reader is almost every Borders I believe. The kiosk display in my Borders is near the magazines.

10. stephanie feagan
    Feb 01, 2008 @ 12:15:34

Well, see there’s my problem, living in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere. But I’m going to Dallas soon, so I’ll head for Borders and check it out.

11. Randi Thompson
    Feb 01, 2008 @ 12:48:54

I think the SB’s did a review of the various eReaders awhile back; but I’m like Stephanie. I understand their are different forms of eBooks and eReaders and they don’t all cross-over. Yes? And when there is a key update (do I have that vocab right?) many of the books become unaccessible…Do I understand that right? So, what’s the benefit of using Sony versus, say, the Kindle (which I think is on sale at Amazon)? I haven’t jumped on the eReader bandwagon because I like to hold a book in my hand and I’m on the computer all day at work. My eyes are all worn out by the end of the day. Also, $300 for an eReader!!! Do you know how many books that would buy!? Say about 1/4 of the books listed in the “Help Build Dr. Frantz’s Syllabus” over at the SB’s.

12. DS
    Feb 01, 2008 @ 22:14:53

I love my Kindle. I take it everywhere. But if you really want something in pink for about $300– Asus has a “blush pink” sub notebook with a 2 to 8 GB harddrive, a seven inch diagonal screen, Linux OS, 512 MB RAM and wireless and you can load FBREader on it. It also comes in what is described as Lush Green, but it’s really apple green. The office bought a couple for travel– Open Office comes on it, and it’s really quite a fun little machine.

13. DS
    Feb 01, 2008 @ 22:17:39

Sorry forgot to mention that FBReader is an open source ebook reader that is constantly being improved by its developers.

And if it seems I have a lot of electronic toys– well, I do. In fact, my first computer was a Timex Sinclaire that I atill have somewhere in the garage.

14. Denise
    Feb 02, 2008 @ 07:18:02

This is off-topic, but I wasn't sure where to post my question. Is anyone else having problems get the Sony ereader at the $49.95 price as advertised back in September? I've been getting the runaround for four months. First it was backordered due to the incredible demand, now they're telling me there's a problem with the “coding” on my Sony Rewards account, which doesn't show the ereader at the special offer price. It's been several weeks since they claimed there was a coding issue. How long does it take to fix or override the pricing so I can finally get my ereader?

Just wanted to see if I'm the only one with this problem. I’ve been calling weekly for the last month in hopes that they’ll give in and give me my ereader.

Denise