Tuesday News: What are you looking forward to in the New...

Image via BigStockPhoto

Image via BigStockPhoto

It is hard to believe that this is 2013 already. I feel like the year passed by in a whirl. 2013, for me, was the year of the self published book where we found gems and goats. The Kindle, digital reading and self publishing is remaking the world of books. I’m not sure where it is going but it is certainly an interesting time. My biggest worry about 2013 is a devolving interest in well produced books. I know my standards have slid and from reading message boards and reader comments, others have as well. Hopefully, 2013 will see more authors interested in producing quality works in addition to great storytelling.

What are you looking forward to in 2013?

1. Katie Gatto
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 09:14:22

You can’t banish words. They just find a way back in anyway. Language is a living thing.

2. Tripoli
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 10:41:31

If there’s one word I’d like to see banned from romance novels, it’s thrust. My God, can we please stop with the friggin’ thrusting already?

3. Carrie G
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 12:53:28

@Katie Gatto: :-) I agree, but tell that to the French. They want their language to never evolve, which is sad. The strength of a language is it’s ability to change and adapt.

4. Estara
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 20:00:26

I didn’t know CNV had made the New York Times list, now they can print that on her next book, also set during WW2. Yay!!

5. Shelley
    Jan 01, 2013 @ 20:44:00

@Tripoli: OMG! Spewing water from my nose!!!

6. Lynne Connolly
    Jan 02, 2013 @ 06:48:57

Good news about the reviewing, for purely selfish reasons. I sold my Kindle and now I’m epub mainly, through my Nook Touch and my Nexus tablet, although I have downloaded the Kindle app for the inevitable times when only Kindle is available. But times do seem to be a-changing.
    In the Uk, I’d love to ban “like,” as in, “like I said to him, like, are you coming, and, like, he said, like, no.” And, oh, no more “innit.” Bliss!
    I’d also like to make a rule that if a word is banned from romance novels, the suggester has to give an alternative! Because sometimes it’s hard to find a new word for something, when a word is just, well, perfect. But overuse of anything is bad, of course.