Nora Roberts’ Boonsboro Historical Inn Burns Down

A fire on February 22, 2008, consumed the Historic Boonsboro Inn that Nora Roberts and her family were restoring.   The blaze also damaged six other buildings in the small town. No one was injured but there was an estimated $1.5 to $2 million in damage.

The Smart Bitches reported on this yesterday and Nora dropped in to give a couple of updates.

Via SBTB and the tipsters in the email.   Thanks.

1. Lisa
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 00:36:03

I feel this is bad karma coming back to Nora for the negativity that she spewed towards Mrs. Edwards. No matter how one tries to justify it, what goes around comes around and in the end, Nora got what she deserved. Maybe now she has learned her lesson and wil endeavor to be kind to others, and contribute positivity into the universe instead of ugliness.

2. Janine
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 02:25:24

That is really out of line IMO, to suggest that anyone could deserve to have such a thing happen to them. Your comment hardly contributes positivity into the universe, Lisa. Nor is it kind to others.

3. LinM
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 08:10:02

What a huge loss. I will probably never stay in Boonsboro but I loved the idea that an inn from the 1700′s was being restored and enjoyed. My sympathy to Nora, family, everyone working on the project and all of the other families and businesses affected by the fire.

4. Jia
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 08:54:24

Because that comment of yours contributes positive karma, Lisa?

5. SandyW
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 09:04:03

So, Lisa, what you're saying is that if someone sees their next door neighbor's house being broken into by thieves, and calls the police, bad karma will come and get them?

It doesn't matter how nice Cassie Edwards is, or how old she is, or how many fans she has. She committed unethical and illegal acts over a period of decades. She stole from other writers. She defrauded her readers and her publishers by claiming the work as her own. I have only the greatest admiration for all the people who were willing to say so publicly.

Ms. Roberts, I'm ready to make a reservation, whenever you rebuild.

6. Janine
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 10:40:14

What a huge loss. I will probably never stay in Boonsboro but I loved the idea that an inn from the 1700's was being restored and enjoyed. My sympathy to Nora, family, everyone working on the project and all of the other families and businesses affected by the fire.

What she said.

7. JLFerg
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 10:46:01

To Lisa –

From Dictionary.com
    Hypocrisy – a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.

When the only defense is to attack the victim, perhaps one should take a step back from the keyboard and consider the impression that will be left.

To everyone else

I hope that Ms Roberts and her family, friends and neighbors can quickly recover from this devastating loss. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who were affected (or is it effected? URGH!) by this fire.

Jill
    (back to lurking)

8. Nora Roberts
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 11:28:34

We are first relieved no one was hurt. Given the violence and intensity of the fire, the communal roofs, the age of these buildings, that’s a miracle. So we thank God and the heroic efforts of the fire fighters for that.

We’re so grateful the old, original stone walls survived, and can be saved. Amid the loss, this is huge–historically, and I think, symbolically. We’ll rebuild.

We’re heartbroken for what was lost, devastated for the families who lost their homes. Boonsboro, like the best of small town communities, is pulling together to help each other, and those who need it.

As for Lisa, you’re much too small even to be pitied. Be pissed or vindictive where I’m concerned if you must. But my personal losses in this tragedy are nothing compared to the families who saw their homes and everything they owned destroyed. Nothing compared to the historical loss of two wonderful old buildings. I can only think your heart must be very dark.

9. Robin Bayne
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 11:58:24

Sorry for your loss, Nora, but glad no one was hurt.

Feb 24, 2008 @ 12:06:57

It is a tragedy even though no one’s life was lost or no one was injured. To use this as a platform to spew hate and negativity shows a lack of understanding and class.

11. Kim
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 12:16:16

Wow Lisa, with that hateful statement you just pulled the pin on a live karmic granade and dropped into your own karmic bunker. Good luck with that.

Sorry for your loss Nora, and I am so thankful no one was injured.

12. azteclady
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 12:31:04

What a shriveled thing must one’s soul be, to be able to disregard all the good Ms Roberts has done in her life, when such a tragedy strikes close to her, and to blithely ignore other people affected by it.

Ms Roberts, many more people are sorry for all that’s lost, and grateful no one was seriously injured. We are also rooting for you to rebuild, and for the people who lost their homes to receive all the help they need.

13. Kasey Mackenzie
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 15:22:50

My thoughts and condolences are with Nora Roberts as well as all the families affected by this. And I will just echo those who point out the utter hypocrisy of condemning someone for supposedly spreading negative karma at the same time one rejoices in that person facing a personal tragedy. Not to mention the fact it’s just plain bitchy, no matter how you slice it.

*goes back to enjoying Nora’s Blood Brothers and pointedly NOT spreading hateful energy around the world*

14. stephanie feagan
    Feb 24, 2008 @ 19:09:00

Aw, hell, that just blows. I’m so sorry, Nora. Bless your heart, if it’s not one thing….

I’m so glad no one was hurt, and I hope all affected will be back on their feet as soon as possible, and maybe, at some point waaay down the road, there’ll be a silver lining. I’m always astonished to find one, even in the gloomiest of situations.
    Big hugs to you and yours.

Stef, Becoming Very Good At Ignoring Negativity…it’s the darndest thing, but if I ignore it long enough, it goes away…hmmm

15. Tsu Dho Nimh
    Feb 27, 2008 @ 12:16:56

Oh no! I saw that hotel in the 1970s (way before Nora bought it) and it had the potential to make a really great little inn.

16. Brian
    Mar 24, 2008 @ 08:50:10

hey there, just thought id tell my story about the day the inn burned down,seeing as how ive lived right across from it for about a year now. ive seen the inn vacant, worked on, and now ive seen it extra crispy.
    before it was worked on, i chilled under the porch with friends smoking cigs, talking, taken shelter under it a few times when out of nowhere it started to rain, all that. so im no stranger to the place.

it was about 7 in the morning. my sister didnt have school that day, but she was already up. me and my dad had been up all night working on the computer, and i was on a couple of different sites, working in photoshop, just whatever, minding my own buisness. i started to hear shouting across the street, and it was totally different from your normal construction worker dicking around. there was something going on. so i looked outside, they were running at this point, and i saw the front corner of the building on fire. i grabbed my camera, got my mom up out of bed, got my jacket and started filming. the fire was humongous, it mustve been at least 50 feet in the air. i ran back to get behind shelter after we heard that there were propane tanks in the buildings, and that a neighbor who’s house was connected had ammunition in his house. it was like being in iraq, we didnt know if anything was gonna fly out at us or not.
    after the explosions of the propane tanks,t he fire kept on for a little while, actually catching the building connected to us on fire momentarily. i went out to mainstreet and couldnt believe my eyes. there were hundreds of firefighters fighting this blaze. the main street looked like a freaking bomb had hit. the heat from the fire was so extreme that it melted the vinyl siding off of crawfords, the windows from asaro’s that had been replaced were shattered, the road signs had melted, and the power was out everywhere.

later on when the blaze died down, i put down the camera and went to help as much as i could. 3 families had lost their homes, and i went to offer whatever service i could to ease their loss. eventually i caught up with the salvation army, and i offered to help them with handing out food, coffee, hot cocoa, the works. i got interviewed by almost every news station in the area, my video got aired, and by 10pm i was the most tired that i had ever been in my entire life. i put on spiderman 3 in my room once the power was back on, and i didnt make it past the scene where peter fights harry the first time. anyways, right now, as i type out this story, the construction workers are back on the scene, doing something with water. i guess they’re cleaning up something, i dunno what. and there is a jackhammer now. lol.
    anyways, no one got hurt, and we dodged the bullet. it could have been much worse.