Mar 12 2012
Visa responds to erotica authors and say that it isn’t imposing any kinds of restrictions on fiction:
Relevant to this situation, the sale of a limited category of extreme imagery depicting rape, bestiality and child pornography is or is very likely to be unlawful in many places and would be prohibited on the Visa system whether or not the images have formally been held to be illegal in any particular country. Visa would take no action regarding lawful material that seeks to explore erotica in a fictional or educational manner.
Your move Paypal.
Amazon is seeking to expand its original digital video offerings with television-type episodes:
The driving force behind these hires is Amazon Studios, which solicits screenplays, pitches and test movies from anyone on the web. This means that unlike Netflix, Amazon isn’t looking to compete with television cable channels in bidding on projects from established industry names; it’s doing something more homespun, closer to YouTube or (especially in its focus on animation) even Fox, but with a professional sheen.
Apple files a motion to dismiss in the civil suits alleging horizontal price fixing arguing that Kindle is not a competitor. Publishers all cry “noooo” as if Kindle isn’t even a competitor to Apple, it is hard to argue that Amazon is a monopolistic power dooming all of publishing.
“Nor does this ‘Kindle theory’ make sense on its own terms. For example, if Amazon was a ‘threat’ that needed to be squelched by means of an illegal conspiracy, why would Apple offer Amazon’s Kindle app on the iPad?
Of course, Apple doesn’t say why it won’t allow in app purchasing for Amazon apps or why it rejected a book for having a LINK to Amazon’s bookstore. That’s not anti competitive, right?
Wal-Mart has a new promotional site where people can offer up items to be placed on the Wal-mart shelves. I saw one author on Twitter campaigning for her book to be placed “on the shelf”.
There aren’t any new mainstream deals that I can find so this week I thought I would present twenty titles that are either free or under $2.99 in certain genres. This will include a number of self published titles and I can’t vouch for the quality of any of them. Today I am presenting twenty titles in the PNR/UF/SFF genre.
- Veiled Eyes by C L Bevill * $0 * A | BN | K | S <- the reviews say to not be afraid of the terrible cover
- Powerful Magic by Karen Whiddon * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Promise by Kristie Cook * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- The Ghost Hunter by Lori Brighton * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Eternal Eden by Nicole Williams * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Justice Incarnate by Regan Black * $0 * A | BN | K | S
- Caged by Amber Lynn Natusch * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S <- YA. Looks like it might be for fans of Lilith Saintcrow.
- Descended by Blood by Angeline Kace * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S <– YA but it looks pretty good. I bought it.
- The Pearl of Paradise by Jean Brashear * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Bridger by Megan Curd * $0.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Sexy As Sin by Steena Holmes * $1.49 * A | BN | K | S
- Craved by Stephanie Nelson * $1.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Honor Bound by C.J. Archer * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Bound to the Prince by Deborah Court * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Gemini Moon by Elysa Hendricks * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H P Mallory * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- The Vampire King by Heather Killough-Walden * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Angel Burn by L.A. Weatherly * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- Destiny Unchained by Leia Shaw * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S
- A Kingdom’s Possession by Nicole J. Persun * $2.99 * A | BN | K | S