Monday News: Privacy wear; Another list of books; Comic Sans inventor...

Into the Darkness

1. Carolyne
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 07:09:13

I was absolutely convinced “The Secret History” was about my university. I also recall that one of the characters had to live in a cruddy, health-threatening rented room, just like I had to one semester. I reread and reread that book and tried to make all my friends read it. I should read it again now and see how it holds up.

This mistyping made my morning, but I suppose you’ll want to fix it:

Created by a Microsoft employee, “Consider the Lobster” by David Foster Wallace has been used on everything from road signs to Vatican bulletins.

Sep 02, 2013 @ 07:51:07

@Carolyne: Ah ha ha. Clearly I shouldn’t do more than one thing at one time!

3. Kate Sherwood
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 07:57:34

@Carolyne:

It’s my favourite typo in a long time! I hope it gets left in.

I’m seeing it now, on my little MS Word pull-down menu…

Colonna MT
    Comic Sans MS
    Consider the Lobster DFW…

4. library addict
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 09:54:28

I have never understood the hatred for Comic Sans.

It irks me a lot when the BluRay release gets special features and the DVD none (or very limited) as I don’t have a BluRay player yet (behind the times I know). It also irks me when I buy a DVD and a year later they release a special edition with tons of special features. But releasing a bunch of editions with different special features at the same time is just mean.

5. Darlynne
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 10:21:43

I suppose this is one reason to be glad I don’t have a Blu-Ray player. This extra content bears a resemblance to all the airline fees: creating revenue, not through innovation and service but through fees. Here, the content is enhanced–usually a good thing–except it’s spread all over the place, making it difficult and expensive to purchase. And fast food companies are unwilling to pay workers a living wage because they say we would revolt against paying an additional .25 per hamburger? Morons.

Based on all the alerts I’m getting, Random House has now joined Penguin in lowering many of their book prices across the board (at Amazon). $6.83 appears to be the new black for Ben Aaronovitch, Kevin Hearne, Devon Monk, Ilona Andrews, M. K. Hobson, Seanan McGuire, Lynn Kurland and others. Anyone else seeing this, know what’s behind it or how long it will last?

6. Meljean Brook
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 11:45:09

@Darlynne: I’m not sure if the discount is coming from Amazon or from the publisher. Many of my Kindle books were marked down to $6.83 as well — but at least two are $5.99.

These prices aren’t reflected at B&N so I don’t think it’s a new list price (from the publisher) — unless B&N is just behind on updating the catalogs. So right now, I suspect the discount is coming from Amazon.

I have no idea how long it will last.

7. hapax
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 12:38:58

I think every student should spend the summer before going off to college reading as many romances, mysteries, space operas, or whatever recreational reading drug is their choice as they can possibly cram in.

The good Lord knows they won’t have much time for it once they get to school. My daughter is an English major and bemoans that she “never has time to read.” I sort of stared at her, and she said, “Well, you know, read something I don’t have to write a paper on!”

8. Preeti
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 12:57:07

@Meljean Brook: I stumbled into an Amazon promo for YA books when I purchased two being-made-into-movies books this weekend for Kindle because they were 3.99 each (Divergent, The Fault in Our Stars). Right afterward, I got an email from Amazon saying that I now qualified for a promotional credit to purchase up to 10 additional YA books, from a select list of bestsellers, for $1 each. Real question: Are promos like this only possible because agency pricing settlement? Or could (and did) Amazon conduct promos like this anyway? Here’s the link if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/YAdeal

9. Darlynne
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 13:38:12

@Preeti: The same thing happened when I bought some scifi/fantasy titles yesterday. I was given a link to nine other titles in the genre that could be purchased for $1.00. I wasn’t familiar with any of them, unfortunately, and didn’t feel like adding to the TFB pile.

10. Bitchie
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 15:17:46

Gamers have been dealing with special edition hell for years. Pre-order the game from Gamestop and get THIS super cool piece of armor, pre-order from Best Buy and get this exclusive weapon, and pre-order from Target to get special early access to the game. I’m not surprised it’s finally making it’s way to DVD/BluRay sales, just another way to stick it to fans in an effort to soak up as much cash as possible.

11. AH@badassbookreviews
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 16:02:38

They did a similar thing with the Twilight DVDs a while back. I recall people saying that they were planning on buying multiple editions just to get all the special features. Guess what? All the special features somehow found their way to YouTube and it was possible to watch them there. I know that was not the intent of the DVD publishers, but if you make things too complicated for people to buy, they will find other means to get what they were willing to pay for.

12. Linda
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 17:18:09

As a Kindergarten teacher, Comic Sans is my first go-to font when making Language Arts activities. To 4- and 5-year-olds, an “a” or a “g” in a “regular font” looks nothing like the a and g we teach them via our classroom materials. And to the little ones, that difference often equals a completely new letter for them.

13. Tina
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 18:11:47

I confess, I used to frickin’ love Comic Sans. Now I feel sad for it that it needs defending. :( It is not the font’s fault that people overuse it or use it in professional documents or presentations where they are not actually using a comic speech bubble.

Personally , I reserve my disdain for Times New Roman. Too establishment!

14. azteclady
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 18:34:16

@AH@badassbookreviews: And they have done the same with the Harry Potter movies.

It irks me so much that, if I want to get at least a modicum of extras for the latter movies, I must buy the DVD/Blue Ray/Violet whatever package edition–a plain widescreen DVD has nothing. Why on earth would I buy three copies of the same movie, at the same time, from the same vendor?

15. Meljean Brook
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 18:40:33

@Preeti: Honestly, I don’t know. I suspect that it’s because the Agency agreement is gone, but I really don’t know the specifics of what Amazon is allowed to do now (Jane probably has a better grasp of those specifics than I do). You’re probably right that they can offer different promotions now because of the change in terms, but I can’t tell you that with any real knowledge or authority.

Speaking as an author and a reader, though, I’m glad to see the discounts finally going through.

16. Wahoo Suze
    Sep 02, 2013 @ 19:03:46

I love comic sans. It’s one of the very few fonts I’ve come across in which the ONE, small L, and capital I are easy to tell from one another. Also, zero and capital O. I always use it for labels and tables in which accuracy is important.