New eBook Readers on the Horizon and Nora Roberts’ Northern Lights...

For a cool grand, you can buy the first color ebook reader. It has an 8″ color screen, bluetooth, wi fi, a touchscreen, USB port. It’s based off Windows CE so you could run any number of software reading programs like MS Lit, eReader or Mobipocket off of it. The battery life is supposedly 40 hours.

A less expensive, but feature rich, ebook reader is the new BeBook which features a screen that accepts handwritten notes and is equipped with WiFi and 3G.

LeAnn Rimes is filming Nora Roberts’ Northern Lights and is having a little romance of her own, only not with her husband. Instead the two married co stars of Northern Lights were caught practicing their love scenes (only kissing) at a local bar in Laguna Beach. My thoughts? How can they film a movie about Alaska in Laguna Beach?

Bookstore sales were flat in January which is actually positive news since retail was down over 8%. In Europe, however, booksales are actually increasing.

Scribd, the bain of some authors because of the tendency of users to put up pirated copies of books, is inking more legitimate publisher partnerships. To date, the company has raised $12.8 million and has the following agreements: Random House, Simon & Schuster, Workman Publishing, Berrett-Koehler, Thomas Nelson, and Manning Publications.

1. jmc
    Mar 18, 2009 @ 20:18:49

Alaska via Laguna Beach? Uh, okay. Cheating co-stars? Whatever. But my gripe is with the casting, since Leann Rimes does NOT fit or even approximate physically the image of Meg that I have in my head.

2. Anita C.
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 04:30:23

Maybe they wanted to film all those “landing the plane on water” scences in warmer climes and then re-edit to make Luguana Beach look like a freezing small town in Alaska.

Speaking of NR movies, I stumbled across 4 of them on a webpage that gave me free acess to watch them on my PC. I watched two: Montana Sky” and “Angels Fall.” Really can’t recommend them to anyone. Did they debut on Lifetime, or come out in DVD or……..?
    I was especially dismayed by Montana Sky, which is one of my top 3 Roberts’ favorites (the other two being “Homeport” and “Finding the Dream”). They cut and pasted the plot ruthlessly, which was probably necessary but one of the great things about that book was the misleading villian and when the real villan stepped forward, wow, I was shocked. That kind of went missing, here, because they speeded up the ending so fast. I also thought the miscasting of Tess and switching her love interest made me lose all interest in that couple (plus we lost “How am I going to explain the bootmarks on the ceiling of my truck” scene; and the earlier scene when Tess visits her soon-to-be-lover to give him his Christmas gift in his home office and teaches him how to sweep off the contents of a desktop in 3 seconds.

3. Emmy
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 04:31:54

What eejit would spend a grand on an ereader when they could just get an 8″netbook for under $300 with most of the same amenities? No touchscreen yet, but still…

Have seen a few NR movies…can’t say that any of them were better than really bad B movies.

4. Hilcia
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 05:09:56

Lee Ann Rhymes as Meg? No wayyyyy! I love that book, and SHE’S no Meg.

5. Shiloh Walker
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 07:25:59

Okay, I’ve been to Alaska and I’m having a hard time seeing how a warm beach-type area could ever pass off as Alaska.

There’s no way I’d spend $1000 on an ebook reader. I couldn’t care less about color since I don’t read my books in color. But I know some people have been waiting for this.

6. Wendy
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 09:24:20

Damn, I was in Laguna Beach last week doing “library stuff.” I should have taken my digital camera and played paparazzi. Selling those pics to the tabloids could have bought me a lot of books.

7. Bonnie
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 11:14:14

Lee Ann Rhymes is definitely not Meg. But I guess we’ll see Saturday night.

Wendy, I don’t think they were filming there last week. I think filming’s been over for a while since the movie’s on TV this weekend. Or maybe they were. Hm…..

8. library addict
    Mar 19, 2009 @ 16:28:24

The Northern Lights movie was shot in Canada.

A color ebook reader would be nice. But not for that kind of money. Yikes.

9. Brenda P.
    Mar 22, 2009 @ 18:50:23

Anita C. March

“Speaking of NR movies, I stumbled across 4 of them on a webpage that gave me free acess to watch them on my PC. ”

Can you please tell me what this webpage is so that I can view them too?

10. Helen
    Mar 25, 2009 @ 05:42:49

I’ve seen all the NR movies. Her books were terrific but whoever did the movies, ah, the killed the books. Heather Locklear as a lead? Man oh man, I hope Nora doesn’t sign any more movie contracts with people who mess up her work like that.

Great website. Thanks.