1. Jessica G.
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 12:05:12

That was a pretty nifty article :)

2. Nialla
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 12:31:16

I’m thinking part of the American history books are ones on the Great Depression. There were a couple that came out shortly before things really got bad, and more since then.

3. Kati
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 12:44:56

I bought four books today at Borders, all romance. I haven’t curtailed my book buying at all. I’m more likely to curtail other stuff first.

4. Kimber An
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 15:19:15

Not at all surprised. People need escapist entertainment when times are tough. That’s how Bugs Bunny got to be such a big star during World War II. Keep ‘em comin’, authors! Especially the ones with fun and adventure. I’m so sick of Dark & Gritty, I could just puke.

5. SonomaLass
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 16:54:34

Mass market paperbacks in particular are a good deal. I continue to buy primarily books that my library doesn’t carry, choosing to invest my money in the work of new and favorite authors. Almost all my purchases are romance or sci-fi/fantasy. I agree that escapist entertainment is even more attractive when the news is crappy.

6. Nadia
    Feb 28, 2009 @ 22:59:13

I agree with what everyone else is saying. MMPB is a great deal for entertainment.

P.S. I’m not sure though if MMPB is a great deal for ex-pats though, depending on where you are. It’s one of the big reasons why I started reading ebooks.

7. Kira
    Mar 02, 2009 @ 13:31:55

I saw that. Between that and the H/S news at All About Romance (http://www.likesbooks.com/blog/?p=1008), it looks like we romance readers are keeping bookland afloat.

About the mass markets. I like them just because of the size. I wish more of them had nice covers like the trade pbs, but I do like being able to have a book small enough to stuff into my purse.

8. Joyce
    Mar 02, 2009 @ 20:57:16

I’ve cut down on all my other expenses but I haven’t slashed a single cent on my book allowance. LOL.

9. colleen gleason
    Mar 03, 2009 @ 19:23:32

I’m hoping that’s a bit of job security for Borders Romance Buyer Sue Grimshaw! :-)