Monday News: Nook Tablet rumors; Kindle Serials; 50 Shades irony; Kindle...

1. joanne
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 04:40:38

“You can’t just hijack something someone else owns.”

Every single time I think human beings can not possibly get any dumber someone proves me wrong.

2. Meri
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 04:45:00

@joanne: But she totally changed it from the fanfic version, so it must be an original work – not at all hijacked. (:rolleyes:)

3. Azure
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 06:40:44

Says her agent without any irony ““You can’t just hijack something someone else owns.”

*headdesk* Just when I thought I’d heard it all, I’m proved wrong.

4. DS
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 06:56:58

James and her agent seem a bit short sighted to me. I wonder who has the merchandizing rights? If James still owns them then she should consider creating a franchise and charge the woman plus a percentage of her profits.

5. Deb
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 08:51:26

Yeah, I snickered. Good luck with that, legal team.

I already have the most souped up Nook; not sure if I should feel bad about not having a Windows operating system- has anyone ever felt bad about not having Windows?- but I would LOVE more content. I mean, how about even Spotify, you know?

6. Karenmc
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 09:35:40

Don’t legal teams have minions whose task it is to alert them to irony?

7. Gwen Hayes
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 10:13:33

I saw that James story last week and thought it was like an Onion story. It’s for real? Not a hoax?

8. Lynn S.
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 11:09:00

So James has plans to become the Mary Kay of BDSM? Any guesses on what make and model of red car the top salespeople will get? __________ (insert your preferred form of maniacal laughter here).

9. sara
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 14:59:54

Two weeks after I bought my nook tablet they dropped the price. If they seriously release a new and better version next month I will be so unamused.

10. Joy
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 18:26:03

I got one of the free Dickens Kindle Serials (they currently have The Pickwick Papers and Oliver Twist). I read the 1st installment of the Pickwick Papers in one sitting–a very nice, digestible chunk and a pleasant way to read Dickens. I think the Dickens ones are using the original serialization chapters, too. I like the pacing and approach for classics, but I tend to gulp modern works so I don’t know what others I’ll try.

11. Moriah Jovan
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 18:52:16

I am incapable of being surprised by that woman’s chutzpah.

12. theo
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 19:19:24

I’ve had my Nook Tablet for awhile now. I rooted it right after I bought it. For all intents and purposes, it’s no different now than any Android based tablet. I have almost everything available in Play unless it’s for Jelly Bean. And I did it with the SD card, not internally. So if I want to run the BN stock system, I just switch out the cards.

I have yet to find a comparable unit in the price point BN is selling in, but will see when the new model comes out. Oh, wait! What am I thinking? It will run Windows. I will run as far as possible…

And I’m still laughing hysterically over the whole 50 Shades thing now. You can’t fix stupid fits so well here…

13. Carrie G
    Sep 10, 2012 @ 21:15:48

I realize some people dislike ads, but really, the ads on the Kindle ereaders are totally ignorable. They aren’t on the screen when you’re reading, just on the screensaver and a a small ad on the “home” page. The Fire ads might be different than the Kindle ads I get, but I haven’t once been bothered by them. I purposely chose the Kindle with ads for the lower price and haven’t regretted it.