New iPhones including a $99 Item

Apple introduced a new iPhone yesterday called the Apple GS (S stands for speed). The new models go on sale on June 19 for $199 at 16GB and $299 for the 32 GB. The current 3G model at 8GB will be priced at $99.

Apple’s new iPhone software (3.0) will feature in app purchases. Scroll Motion was highlighted during the keynote speech as having 50 magazines and over 1,000,000 books. Current Scroll Motion prices for books have been very high, sometimes almost 2x as high as the Kindle pricing.

1. Silver James
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 08:40:54

Okay. This may be the thing that tips me over into an iPhone. $99? I sure don’t need extra speed or storage beyond the 3G. *goes to count pennies*

2. Randi
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 11:59:29

Silver,

no kidding. $99 sure makes it a tease. But I still think I’ll hold out until my current cell phone contract is up. Iphone doesn’t have anything soooooooooooo great I need it right this second. And if Scroll Motion ebooks are that pricey, it sort of defeats the purpose of the “cheapy” Iphone.

3. Randi
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 12:00:22

And here’s a question: if iPhone is the first word of a sentence (see above), does it change to “IPhone” or stay “iPhone”?

4. Servizi Fotografici
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 14:17:07

Iphone has never made me go mad, and I have never seen it necessary in have a phone with all these freaky functions …. the thing that puts me of is that it even costs more than a good laptop.

5. Miki
    Jun 09, 2009 @ 15:48:28

I checked out the iTouch and iPhone when it first came out that Kindle books could be read on it.

However, when I was told 1) there’s no way to expand the memory (via SD card or something like it) and 2) there’s “no way” (officially) to move content between the i-gadget and your computer, I didn’t want anything to do with it.

I was told everything had to be transferred back and forth over the app servers. I want backups of aps and ebooks I buy.

Maybe I misunderstood (current owners feel free to correct me), but I just didn’t like the lack of control over my purchases.

6. Kerry Allen
    Jun 10, 2009 @ 06:45:07

@Randi: Per the Chicago Manual of Style (8.163), “Brand names or names of companies that are spelled with a lowercase initial letter (eBay, iMac, etc.) pose a problem if they begin a sentence in normal prose. Chicago recommends either capitalizing the first letter in that position or, better, recasting the sentence so the name does not appear at the beginning.”

It doesn’t specifically state so, but I’d assume leave the second letter capitalized in any case. Given the stellar track record of my assumptions, however, I’d probably go with “The iPhone doesn’t have…” and evade the problem.

/thread hijack

Jun 10, 2009 @ 07:09:49

@Kerry Allen You know, I honestly never thought of it Randi but it’s probably a good idea to go with Kerry’s suggestion. I’ll go edit.