Net Book Sales in February Up Despite Depressed Economy

I haven’t done a good job of posting these figures recently, but net book sales for the year are up 6.2% in 2008 and 4.8% in February alone. Given that we are either in a recession or on the cusp, I would think any amount of increase is positive. Adult paperback is seeing the largest increase at 30.8% v. adult mass market increasing only 0.4% and adult hardcovers falling 26.4%.   Other figures included:

• Adult paperback climbed 30.8% to $128.8 million.
  • Children’s/YA hardcover rose 8.1% to $40.7 million.
  • Children’s/YA paperback rose 7.2% to $37.2 million.
  • E-books were up 6.7% to $2.6 million.
  • Adult mass market rose 0.4% to $59.5 million.
  • Adult hardcovers fell 26.4% to $83.5 million.

AAP via ShelfAwareness.

1. Sherry Thomas
    Apr 28, 2008 @ 08:59:51

My new contract contains a bonus clause in case either book is published in hardcover. But I’d just as soon forgo that bonus and not publish in hardcover. I think $7 for a book is plenty to pay (I don’t know why I’m so shallow. I don’t blink at paying $15 for lunch but I balk at trade paperback prices).

Anyway, I sometimes think mass market paperbacks books would actually do better when people have to cut down on more expensive forms of entertainment. A paperback is cheaper than a movie and lasts longer. I also think the sales of e-books would go on improving, as gas price keep going up and people cut down on their driving.

2. Sherry Thomas
    Apr 28, 2008 @ 11:48:33

Hmm, looks like I didn’t read properly. So adult paperback went up 30% but adult mass market rose only 0.4%. Does that mean all the rise came from trade paperback? Or does adult paperback mean trade paperback?

3. Robin
    Apr 28, 2008 @ 12:08:59

(I don't know why I'm so shallow. I don't blink at paying $15 for lunch but I balk at trade paperback prices).

Maybe because you buy more paperbacks than lunches?

These increases makes some sense to me, because I think reading is a relatively inexpensive form of entertainment as compared to movies, for example, and doesn’t everyone want a break from the economy by diving into a great book? At least until we’re foregoing books for rice.

Apr 28, 2008 @ 13:12:44

I think adult paperback means “trade paperbacks”.

5. Rose Marie Wolf
    Apr 28, 2008 @ 23:22:42

I notice that hardcover books dropped, and I can understand why. I can’t afford much for books, and I figure it’s the same with many other people. With hardcovers at 20+ a pop…

6. Sherry Thomas
    Apr 29, 2008 @ 08:56:36

Maybe because you buy more paperbacks than lunches?

LOL. For me it’s just that eating is a more primal need. If I don’t eat, I suffer. If I don’t read a particular book, I don’t suffer quite as much.