Monday News: Tap dancing cover; Ill strikes down internet tax; tablet...

our goals are as follows: We will strive to strike a balance between essential cyclical conversations (e.g those about diversity and representation and critical writing in SFF) and the New and Shiny catchprases or topics (e.g. Grimdark) that steal the stage in 2013. We will do our best to capture a broad swath of the many fandoms and subcategories that fall under the SFF umbrella, including (but not limited to) reviews of novels/novellas/short stories, television shows, gaming, art (professional and fan), movie talk, as well as essays about the different aspects of SFF overall. We will acknowledge the fact that SFF conversations are also happening in forums that are not SFF-exclusive (e.g. at locations very much like our own blog). We will maintain the gender balance of contributors. More importantly, we will attempt to maintain the gender balance of the content itself. We will solicit voices that cover different age ranges of SFF fiction – because the Young Adult and Middle Grade categories are exploding with books and discussions – as well as voices from often dismissed subgenres like Urban Fantasy and Romantic SFF. We’ll also do our very best to include international voices, beyond the United States and United Kingdom.

Head on over to their site for the details on how to submit. The Book Smugglers

1. Jia
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 05:33:48

re: Allegiant
    It’s not just romance readers, I think, who’d be irritated with the spoiler in question.

2. Rosie
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 07:10:54

I saw the Allegiant spoiler on Friday and immediately canceled my preorder.

3. Sirius
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 10:17:59

Wow ok I have read spoiler right now and going to cancel my preorder in the next few minutes too. I love spoilers , love them seek them out – I demanded my friend to read me a last page of Harry Potter when she was waiting on line ( no she did not agree lol). And boy am I ever so pleased that I read this spoiler. Thanks.

4. Justine
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 10:57:34

Whatever the spoiler is, I wonder if TPTB will change it in the film version since it seems like the spoiler is unpopular with readers. Assuming Divergent (in production) and Insurgent (script ordered) bring in enough $ to get Allegiant made, I wonder if Veronica Roth will insist that the film remain true to the book.

5. Amanda
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 11:01:33

I haven’t read the spoilers but so many readers adverse reaction to them makes me kinda glad I never got around to finishing Divergent

6. mari
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 11:32:13

Oh dear. I’ve had Divergant on my TBR stack for the longest time. Now I that I know there’s a plot development down the road that’ll piss off my romance reading sensibilities, I think I am not even going to bother. I am a little fed up with distpoian fiction anyway and to not even get something of a romance HEA to lighten the gloomines equals epic fail to me. Thanks for the heads up. Wish I could donate my ebook somewhere…

7. Rosie
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 17:55:36

Mari: You could still read Divergent as a standalone. Obviously not all of the questions are answered in the first book, but there is a sort of sense of closure. When the 2nd book came out, I wasn’t just dying to get my hands on it b/c I HAD to see how the story continued. I’m going to pretend that the 2nd book was the end, and be glad I didn’t spend money on the 3rd.

8. Sirius
    Oct 21, 2013 @ 23:05:54

I certainly give her kudos for having guts to write this actually, but my kudos are conditional so to speak – if she starts to come up with explanations and/ or excuses I really won’t care for it. Stand by your artistic vision IMO if she does that, I will definitely check out her next book. But respect or not – I am not reading this one. This is one plot development I won’t read even if the writing is fantastic, no way.