Samhain Publishing Receives RWA Recognition

Samhain Publishing has receieved RWA Publisher Recognition which means that one of its titles sold 5,000 copies in a single year. I’ll speculate that one or more of the following titles sold the requisite number:

• Blackmailed by AnnMarie McKenna. While this book was not my personal favorite, I saw it sit atop the Bestseller list for WEEEEEEKS.
  • Taste This by Leigh Ellwood. Gay romance fiction is just not very prevalent in the regular bookstore but I can see a big market for this.
  • Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurentson. I think she’s just got a fresh voice that readers responded to.
  • Betting Hearts by Dee Tenorio. It was fun, sweet, and sexy.

Am I even close?

1. May
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:08:21

Purely out of curiosity, why don’t you think it’s one of the more established e-authors who had been at, say, EC, who then got pubbed with Samhain? Or are there RWA rules preventing that?

Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:10:15

Oh, no, I don’t think so. Angie W said on her blog that several books met the criteria. You are right. I bet Lora Leigh’s book was one of them. I can’t remember the name of it right now. I think I reviewed it and then it was sold to Berkley.

3. May
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:13:23

You’re thinking of Nauti Buoy.

Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:15:17

Okay, I was actually thinking of Loving Lies but you are right about Nauti Boy being the one sold to Berkley.

5. Angie
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:22:17

6. Emily
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:26:35

I think you are right about m/m being an ebook staple because it is hard to get elsewhere. Perhaps it was a print book that made it to 1,500? I would love to know whether recognized epubs did it on an ebook or a TPB.

7. Bev(BB
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 08:30:26

[quote comment="24692"]Just to clarify, the number is 5000 for ebooks or 1500 for trade print. We had double digit books that qualified us for recognition, not just one or five :P[/quote]

I was thinking they’d just been selling a lot of books all around lately. ;)

8. Karen Scott
    Mar 16, 2007 @ 14:45:01

Congrats to Samhain! They’ve done so well in such a relatively short period.

9. Emily
    Mar 17, 2007 @ 19:11:49

3 epubs get in, and now the criterion are being re-evaluated. hmmm.