Great real life romance stories include:
A) Herbert Carter and Mildred Hemmons via CNN. Two people who typified the Tuskagee Airmen experience. Brave trailblazers. Mildred was the better pilot but not allowed to fly during the war. The two carried out their courtship in the air:
Seeing each other in flight created a bond. When they flew together, it was as if they were holding hands in midair. At the end of their aerial encounter, he’d peel away, only to circle back. He’d sneak up behind her, pull in front and leave her in a trail of airwash. Her tiny craft shook mightily. She’d come to expect it every weekend.
B) In 1995, Karen Guiterrez, a reporter for a paper in Lexington agreed to run a piece about a girl who met a guy at the Sugar Bowl and she only knew what car he drove and that he lived in Lexington. The editorial staff grumbled but the piece picked up steam and, well, you’ll have to click on the link to read the rest of the story.
C) Mildred and Richard Loving. HBO is rerunning the Loving documentary today which chronicles the story of Mildred and Richard Loving’s marriage and court battle to outlaw miscegenation. On the 40th anniversary of the Loving v. Virginia decision, Mildred Loving came out and made a rare public statement.
My generation was bitterly divided over something that should have been so clear and right. The majority believed that what the judge said, that it was God’s plan to keep people apart, and that government should discriminate against people in love. But I have lived long enough now to see big changes. The older generation’s fears and prejudices have given way, and today’s young people realize that if someone loves someone they have a right to marry.
Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the “wrong kind of person” for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people’s civil rights.
I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard’s and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.
From my inbox:
Forever would like to e-invite you to our Valentine’s Day Twitter party tomorrow and celebrate all things romance. Our favorite day of the year!
Here’s more information:
Spend Valentine’s Day with your favorite romance authors by following @ForeverRomance on Feb. 14 and use the hashtag #4EvrLove to chat with authors about Valentine memories, relationship advice, and ideas for how to spend the day (and night!) The party starts at 9am EST & we’ll have book giveaways throughout the day, so come join the fun!
Author Participant Schedule:
- 9 am, Elizabeth Hoyt (@ElizabethHoyt)
- 10 am, Kristin Callihan (@Kris10Callihan)
- 10:30, Hope Ramsay (@HopeRamsay)
- 11:30, Stella Cameron, Darkness Bound (@StellaCam)
- 12pm, Jami Alden, RUN FROM FEAR (@JamiAlden)
- 1pm, Katie Lane, CATCH ME A COWBOY (@ktlane3)
- 1:30pm, Vicky Dreiling, HOW TO RAVISH A RAKE (@vickydreiling)
- 2pm, Larissa Ione, IMMORTAL RIDER (@LarissaIone)
- 3pm, Jennifer Haymore, SECRETS OF AN ACCIDENTAL DUCHESS (@JenniferHaymore)
- 4pm, RC Ryan, QUINN (@RuthRyanLangan)
- 4:30pm, Jill Shalvis, HEAD OVER HEELS (@JillShalvis)
- 5:30pm, Cynthia Gardner, KISS OF THE VAMPIRE (@CynthiaGarner)
From Samhain: Happy Valentine’s Day! Enjoy 30% off your entire order with coupon code LOVE12 all day! pic.twitter.com/YKsTOxqv
- In a Cowboy’s Arms by Janette Kenny * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Demonfire by Kate Douglas * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Touch of a Thief by Mia Marlow * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- The Truest Heart by Samantha James * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Deep in the Heart by Sharon Sala * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Heiress in his bed by Tamara Lejeune * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Heart’s at Stake by Alyxandra Harvey * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S (YA)
- I’ll Be Slaying You by Cythia Eden * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Some Kind of Wonderful by J Minter * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S (YA)
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S (YA)
- Devil’s Kiss by Zoe Archer * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S