Rosie O’Donnell Takes Publisher to Task for Sloppy Editing

Sloppy editing is a complaint that many romance readers have made before. It appears that misspellings and grammatical mistakes are not limited to romance books. 061214_rosie_vmed_3pwidec.jpgRosie O’Donnell went public with her disgust of Grand Central Publishing for failing to proof the hardcover jacket of her newest book, Celebrity Detox, which had misspelled her name and gotten the date of her birth wrong as well as the date of her mother’s cancer diagnosis.

Galley Cat blogger says that O’Donnell’s reaction is over the top, but I disagree. O’Donnell’s name is on this book and her reputation, such as it is, on the line.

Via GalleyCat

1. Roslyn
    Sep 07, 2007 @ 14:23:44

Oh my effing God, I thought I was the only one with a publisher stupid enough to misspell my freaking name! And to do it with a celebrity like Rosie, WoW! Guess I shouldn’t feel so bad, huh?

2. Chantal
    Sep 07, 2007 @ 21:36:39

I don’t blame her for being upset. I would be as well.

3. Ayalyn
    Sep 08, 2007 @ 10:32:53

I can’t stand Rosie O'Donnell, so I will not be buying her book.
    I do agree about bad editing though and can’t understand how I can spot misspellings when I have dyslexia and so called professionals miss what I can see.

4. rebecca
    Sep 09, 2007 @ 22:38:28

they’ve been able to correct the dates, per rosie’s blog @ http://www.rosie.com

considering the effect rosie’s mother’s death had on rosie’s life and the focus of this book..i can see why she’s upset.

all profits from these book sales go to one of her charity foundations..this book benefits rosie’s broadway kids. rbk is getting a building in nyc.

i’m looking forward to reading it.

5. Alexandria
    Sep 10, 2007 @ 23:10:14

I recently purchased a hardback book that had a word on the cover misspelled. It said “When desire meats destiny”! Meats?

I love Rosie O’donnell. Well, perhaps I just love the way she gets under the skin of Fox News people. I refuse to call them anchors. Damn, they’re still taking pot shots at her.

6. Dee
    Dec 16, 2009 @ 01:17:35

I know someone that just had a book published (she paid to have it published)…a book for children. I bought a copy and started reading. The book is rather short, 33 pages in all. From the first page on, there were punctuation mistakes on EVERY page but two. I may not be perfect with my punctuation, but I can guarantee that if I were going to have a book published…especially a children’s book, I would have everyone and his brother checking it for mistakes. NOT a children’s book in my opinion. To me it’s irresponsible to sell the book in the condition it’s in now.