Monday News: Super Bowl Commercials; Java Exploits; Beverly Jenkins’ Image Award...

Possibly the best ad, however, was the Oreo twitter response.  The power went out in the SuperDome in New Orleans due to a power surge or something (the power company tweeted it wasn’t their fault).  Oreo tweeted this ad:

Oreo SuperBowl ad

The worst tweets:

Oops! He meant shut.

Jay Z’s response  summed up the statements of many who suggested Beyonce’s live performance at half time may have sucked up too much energy:

As noted before, disabling the Java plug-in on your Web browser doesn’t require uninstalling it from your machine entirely, and it won’t prevent you from Java-based software outside of your Web browser. It just means that you’ll see an image like the screenshot above when you happen to visit one of the relatively few remaining websites that use Java applets. If you find you really need it for some sites, you can always disable it in your main browser but keep it enabled in a secondary browser that you use just for those sites.

full_1343864833amaze.me.3

1. library addict
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 04:33:49

I thought most of the commercials this year were boring. The Oreo cookie whisper fight in the library was a funny concept, but I didn’t like all of the destruction. I did like the Clydesdales one.

That maze looks fun!

2. Cindy
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 06:13:18

The Go Daddy commercial made me sick and put the final touch on me never wanting anything to do with their tasteless company and Danica Patrick.

3. mari
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 07:51:13

Don’t get all the Jenkins love at all. I have tried to read her books, but I never finish. Dialog is cringe inducingly expository. Wish someone could explain her apeal.

4. Ridley
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 07:59:01

@mari: I’m with you. I really want to like her, as she’s THE multicultural/AA historical author, but her books bore the tits off me.

5. Meri
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 08:23:08

@mari:
    I read one of her books. It wasn’t awful, just very meh – classic C-range. Like Ridley, I so wanted to like what I was reading, but the prose and construction of it just didn’t work for me. I think her success has a lot to do with writing characters and plots that aren’t that common in romance (and certainly should be more common), rather than exceptional writing talent.

Very sad to have missed the maze. Not sad to have missed the Super Bowl.

6. Morgan
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 09:32:25

Has GoDaddy ever had an ad that wasn’t disgusting/sexist/stupid? And not gonna lie — the Clydesdale one made me tear up a little.

7. Sunita
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 09:36:39

I’ve read a few things by Jenkins and am reading her latest release right now, and I’ll disagree a little bit (but not entirely) with you all. I would argue her writing is pretty competent, and that liking or disliking it has more to do with taste. I can see why readers might find it boring, and I grant that it has a lot of exposition in it. The pace is slow and the dialogue and internal monologues can sound a bit formal and deliberate. But I think that might be a style choice, a feature rather than a flaw. In my head, it sounds like the way people might have talked in the period in which she’s writing (and it does sound like some books I’ve read that were written in that period).

8. Jayne
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 09:42:22

@Morgan: Has anyone tweeted any names for the baby Clydesdale?

9. cleo
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 10:23:11

I thought the ads were pretty lack luster this year. I miss the days of clever ads like the herding cats ad. I enjoyed the Tide miracle stain and the Samsung next big thing, but mostly I thought they were meh.

I’ve read a couple Beverly Jenkins and I’m with Sunita – I think it’s a matter of taste more than anything. I’ve found that I have to be in the right mood for her, but I did really enjoy Indigo, because the story swept me away.

10. Ros
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 11:39:41

If those small publishers are doing the work of a publisher in providing proper editing, cover art, marketing and so on, then why wouldn’t you classify them as publishers? I’m not sure what the argument about size is.

11. Susan
    Feb 04, 2013 @ 21:28:12

@Morgan: Didn’t watch the game, but someone told me about the Clydesdale commercial a couple of days ago so I checked it out on Youtube. That, in turn, led me to a slew of the older ones I’d never seen, like the donkey and 9-11 tribute. They may be obvious and manipulative, but I still awwwed over every one of them.